Education Access Scheme (1 Viewer)

atar99dot95

HSC
I was just offered the Education Access Scheme. The confirmation only included the universities which were willing to offer me this (which was basically all unis). However, the letter had no details as to what, in specific, they were offering.

If there are other students who have/had received this, could you please provide me with more details?

Thank you.

mizzroyalty

HSC
N/A
Hey, how did you get it? Through the mail or e-mail?]
Cheers.

Kralex

HSC
I was just offered the Education Access Scheme. The confirmation only included the universities which were willing to offer me this (which was basically all unis). However, the letter had no details as to what, in specific, they were offering.

If there are other students who have/had received this, could you please provide me with more details?

Thank you.
I also just received this..

its weird..whats the point of telling us we can make use of it at those unis without telling us by how much theyre willing to help us out??

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
i called up the universities about this, apparently with unsw, up until last year, they sent around letters telling you how many bonus points you received but for a reason they wouldn't divulge, they aren't doing it this year. so basically yeah, none of the universities are going to tell you how much help you get, you won't really know until offers are published. BUT, i suggest calling up the universities anyway and just telling them what your situation is and asking for their opinion on whether or not you can get into the course you want to get into. when i called unsw, they basically said they couldn't really speculate, but usyd told me i should be pretty confident of getting into my course.

so yeah, hope that helps :)

atar99dot95

HSC
i called up the universities about this, apparently with unsw, up until last year, they sent around letters telling you how many bonus points you received but for a reason they wouldn't divulge, they aren't doing it this year. so basically yeah, none of the universities are going to tell you how much help you get, you won't really know until offers are published. BUT, i suggest calling up the universities anyway and just telling them what your situation is and asking for their opinion on whether or not you can get into the course you want to get into. when i called unsw, they basically said they couldn't really speculate, but usyd told me i should be pretty confident of getting into my course.

so yeah, hope that helps :)
Hey, I was just researching the usyd website, and came across this.

Course: Combined Law
ATAR Cut-off: 99.65
Broadway Cut-off: 97.25
Difference: 2.40

Now, it states that applicants who have been successful with the Broadway Scheme will benefit from this. And from what I gather, the only way to apply for this scheme is through the EAS. With usyd granting the EAS for us, does this mean we've been considered for the broadway scheme?

Wow, this is really confusing, with them leaving us in the dark. Also, "Queries will be answered from Tuesday 4 January 2011 onwards."

Don't really want to keep my hopes up :|

nutcracker

HSC
^ when i called up usyd that's what they led me to believe, that eligibility for eas means being considered under the broadway scheme (i was also asking about usyd law). every university has it's own "eas" scheme as such, at usyd it's broadway, at unsw it's access, etc. i know, i don't particularly want to get my hopes up either, but the guy i called at usyd was very reassuring, so i figure if your atar is in the 99s [like mine is], you should be pretty safe =] (and also safe for 98s too i guess, but naturally i didn't ask about that).

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Just put your preferences in the order you actually want them in and see what happens :)

Gluck.

atar99dot95

HSC
^ when i called up usyd that's what they led me to believe, that eligibility for eas means being considered under the broadway scheme (i was also asking about usyd law). every university has it's own "eas" scheme as such, at usyd it's broadway, at unsw it's access, etc. i know, i don't particularly want to get my hopes up either, but the guy i called at usyd was very reassuring, so i figure if your atar is in the 99s [like mine is], you should be pretty safe =] (and also safe for 98s too i guess, but naturally i didn't ask about that).
Also, do you think they will prioritise according to the severity of the disadvantage? I mean, to be honest, I never would've thought I would be considered for the EAS, and if I do get accepted into the course, I'm pretty sure there will be a tinge of guilt in me. I'm certain there are others who have experienced more/serious disadvantages than I've had.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The EAS is incredibly vague and UAC will not tell you anything, so it's pointless ringing them. You could ring the actual university itself, but there isn't much chance them telling you if you'll actually get any, and if so, how many.

