Electives (1 Viewer)

Juliet

HSC
The electives for the trial and HSC, for Music Course 1. What are people doing? Why? We had to chose ours and send them to the Board of Studies. I don't know about Music Course 2, if there are electives than you're welcome to list them. I'm doing:

Performace
Musicology
Performace

chip

HSC
i'm doing the same as you juliet........
wat instrument and wat performances will you do?
how are you preparing for your viva......... my teachers not much help at all and i'm not sure how many examples i should get myself....... :confused:

Juliet

HSC
For both my performances i will be singing. So the instrument will be voice. The titles for my songs will be:

Topic 1: Someone To Watch Over Me by ? (haven't found out yet)

Topic 3: Remember Me This Way by Jordan Hill

For my musicology i will be talking about the music from Harry Potter by John Williams. For preparation i have brought the Soundtrack for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, also have been listening to it, analysing it etc. And watching the movie to observe where the music has been used etc. Its fun for me anyway cos i am a huge fan of harry potter. And i also did some background research on John Williams himself, quite a composer!
Update: Brought the sheet music for Fawkes the Pheonix.

What are your instruments chip? And what are you going to perform? And what topic is your viva voca going to be on? Don't worry so much chip, i'm sure you will do fine.

Last edited:

chip

HSC
Harry Potter is cool........:D ........good choice for your viva juliet....... my viva is on music therapy, i've done work experience with a music therapist and i've read a few books and case studies so now i just have to find the music and start analysing it shouldnt be too hard really cause i'm heaps passionate about music therapy and once i really start will get right into it.......... thanx for the confidence........
My instrument is tenor sax and i think my performances will be take the A train(jazz) and the solo de concerto(instrument and its rep)..........:rolleyes:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
all Performances for me

on guitar :D

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
all guitar performances and one composition
castles made of sand by jimi hendrix
classical gas by mason williams
and no core yet

Tinechorwen

Oooh, my first post. :) Sorry for the randomness.

I'm doing voice as well, (and Someone to watch over me is by George Gerswin, beautiful song!) but my teacher is making me do pieces in German and Latin which I do not understand and can't pronunce. So don't worry, it could always be worse. :)

Juliet

HSC
Originally posted by chip
i'm heaps passionate about music therapy
Wow chip music therapy! I did a bit of research and it sounds cool. You learn something new everyday....:D

chip

HSC
it is very cool...:D...... i did work experience at the childrens hospital with a music therapist and i got to sing the wiggles and Hi-5 and play it on guitar with the little kiddies...... so for my viva i think i will be focusing on children and music therapy........

Juliet

HSC
Welcome to the forum Tinechorwen, gosh i sound like a moderator...*slap*. Your teacher maybe making you do German and Latin songs because it will stand you out from the crowd. I heard that the markers are always looking for something different.

Children and music therapy sounds like a great focus chip. It sounds like you want to be a music therapist, then you leave school...cool.

Wish i knew what i wanted to do...:(

Back to electives.

tash

lalalala
HSC
hey!this is my 2st time using this- it's a good idea. i'm doing same as u juliet, but i play the piano- i swear i am like, the only pianist do music 1 in the whole of nsw!
oh well... with the musicology (i want 2 do impressionism focusing on debussy's piano music), i haven't had a chance 2 talk 2 my teacher about it but my assesment's in week 3 next term and do i just analyse pieces and find charcteristics of his music etc? what type of questions do they ask does any1 know?
music therapy sounds cool, i'd like 2 find out more about it
thanx 4 ur help

Juliet

HSC
I dunno what type of questions they will ask but as a suggestion: Ask your teacher to test you when school starts again.

chip

HSC
we have to do practice vivas for all of our electives at skool and the teacher asks the questions :
*explain how structure affects this piece
* what is the role of this intrument give examples
* How does the texture change and give examples

Stuff like that i have been asked but you basically write down the questions you want to be asked like on your sheet you give the examiners you write
guitars role
the structure
the tempo changes

then the examiners will make questions from these statements....

Juliet

HSC
Gosh that sounds scary...I am soooo dead. I'll be so nervous i'll blank out.

chip

HSC
it's not that bad....... you pick the questions you want to be asked so you only put stuff down that you know you know lots about if that makes sense.......

tash

lalalala
HSC
ok that's not 2 bad. i just hope i don't 4get what i'm saying. we had 2 do a musicology speech last assessment and i didn't have an actual prepared speech- just dot points- and i kept saying 'and stuff like that!' it was so bad but i did pretty well so...
how r u ppls doing in music anyway? like in assessments and stuf. it'd just b interesting 2 compare my class 2 other classes around the place

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
From what I remember, music vivas are not too bad. They're not really looking for a polished speaker, just someone who is able to talk about their composition/performances and show an understanding of purpose and meaning. They're also to check your progress in the course...I found myself saying a lot about how my composition was progressing, as well as the concept behind it. So just go into them full of ideas, and you'll be fine - you won't be penalised for your 'ums'! :)

tash

lalalala
HSC
oh that sounds ok. my assessment's on friday and i'm freaking out cos i don't know how i'm gonna talk 4 10 minutes!what on earth am i gonna say?? ah i'll think of something...

chip

HSC
i thought i wouldnt be able to talk for 10 minutes too then when i got up there and the teacher started asking questions i had so much stuff to say and i ended up running out of time.......

i'm sure you'll be fine tash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)