English advanced paper 1 Short answer Tips? (1 Viewer)

athena.

HSC
During reading time, are you looking for specific techniques or just focusing on understanding the text? (or both) and how do you go about answering comparative questions? Like if you have to choose one of the previous texts how do you say something different about it?
1. both, this comes naturally with practice so don’t overthink this too much
2. depends on the number of marks for the question, but generally, i simply outline a broad similarity between the texts in terms of the question, and then delve into the nuances of each text in regards to the question, and this is where the techniques and analysis come in. note that the nuances/differences that you do discuss still have to be relevant to each other and the question. also may be obvious but don't restrict your analysis to your texts - teachers like it when you make a smart sounding statement linking your analysis to some overarching message about society (and your module, of course).

abelsj01

HSC
what are some really good to know, fairly common visual techniques?

Last edited:

Cardscook77

HSC
  • Always fill out the lines they give you.
  • Answer the question directly in the first sentence.
  • BE SPECIFIC. E.g. 'the author conveys emotions' SHOULD BE written as 'the author conveys emotions of loneliness and isolation through his depiction of...'.
  • EVERY quote must be supported with a technique to explain it.
  • You DO NOT have to understand the text. But you always must ANSWER THE QUESTION.
  • Markers love sophisticated sounding answers so simple things like changing 'the personification shown in' to 'the personified representation of' 'Quote...' highlights/reveals/demonstrates/emphasises/elucidates/conveys/exhibits.
  • Essentially: Answer the question in the first sentence BEING SPECIFIC. Find a quote with a technique. Explain the techniques effect LINK IT BACK to your first sentence (which answers the question). With this framework you won't go wrong.
  • When in doubt, make an idea up. As long as it ANSWERS THE QUESTION and you explain the idea with relevant techniques and quotes, it is fine.
  • Kiss your full marks goodbye if you don't USE UP ALL THE LINES WHICH HAVE BEEN PROVIDED. I cannot stress the importance of this enough.
Good luck!

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
  • BE SPECIFIC. E.g. 'the author conveys emotions' SHOULD BE written as 'the author conveys emotions of loneliness and isolation through his depiction of...'.
  • You DO NOT have to understand the text. But you always must ANSWER THE QUESTION.
  • Markers love sophisticated sounding answers so simple things like changing 'the personification shown in' to 'the personified representation of' 'Quote...' highlights/reveals/demonstrates/emphasises/elucidates/conveys/exhibits.
  • Essentially: Answer the question in the first sentence BEING SPECIFIC. Find a quote with a technique. Explain the techniques effect LINK IT BACK to your first sentence (which answers the question). With this framework you won't go wrong.
  • When in doubt, make an idea up. As long as it ANSWERS THE QUESTION and you explain the idea with relevant techniques and quotes, it is fine.
  • Kiss your full marks goodbye if you don't USE UP ALL THE LINES WHICH HAVE BEEN PROVIDED. I cannot stress the importance of this enough.
Good luck!
ily

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Good luck!
THANK YOUUUU

can you give us an example for like a three/four marker from HSC last year I just want to see it in action 😭
How do you stop whatever you're writing from sounding like disjointed random techniques one after the other??? I feel like I just go:

THESIS/ATQ. The metaphor of "quote" demonstrates ATQ. Similarly, the natural imagery of "quote" reflects the blah. The author's simile "quote" does this.

And that's it.... we don't need concluding "Hence this and this" statements... right?

stormii

HSC
Good luck!
Thank you!!!!

TankKuno

HSC
I was told that if n = number of marks, we need n-1 ETA's in our essay
but if it's 5/6+ marks you need a short intro
yeah but my internals some ppl did that, and they marked the n-1 down , it wasnt confirmed that was the case, but it was a common trend around the people who got n-1 for each question

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
yeah but my internals some ppl did that, and they marked the n-1 down , it wasnt confirmed that was the case, but it was a common trend around the people who got n-1 for each question
if its 4 marks, why would u do 4 quotes, u need space to elaborate so u do 3, ive heard that u can also do 2 in a lot of detail? not sure but i always do n-1

TankKuno

HSC
if its 4 marks, why would u do 4 quotes, u need space to elaborate so u do 3, ive heard that u can also do 2 in a lot of detail? not sure but i always do n-1
idrk, my school tbh

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
ace when did you hit 2000+ messages and why am i suddenly concerned for you -- go study english and memo your 1984 grr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)