We'll all have to wait and see the outcome.

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
are they still sending out letters for EAS eligibility? Or have all the eligible people been notified already?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
are they still sending out letters for EAS eligibility? Or have all the eligible people been notified already?
Depends if you had to manually submit a form to UAC, and when you did it. I was automatically considered, coming from a very low socio-economic climate. You may have a different reason to apply. The last notifications will be sent out on Jan 6.

nutcracker

HSC
Also, do you think they will prioritise according to the severity of the disadvantage? I mean, to be honest, I never would've thought I would be considered for the EAS, and if I do get accepted into the course, I'm pretty sure there will be a tinge of guilt in me. I'm certain there are others who have experienced more/serious disadvantages than I've had.
i'm pretty sure at unsw they do award bonus points depending on the severity. i'm still not entirely sure about how usyd works [cbb reading it as i'm not so much into usyd], but i should think your competitiveness should increase with the severity.
i don't think you should feel guilty ^^ i mean, it's up to the university to decide and you wouldn't be eligible unless you had experienced some sort of disadvantage. and i'm sure there are also people who experienced far less serious disadvantages than you and still applied and are likely to get bonus points/whatever, so yeahh. and by the same token, there will always be people who experienced far worse situations. i mean, i thought my situation was pretty bad, but just found out that someone i know lost a parent during their hsc year =/ but regardless, we all still had a tough time and hopefully, we'll get what we deserve/need. hopefully ><.

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Yeh I got EAS, but none of the Unis that I applied for are accepting it. All the unis I have nothing to do with are accepting it though.

I'm so incredibly annoyed.

And I didn't even make up my reason for applying.

How very rude.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
i applied for eas and was granted at USYD and UNSW so i have hope of getting into to com/law with 99.3 atar. never thought i get in to those courses as only expected 98 and eas being denied >.> so fingers cross

and um each uni hs its own name for eas.

theMoment

HSC
I think your understanding of EAS is wrong. From what I know, you aren't given 'bonus points' as such, but rather an eligibility status of yes or no.

Now if you're eligible for EAS, regardless of the severity of your disadvantage, you get placed into a separate pool of applicants who have also eligible for EAS. Each university sets aside a certain number of EAS places in which only EAS eligibile applicants can receive.

Taking USyd Law as an example, let us just say that there are 200 places. Again, let us assume that 10 places are reserved for EAS applicants. That means, only those who are eligible for EAS can be offered one of those ten spots. I must stress that severity does not matter and does not affect anything, other than a higher chance of eligibility status for EAS.

Using the above example again, it states that the applicant must be within five points of the preferred course. That means even if you do get EAS, you still have to be within the five point limit.

From this pool of EAS applicants, the top ten EAS applicants with the highest ATAR are offered the EAS spots. But, because law is an ultra competitive high demand course, those ten places will be filled up before we reach the person who was five points below. That means, that 10th placed person in 2009 had an ATAR of 97.25.

Of course, realistically, more than ten places are on offer for EAS applicants, and 200 places was just a number I pulled out of my head.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

nutcracker

HSC

nilynily

HSC
does Distance Education counts as an disadvantage under the Access Scheme? Because the correspondence letter I received from UAC stated no for UNSW.... I'm like 0.7 ATAR points below the Eco cut off... I'll be happy with an extra bonus mark...

nutcracker

HSC
hey nilynily, i'm not entirely sure how the hsc plus system at unsw works, but it seems like you could get into eco just by using that, instead of eas?
because you're awarded 2 bonus points if you get a band 5 in maths, which you did. so you should be able to get in?

nilynily

HSC
lmao nutcracker my raw ATAR mark is 88.9 and I already added the extra 2 from my maths mark.... so I now have an ATAR of 90.9 for Eco but I just need an extra bonus from the Access Scheme...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)