• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Advanced v. Standard (1 Viewer)

lightthefuze

HSC
Hi all,
I've been constantly thinking about whether or not I should be doing Standard or Advanced English, here is what you need to know:

- Since Primary, I have been extremely good at reading, writing, comprehension and spelling
- For Years 3, 5, 7 and 9 I've been scoring the second highest-highest bands for each english part tested
- I've been in the top English Advanced classes since Years 8-10
- I've been scoring B's every year (eek!) (pretty much the majority of Advanced students have)

My opinions are:

Advanced:
Pros:
- I've been working so hard since Kindergarten to be where I am now, so why not collect the fruits of my labour?
- Higher scaling
- I'd put a bit more effort in to score a high band 5 or band 6

Cons:
- It'd be a bit hard to score a 90 since there's a lot of competition within the grade and in the state

Standard:
Pros:
- I'd be getting a high score for this level of English
- High rank in the grade
- Somewhat easier content (?)

Cons:
- I have worked hard to be this good in English and I end up doing a low level of English (seems a bit disheartening and embarrassing)
- Low scaling
- Less challenging and stimulating

DEBATE BELOW

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd go with Advanced as the aligning is better for marks

cookiez69

What a stupid name, Nat.
HSC
Definitely advanced. Like what BLIT said, the aligning is terrible for standard and its much harder to get a Band 6 for standard than it is advanced.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced all the way. It isn't that much more difficult than standard anyway....

deloving

HSC
From what I know being in the top 25% in Advanced is equivelant to that of the top 1% of Standard. The aligning is that bad. If you are good at English then you're expected to do Advanced.

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Advanced would suit you more, especially with your career aspirations. It would also make you more appealing in a university interview.

enoilgam

HSC
It'd be a bit hard to score a 90 since there's a lot of competition within the grade and in the state
It's actually harder to score a band 6 in Standard due to its nature. In 2012, only 0.5% of people doing Standard got a Band 6, compared to 12.6% for Advanced. If I were you, I would stick to Advanced because there isnt much of an advantage with Standard (as has been mentioned previously, the difference in difficulty isnt that much). Besides, by your own admission, you are good at English anyway.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
If your school is competitive for Advanced then that suggests you have the added advantage of not requiring a top 10 ranking to secure a Band 6. It can really only benefit you to do Advanced :)

And if you are good at English why not do Advanced and go on to do Ext 1? Ext 1 also scales really well and is pretty easy content wise too! :)

R4diance

HSC
It's actually harder to score a band 6 in Standard due to its nature. In 2012, only 0.5% of people doing Standard got a Band 6, compared to 12.6% for Advanced. If I were you, I would stick to Advanced because there isnt much of an advantage with Standard (as has been mentioned previously, the difference in difficulty isnt that much). Besides, by your own admission, you are good at English anyway.
These statistics are very important. Go for Advanced! :) (or extension too :p)

spatula232

HSC
I'm not that great at English, yet my teacher said to do Advanced for sure. Seeing your results, id say you should go with it

MrPresident

HSC
I have to do Advanced anyways cause Fort Street doesn't offer standard. I don't think any of the selective high schools offer standard in fact. At least the top ones

Also, if English is compulsory, then does that mean that the mark which you get for english is automatically counted towards your ATAR, even if you do above 10 units?

R4diance

HSC
I have to do Advanced anyways cause Fort Street doesn't offer standard. I don't think any of the selective high schools offer standard in fact. At least the top ones

Also, if English is compulsory, then does that mean that the mark which you get for english is automatically counted towards your ATAR, even if you do above 10 units?
Yes. The best 2 units of English will be counted to your ATAR, regardless of what subjects you choose.

enoilgam

HSC

It's be best two units of english - if you do EX1 or EX2, then they can count as part of the best two units.

Elisa Sweet

HSC
Don't choose because of the scaling. You can only benefit from it if you get a band 5 or 6. If you are good at it, and think you can do really well, then go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)