Ellipse Property Proof: (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Can someone show me the proof for the following (a diagram would also be helpful).

"A tangent at a point P on an ellipse is equally inclined to the focal chords through P."

thanks in advance.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I think the Cambridge textbook or some textbook (can't remember) has a proof of that in the examples because it is a syllabus dot point proof. It's actually quite long.

seanieg89

HSC
The Cambridge book has a proof based on coordinate geometry and several leadup questions. There is a shorter proof based on the (equal sum of focal lengths) property of the ellipse, along with the triangle inequality. I wrote it up formally for a student once before but this is the outline:

1. Reflect one focus S about the tangent, call this new point T.

2. Prove SQM and TQM are congruent triangles, where M is the midpoint of S,T (and hence lies on the tangent), and Q is an arbitrary point on the tangent.

3. The tangent lies external to the ellipse hence for all points Q on it, SQ+S'Q>2a, with equality if and only if Q=P.

4. Hence S'Q+TQ minimised at Q=P. But by the triangle inequality, this implies that P lies on the straight line S'T.

5. Hence S',P,T collinear. This gives us enough geometric information to angle chase.

This argument can be rigorised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)