English Extension 2! (1 Viewer)

tom-spin

HSC
Hi guys, I'm currently in year 11 and doing Ext1 Eng, Ext1 math, legal, econ, IPT and SOR1.

For those who have done extension 2 english, could I just get your feedback on the pro's and con's of the subject and whether I should consider it or not?
I am doing quite well in both adv and ext and am looking into ext2.

Is the subject risky or are the rewards worth it?

Comment and thanks!

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i suggest doing it if you can come up with an idea you're confident with before you start i.e. in te holidays leading up to the first term of year 12 try to come up with a concept/idea. If you don't know what you're doing then you may have a harder time than most.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I say if you like writing - do it. The ideas will come in their own time. I got mine when I was staring at a door handle.

Flocculent

HSC
I agree with shadowdude. If you like writing then do it. But the christmas holidays is the best time to start most of the work because you already know what you have to do. So yeah start early and it will definitely pay off :D
The assessments for english extension 2 aren't too bad either as long as you know your idea well and you know how to express them clearly then you'll ace them. Plus you don't have to worry about it during the HSC 'cause it would have been sent into marking already so yeah.
One negative would be trying to maintain your motivation to work. I sorta slack off during my classes 'cause I have a double period of it so yeah...

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you want to do ext2 you should start right at this moment. Writing a novel is not an easy task. The pro is, there is no class. Therefore you get free periods. You have the flexibility to work at your own pace, there is no deadline. The con is, you receive little support from teachers. Yes you will meet up with them every so often, but essentially you are by yourself.

happy studying!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Write a novel? It's an 8000 word short story. Hardly a novel.

And you get as much support from your teacher as you want. If you bug them with constant drafts and tell them to hurry up and finish reading, you'll get feedback that way. Though I had a peer review system going on with a few other EX2 members and a few other teachers to give me feedback on work.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was replying to jnney - but without quote tags.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I realise this. I used your reply as a basis to give advice to OP.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know you did. But I reveal to you my reason for posting:

Post count +1 =P

jnney

lemon
HSC
Oh sorry. Indeed, you a correct. But that depends on your school. You should definitely ask your teachers about it.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What are the other options if not a 8000 word short story? I assume there must a poetry anthology of some kind or a speech as other options?

Zephyrio

HSC
I really enjoyed the subject. It really allows you to explore your interests within literature. If you have a passion for writing, poems, speeches or anything of that sort, this will be right up your alley. You can get the thing done relatively quickly if you utilise your time well during your holidays, and it will be one unit down.

I can't say that marking is going to be consistent, but if you are after personal development and research in fields which really interest you and which are not restricted by the dross that is the 2U English syllabus, then go for it! One word of advice though: do not be swayed to write short stories "just because". There are other mediums there as well, such as poetry, critical response, etc.

airblitz7

HSC
You really have to be organised. If you're one of those people who are more than capable of coping with the subject, but are lazy/disorganised, then you should probably really change your schedule if you want to do well. The teachers practically don't help you with anything, they just send you off to go and do the research yourselves. So you really need to be committed to the course and motivated enough to do well.

The rest would follow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)