Engineering Studies vs Physics (1 Viewer)

snowkone

HSC
Seems like you're interested in engineering... Are you willing to pursue it further in university? If so, pick engineering studies. Engineering does involve some physics but also some practical skills and content that is specific to the field. If you are looking at it from a marks based perspective, they are quite similar too in scaling and marks. It's a solid subject to pick for the HSC and will be a strong foundation if you're looking to pursue careers in engineering. I would note that if you wish to study engineering, you will need relatively strong STEM skills, and it may have prerequisites in Extension Maths. E.g. if you look at the USYD website, Maths Extension 1 and a science is recommended knowledge.
Thanks for your response!
At the moment I am interested in pursuing architecture/architectural design at uni (maybe engineering as a second option). Would there be any benefit in choosing physics over engineering?

snowkone

HSC
Not necessarily. Physics is a more demanding subject than Engineering and requires lots of math applications and skills in the new syllabus. As I said above, scaling is pretty similar. If you like maths (e.g. and are planning to do a high level of it), Physics may be more for you BUT considering how you are planning Engineering as a second option, I would say that if you want an extra edge in uni, I would recommend Engineering.

Also, if it isn't any problem, may I ask what subjects you're thinking of doing? If you like, I can give you some tips if you are comfortable with doing so. :)
I'm thinking of doing:
Adv + Ext 1 Eng
Adv + Ext 1 Maths
Design & Technology

I'm not too sure what my other units will be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)