English/History... or anything else Humanities related (1 Viewer)

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
Anyone taking the first year english or history courses?

Would you like some advice on which ones to choose when you do? I am sure between me and Blah Says She we can cover about 75% of Humanities courses and tell you whether they are a YAY or NAY subject.

So.. the offer is there.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Hrm, do you know anyone who posts here that does asian studies?

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
I don't know of anyone that does, but am excellent friends with people that are in most years.

Can I inquire about something on your behalf?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Bolkonski said:
I don't know of anyone that does, but am excellent friends with people that are in most years.

oh that's so nice of you, don;t bother, only neo :D

I was going to do arts law but I;m inclining toward arts commerce now.
btw, 1001 post. wwooooohoooo :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Bolkonski said:

I'd appreciate it mate :)

I'm just after general feelings about the course, especially the Chinese language units (preferably from non background speakers as well). I've talked to people about the law course, but I have no real idea what the hell to expect with asian studies. :eek:

omg_a

HSC
Do you know anything about the language courses? specifically, french? how they are run or anything?

i'm also interested in international relations, so maybe some history in that??? any advice?

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Yay! I'm planning on majoring in history so definitely need some advice....I'm also planning on doing an english course on postmodernism, I did it for HSC and loved it so much that I want to keep it up at uni. If anyone knows anything about a subject like that any feedback on it would be much appreciated!

As for history, I'm most interested in the theory of history/historiography, rather than just case studies. Bolkonski, do you know anything about courses like that or are they all kind of case study stuff? And with the history courses, which ones would you recommend? I don't think I've covered any of the areas offered in ANU history, and I'm interested in both modern and ancient. Any stand outs? Are lecturers a big factor or are should I just be looking at the courses themselves?

Thanks!

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Yeah i'm pretty sure i am going to do arts - just depends what course...

i'm looking at majoring in history and doing minors english and religious studies ( i have no idea if that is put in the right way at all)

um with history i've had a glace over at the 1st year courses - what do u make of them? most interesting? most interesting lecturer?

i'm still not 100% sure what i want to choose - i'm looking at that tommorrow - so i'll post them up and if u dont mind saying how u found them.

thanks for all ur help - makes it seem a little less daunting

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
What are the Yay and nay subjects in a modern history course?

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG too many questions..
ok.
I am going to take this one at a time.
Sorry if I am slow.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
neo_o said:
I'd appreciate it mate :)

I'm just after general feelings about the course, especially the Chinese language units (preferably from non background speakers as well). I've talked to people about the law course, but I have no real idea what the hell to expect with asian studies. :eek:
Well, Asian studies really does speak for itself. Basically half the people I know do it, and half of those often end up going overseas for a year as a part of their course.
As for Chinese, I know a guy (non-asian) who was in 3rd year last year, and was pretty psyched about taking a first year language course, and so he picked Chinese, all pumped to get a HD. Well, the feedback I got from him was that for a first year course the standard is super high and the teaching obviously is just as high. He was struggling just as much as first years... I got the general feeling from him that this wasn't a bad thing... it was just hard.

Asian studies - from another friend, is great, because you can wack your units everywhere. I think a bit of IR a bit of history or whatever you want. This helps people, I presume, not to get bored. But from the gist of the people I know, if you want more theory and more reading, go for International relations... European focus in that. Asian studies, languages.
After two years of indonesian a friend of mine was able to speak fluently and actually go to Indonesia and hang out etc.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
omg_a said:
Do you know anything about the language courses? specifically, french? how they are run or anything?

i'm also interested in international relations, so maybe some history in that??? any advice?
Yeah, Internation Relations is good because quite a few courses cross over to Internation relations, and also, Political science courses, which is a huuuuuggeee department at ANU. They take 'polsci' very very serious here.

History first year, first semester isn't too crash hot and is basically just case studies... although the ones that would cross over to IR well would be the Australian history course in first sem, and the British Empire course in second semester.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
gemita said:
Yay! I'm planning on majoring in history so definitely need some advice....I'm also planning on doing an english course on postmodernism, I did it for HSC and loved it so much that I want to keep it up at uni. If anyone knows anything about a subject like that any feedback on it would be much appreciated!

As for history, I'm most interested in the theory of history/historiography, rather than just case studies. Bolkonski, do you know anything about courses like that or are they all kind of case study stuff? And with the history courses, which ones would you recommend? I don't think I've covered any of the areas offered in ANU history, and I'm interested in both modern and ancient. Any stand outs? Are lecturers a big factor or are should I just be looking at the courses themselves?

Thanks!
Well Gemita, I don't think you get much of a choice in the Historiography department, aside from the fact that almost every historian you look at You (you by yourself) have to consider from what perspective they are writing and to what end. If you detest case studies, you will most likely detest first year history, because thats what they are. But I think the Rome: Republic to Empire (if its on first sem) does a lot to question source validity and what the context of historians are etc etc etc, so that would probably be your best bet.
But if you wait around until second year first semester, there is a Honours pre-req course: History and Theory which covers a lot of historiography.

As for English, if you have a hankering for post-modernism, you should probably find out where it fits in the course of the novel, take the excellent course Intro to novel in second semester. IT basically tracks the whole path of the novel and all of its different forms. Warning, you have to read a novel a week, but good thing is, if you can manage it, you can expand your book collection by about 13 books.
There are more specific courses in later year for Post Modernism, but not too specific, but I presume the 19th and 20th literature course run in later years would focus heavily on it.
Also, to study the MODERNIST poem of the 20th century, do Exploring Poetry. TS Eliot. Do it!

As for History first year. I did British History and Rome, but had many many people tell me that the other combo, Australian history (1st sem) and American hist (2nd sem) was much better. I am going to go out on a limb and say codswallop. Although there was moments that I could have stabbed my lecturers with my biro, and actually daydreamed about it, they are awesome classes, good introductions to the whole university history thing.
Do Rome, and do British. The history involved, I think, is much more beneficial as it uncovers a lot of falsities, and makes you think for yourself. It also shows you how the worlds powers got the way they did. Stuff Australia, studying Rome will come in much more handy, especially when you want to use Latin and sound like a complete smart arse in an argument.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
MissSavage29 said:
Yeah i'm pretty sure i am going to do arts - just depends what course...

i'm looking at majoring in history and doing minors english and religious studies ( i have no idea if that is put in the right way at all)

um with history i've had a glace over at the 1st year courses - what do u make of them? most interesting? most interesting lecturer?

i'm still not 100% sure what i want to choose - i'm looking at that tommorrow - so i'll post them up and if u dont mind saying how u found them.

thanks for all ur help - makes it seem a little less daunting
I sorta really answered all of this.
But hey, if you have any more specifics. feel free.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
well as for Chinese, being a native speaker I can tell you it's quite a challenging language to learn, especially for westerners. Most people can't get rid of the distinctive accent for many years into it...

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
like americans trying to sound australian.... shudder..

AWWW STRAAAHHHH LIAAA

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Hey thanks Bolkonski! I don't detest case studies so it's not really a problem....rome definitely sounds good so I'll probably choose that one, among others. I have to agree with you about the Australian/American history courses. I guess they're aimed more at students who want to use history to put an international relations course into context or who are into politics. Rome sounds great, and I do really want to know more about it just because everyone is always referencing the romans....thanks heaps!

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
yeah, go the romans.

personally I would rather read Shakespeare than Cicero or whatever, but hey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)