• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Eng. Adv Speeches? (1 Viewer)

tearsdontfall

HSC
So I'm a complete noob at writing English speeches.
I have a speech coming up about Othello and on the assessment notification, I've been given a statement and asked if the statement was my opinion of the play.

- so do I have to agree/disagree with the statement, and back it up with evidence?
- is it appropriate if I use personal pronouns, and say it like: "I believe...blah blah blah..." and "we know this is completely false...."
- does it have to be formal?
- do I need to use techniques when I talk about quotes?

If anyone can help me out, I'll be really thankful =]

Gigacube

HSC
Yes you need to back up your opinion of the statement. You should use inclusive language as this is a speech not an essay.

If you have trouble writing a speech you could write it as an essay first and then change it to a speech.

Use anecdotes and rhetorical questions.

If your assessment task didn't say who the audience is then write your speech to a group of senior high school students.

You need to use techniques when you talk about quotes & the effect they have.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I am certainly no expert on speeches, but these were the words from our teacher plus my advice.

• Apart from the obvious, I think it would be best depending on the statement you agree with it, as it may contain a lot of points to argue.

• Now, depending on the question I think speeches should maintain some level of formality and a level of personal opinion. It would probably be appropriate to use "I" a couple of times.

• Stage 6 English, you MUST use TECHNIQUES and QUOTES to back up your arguments.

Furthermore, I think it's important to learn your speech off by heart, in some cases our teacher observed that our class maintained brilliant eye contact during the first few lines of their speeches, but due to a lack of practice, people were constantly looking at their palm cards and reading them halfway through their speech. Also make sure you TIME your speech NOT JUST ONCE. (Lesson learnt by me, a 4 minute speech turned into a 5 minute and 26 second speech.)

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
Furthermore, I think it's important to learn your speech off by heart, in some cases our teacher observed that our class maintained brilliant eye contact during the first few lines of their speeches, but due to a lack of practice, people were constantly looking at their palm cards and reading them halfway. Also make sure you TIME your speech NOT JUST ONCE. (Lesson learnt by me, a 4 minute speech turned into a 5 minute and 26 second speech.)
Eye contact is very important when doing a speech. I memorised mine and I only put dot points on my palm cards to help me remember what technique to say next or things I had trouble memorising. You need to time yourself & practice in front of people.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
- so do I have to agree/disagree with the statement, and back it up with evidence?
Yes, you have to argue either for or against the statement. This needs to be supported by evidence, both examples from the text and the techniques used that make them work.

- is it appropriate if I use personal pronouns, and say it like: "I believe...blah blah blah..." and "we know this is completely false...."
Usually, yes, unless the context of the speech is extremely formal.

- does it have to be formal?
Normally when you are given this sort of task you are given a context. E.g. You have been asked to give a speech for teenagers at an English conference. So you need to write in terms of your audience. If you are given no context, assume that it is your class you are presenting to, and make it casual formal.

do I need to use techniques when I talk about quotes?
Yes. Always.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Your speech is an oral presentation of an essay.

b33g_boss

HSC
There is so much that is wrong with this statement.
really? i find that this is what speeches are generally based also with the use of language (informative, persuasive)...well that's what ive been doing and that's what teachers tell us...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Our teacher said do not write your speech in an essay format.

tearsdontfall

HSC
Thanks for all the help guys! I certainly feel like I know what to write now =D

And jnney...I disagree with the speech being an oral presentation of an essay. This is totally wrong, because it's supposed to be engaging and interesting, which an essay is not.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the help guys! I certainly feel like I know what to write now =D

And jnney...I disagree with the speech being an oral presentation of an essay. This is totally wrong, because it's supposed to be engaging and interesting, which an essay is not.
Actually, an essay should be engaging and interesting. It's mostly a structural and tonal difference between an essay and a speech, but trust me, a lot is included in that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)