Electives (1 Viewer)

tash

lalalala
HSC
well i've done my viva and it wasn't 2 bad! you were right about 10 minutes not being that bad- we went overtime.
thanks for your tips and stuf ppls, i feel much better that my umms and ahhs were allowed 2 be there!

chip

HSC
the one thing that i hate about the vivas is the fact that at the end (and for me there was like 5 seconds to go) the teacher asked do you have anything else to add?

well yes i do but are you going to let me go over ten minutes?

tash

lalalala
HSC
yeah i was like 'well what's the most important thing i can say that could get me a few more marks?' so i was racking my brain 4 something intelligent 2 say and came up with something decent...

do u ppl find music a really fun class?cos we have heaps of fun all the time, joking around and stuf and i was wondering if it was just us cos we're all insane or cos music is such a damn cool subject

chip

HSC
well my whole class is crazy too so we all have lots of fun even when study the boring concepts parts...........

yeh i love music and really look forward to it after math, english or chemistry.......

sweety

Originally posted by tash
[i swear i am like, the only pianist do music 1 in the whole of nsw!
oh well...]

don't worry tash, i play the piano and i'm doing music 1 course aswell! I didn't even get a choice in the matter ! I put down to do music 2 but my teacher said they couldn't offer it cause there wasn't enough teachers to do both.

I'm doing all performance i think but i also love writing compositions. I don't know whether to do one or not as one elective. my teacher thinks it isn't a good idea cause it will take too long and i might not enjoy it.
IF anyone can help me make a decision please help! What should i do? can you get good marks doing a composition?

tash

lalalala
HSC
ah i don't feel so alone any more!

um well i was gonna do comp as 1 of my electives but found myself really uninspired when trying to think of something to do so i switched to musicology, but the thing with not doing all performance is that it's not completely based on your performance or whatever at that time- like even if u know your pieces really well you could forget it and screw u up- i did that in my last assessment and walked off the stage before i finished the piece, not good!- so doing comp is better in that way.

really, if you are willing to put in the effort for comp and have some good ideas for it then go for it, but if u don't know if u can do it or not then just stick with perf or try musicology

hope that's some help to you!

Iron-Haggis

Well for my electives I am doing all composition. Because my musicology skills are only slightly better than my aural skills, which lack severly. I've already completed two of my compositions, one of which needs a lot of extra work done to it. Out of the three choices you have I think compositions requires the most work.

tash

lalalala
HSC
yeah i agree comp's the most work cos it's like a major work thing and requires time and effort- not saying that performance and musicology don't, but with perf it's just practice and if u're like me then you enjoy doing that as much as possible anyway and muso is just anaylsing songs and researching which isn't 2 bad.

so all you people doing comp i have a great respect for you!

iH

Oldie
HSC
i think i'm the only bass guitarist doing Music 2... oh well.

my original instrument is double bass but for some reason i'm being pushed to do electric for my performance.

my areas are:

Core - Composition
Core - Performance
Core - Musicology/Aural
Elective - Composition

so i only have to perform 1 piece.

The ones i've done so far are: (not that this will mean much to any of you)
Jaco Pastorius - Portrait of Tracey
Herbie Hancock - Chameleon

the decision will probably be between
Stu Hamm - Sleigh Ride
Stu Hamm - Country Music (A Night In Hell) and
Dream Theater - Overture 1928

any bass players wanna give me an opinion? my teacher thinks chameleon but he's an idiot. it's like the easiest piece i have.

Iron-Haggis

I reckon the Dream Theater one would be a very cool one to do, same with Jaco Pastorius. I personally wouldn't do Stu Hamm, i'm not a big fan of his, not to say he isn't an awesome bassist. For my core perforamance I'm considering possibly doing Victor Wooten - Me And My Bass Guitar(will require a lot of work) or possibly Metallica (either Anesthesia or Orion (including fast bass solo)). Care to share your opinion with me.

iH

Oldie
HSC
Originally posted by Iron-Haggis
I reckon the Dream Theater one would be a very cool one to do, same with Jaco Pastorius. I personally wouldn't do Stu Hamm, i'm not a big fan of his, not to say he isn't an awesome bassist. For my core perforamance I'm considering possibly doing Victor Wooten - Me And My Bass Guitar(will require a lot of work) or possibly Metallica (either Anesthesia or Orion (including fast bass solo)). Care to share your opinion with me.
Dreamtheater is cool but will be hard to learn to that high HSC standard.

Stu hamm is cool stuff tapping and jazz wise.

jaco is fun...i did portrait for my first assessment. really like it. bit weird for some markers though.

I was gonna do me&my bass guitar too. but without a transcription and having to do vocals and bass. would be tricky. (make sure u have the "hey...can i read your charts man...i left mine...at home")

Metallica is cool. Cliff Burton was pretty good. not a huge fan of them though.

Sam

Juliet

HSC
Originally posted by Juliet
Gosh that sounds scary...I am soooo dead. I'll be so nervous i'll blank out.
And guess what? i did blank out! My viva voca for trials, was a disaster with a capital D. My teacher was like: " Ah, could you talk a little louder please?"

I'm
dead.
:axedeath:

tash

lalalala
HSC
i'll tell u something really bad. in my last prac assessment it was a recital and i got to the 2nd last page of the song (it was 12 pages) and i forgot it! and so i didn't finish the bloody piece and walked off the stage. now that was embaressing!

chip

HSC
those stories do sound bad..... i hope that doesnt happen to me

i have this piece that is a fair few pages long and i always get puffed out after the first page so yeh i can just imagine not finishing it at trials

tash

lalalala
HSC
just don't totally freak out beforehand and u'll b fine!

another thing to all those musicology people- how many songs are you analysing for it? i'm on my fourth and fifth now- is that enough?

chip

HSC
can i be a musicology person.....
wow....
just remember you've only got ten minutes and when they ask you question you talk about your concepts for a while plus your excerpts should be about 30s maybe less depending on what you want to show. ....
i talk alot so i only have like three to four songs in total but i always have about ten songs just in case i dont talk enough

ok now i dont know whether i've anwered your question but i've written a longish post so i'll stop now

tash

lalalala
HSC
ok that's good i just want to know something on all the elements in all the excepts i play cos last time i didn't do that thoroughly enough and she asked me to describe the rhythm and i was like 'what???' but that's good then, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)