English advanced paper 1 Short answer Tips? (1 Viewer)

stormii

HSC
Heyyy, can someone please give some tips on how to finish your short answer in paper one English advanced especially because I’m going to do that before my essay.

I‘ve been practicing some questions under timed conditions…and I feel like I can’t get the short answers done on time I’m giving myself 40 minutes so I can have more time in essay. the short answers are also not good quality.

How do I improve my time management and what structure should I use so I don’t write too much.

Also how do I improve vocabulary and analysis. Any hacks?

Do I start with most marks or least marks?

also is the number of techniques one under the number of marks e.g. 4 marks = 3 examples/techniques and 5 marks = 4 examples and techniques? And 6 marks and so on?

Last edited:

amy.q18

HSC
like make sure you're familiar with your language techniques. some teachers don't like it but some do, but if you're really stuck, use words from the rubric like the challenges our understanding, ignites new ideas, etc. also ik it's kinda late but if you still want to do practice papers, I suggest you look at fort street 2022 and 2023 as they have like suggested answers to guide you as well. some other teachers suggest using show cause and effect as your concept, some just say just restate the question but show whatever the question is asking for, if that makes sense 😭

stormii

HSC
like make sure you're familiar with your language techniques. some teachers don't like it but some do, but if you're really stuck, use words from the rubric like the challenges our understanding, ignites new ideas, etc. also ik it's kinda late but if you still want to do practice papers, I suggest you look at fort street 2022 and 2023 as they have like suggested answers to guide you as well. some other teachers suggest using show cause and effect as your concept, some just say just restate the question but show whatever the question is asking for, if that makes sense 😭
Omg thank you I spend most of my precious Exam time identifying the techniques and comprehending what the whole text is about but not trying to read everything. Do you think I should start with most marks first or shortest?

amy.q18

HSC
yeah like amount of quotes and techniques = marks - 1, time you should spend is like marks x 2 -1 (probs? cuz generally you want to spend less than 45 mins on short answers to work on your essay)

amy.q18

HSC
Omg thank you I spend most of my precious Exam time identifying the techniques and comprehending what the whole text is about but not trying to read everything. Do you think I should start with most marks first or shortest?
I just do it in order and if i really cant figure it out, i just jump to the question after it 😭

stormii

HSC
yeah like amount of quotes and techniques = marks - 1, time you should spend is like marks x 2 -1 (probs? cuz generally you want to spend less than 45 mins on short answers to work on your essay)
Thank you! I really feel like Imma flop short answers and then stress out while writing the essay knowing I didn’t finish the short answer lol

stormii

HSC
I was told that if n = number of marks, we need n-1 ETA's in our essay
but if it's 5/6+ marks you need a short intro
Like 6 marks is still 5 techniques? or can be like 4 techniques but a good intro?

amy.q18

HSC
Like 6 marks is still 5 techniques? or can be like 4 techniques but a good intro.
I think it depends on the question, for comparative questions, I think it's better you have 5 techniques

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
no stop it enough this is a topic i need to talk about
why is it that guys have the best eyelashes and eyebrows and skin?? they could bathe in mud and stick come out with full lashes im jealous
personally, i dont have good skin :D
'glass skin' my ass

athena.

HSC
hi, here are my tips as someone who performs extremely well in short answers:

- read all of the questions first, then the texts, so that you know what to look for.

- you have 2.25 mins per mark in short answers, so use that as a guide to quickly calculate approximately how long you will spend on each question as you approach it

- if you can’t think of any techniques, use ‘cheat codes’ that are applicable everywhere e.g. tone, modality, syntax, imagery (most of the time), etc.

- read exemplar short answers

- use the vocabulary of the question and CONSISTENTLY LINK BACK to it

- for longer responses (however, I do this for all my short answers even the 3 markers), quickly plan out your response with your techniques and points and make sure you know which quotes you’re using

- the number of techniques doesn’t matter if your analysis is sophisticated, but a general rule to be very safe is 1 less technique than the marks e.g. 2 techniques for 3 marks

- most important thing is to practice. don’t think it’s too late - spam short answer questions and ideally submit for feedback from teachers or friends or compare with exemplar responses.

you've got this, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)