Eng/Law (1 Viewer)

riots

HSC
N/A
I have two questions and would much appreciate it if someone knowledgeable/experienced would answer at least one of them.

1. Does anyone know why they don't allow combining flexible-year engineering with law like they do with commerce?

2. How easy is it to transfer between engineering majors within the first year, or maybe even the second year?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Crap, I meant to post this under the UNSW (general) forum. Could a mod please move this?

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh hello BHHS '11er =D I'm planning on UNSW eng too hehehe

I've heard that all engineering courses at UNSW share the same first year, so basically I'm sure it should be easy to change. I'm not sure though, hope someone with real experience can help.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
They're not exactly the same, but most of the courses are the same.
It shouldn't be hard to transfer between majors (I think).
If you're not sure, pick http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3705.html
And if you only have a few (say 2 or 3) majors in mind, you can probably do all the required courses that you'd normally do for them in first year, so you won't be behind or have to do extra subjects later.

riots

HSC
N/A
They're not exactly the same, but most of the courses are the same.
It shouldn't be hard to transfer between majors (I think).
If you're not sure, pick http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3705.html
And if you only have a few (say 2 or 3) majors in mind, you can probably do all the required courses that you'd normally do for them in first year, so you won't be behind or have to do extra subjects later.
Ahh, that's good to hear then. And yeah, I've only got 3, maybe 4 at max disciplines in mind so (Y).

speciailise in patents
Not quite.

Almost every man and his dog combines engineering with commerce, so I guess eng/law would stand out slightly. Also, I find law far more interesting than commerce (well, at least the commerce textbooks I've flicked through so far) and I figure law would provide a unique skillset, that is, greater communication, critical analysis and critical thinking skills among other things.

Oh hello BHHS '11er =D I'm planning on UNSW eng too hehehe

I've heard that all engineering courses at UNSW share the same first year, so basically I'm sure it should be easy to change. I'm not sure though, hope someone with real experience can help.
Mmm, I'm sure I know who you are, and if I'm right, I'm even more sure that you don't know who I am. </creep>
So I'll see you around next year maybe - awesome. I might introduce myself then. :p

D94

HSC
N/A
Almost every man and his dog combines engineering with commerce, so I guess eng/law would stand out slightly. Also, I find law far more interesting than commerce (well, at least the commerce textbooks I've flicked through so far) and I figure law would provide a unique skillset, that is, greater communication, critical analysis and critical thinking skills among other things.
You 100% sure you want to be doing the BE LLB? A few points to consider...

1) The use of both your LLB and BE concurrently would be rarely in the near future if you plan on an engineering career. Maybe 10-15 years down the track when you are offered a management role in an engineering company. I'd rather get the experience (even a CPEng) before going down another path.

2) UNSW BE LLB is 6.5 years long. BE is 4 years and LLB is 3 years so you're saving half a year of study for a degree which you may not use until 10 years later. If you value experience, doing a BE for 4 years, gaining valuable experience then studying a JD (can be fast tracked to 2 years) would be a feasible option.

And with the second point, you have the ability to change majors and do flexible first year.

But on the other hand, it may be what engineering companies want, it may be better than a BE BCom, or it may be what you genuinely desire. You mention the thing about an unique skill set. Surely this can be gained without a law degree, can it not?

Or are you combining because you can (due to ATAR) or for the sake of a law degree?

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmm, I'm sure I know who you are, and if I'm right, I'm even more sure that you don't know who I am. </creep>
So I'll see you around next year maybe - awesome. I might introduce myself then. :p
Lmao aiite hoping to see you round. Say hi to meee >=]

Just out of interest, why would you want to combine Engo with Law?
Some guy won a UNSW Scholarship, and when they asked him why he wanted to combine engineering with law he came up with a super bs answer hahaha

"My imagination and continuous thirst to discover had made me increasingly inclined to study engineering. I believe that a double degree will better prepare me for the challenges of the 21st century as I think that principles in engineering fields must be combined with a profound commerce background in order to successfully turn imaginative ideas into economical reality."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)