Economics or Legal Studies (1 Viewer)

swathard

HSC
Which, in your opinion, is the better of the two subjects?

I'm talking in terms of:

(a) difficulty.
(b) workload
(c) scaling - I am aware that economics scales better than legal studies.

I am having trouble deciding which one I should drop (if I decide to drop).

If people who have had experience doing any of these subjects (or both) can offer some insight, that'd be great!

Thanks in advance! =]

marts

HSC

I'm talking in terms of:

(a) difficulty.
(b) workload

If people who have had experience doing any of these subjects (or both) can offer some insight, that'd be great!

Thanks in advance! =]

why do you have to drop? i did both legal and eco, legal gets better in year 12 as opposed to year 11 but can still be fairly dry,

in terms of workload eco is larger, you can minimise workload in legal by looking at past papers especially for options where half of syllabus isn't needed!
eco is not bad personally i would continue with legal as i found it more interesting but i didn't mind eco.

HSC
i dont do eco but i can say legal isnt hard at all but requires alot of writing. i dont think it scales too well but its not that hard to actual to well in it so scaling shouldnt affect that.
personally if it was me id do legal because thats where my interest lies lol but at the end of the day its up to you not any of us.

swathard

HSC
why do you have to drop? i did both legal and eco, legal gets better in year 12 as opposed to year 11 but can still be fairly dry,

in terms of workload eco is larger, you can minimise workload in legal by looking at past papers especially for options where half of syllabus isn't needed!
eco is not bad personally i would continue with legal as i found it more interesting but i didn't mind eco.
I have to drop because I have a physical condition where I need to move around every 30 minutes - at home, school and during exams. With 12 units, I feel that this may impinge on my performance (and I still feel it will with 10 units), but I feel that I need to do something to minimise the workload in anyway possible.

swathard

HSC
i dont do eco but i can say legal isnt hard at all but requires alot of writing. i dont think it scales too well but its not that hard to actual to well in it so scaling shouldnt affect that.
personally if it was me id do legal because thats where my interest lies lol but at the end of the day its up to you not any of us.
Haha, alright thanks for that. It's just really hard to decide.. I mean, I think I enjoyed the preliminary economics course a lot more than I enjoyed the legal studies preliminary course. But then, I hear legal studies becomes far more interesting in Year 12.. and I'm ranked first for both economics and legal studies at the moment, so I'm not sure.. I just don't want to make the wrong decision and then end up regretting it.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Ok I do both Legal and Eco, and have finished the courses for them, and I have to say Legal does not get that much more interesting in Year 12. At the moment the syllabus for Legal is a scrambled mess, and if your a 'by-the-syllabus' student (as you should be - its what the HSC is all about) then it will be difficult making notes/essays suited to the often ambiguous and bewildering syllabus. However, as someone already said, it is easy to go well in (though you probs already know this), and does not have an especially taxing workload.

Eco is much more interesting (to me) and definitely much more useful. It also scales better, like you said, and is easier to prepare for (though at the same time, it's difficult). Unless you have a problem with Eco, or are especially brilliant at writing 'syllabus essays' for Legal, you should stick with Eco.

AnandDNA

HSC
I did both eco and legal in yr 11 and by far eco was the more interesting subject. However the workload for eco in yr 11 was so much more.

In yr 12 the workload is heaps less than yr 11 as there are only four topics not six and the content is all relevant to our life.

I hated Legal from the very first day in yr 11 and wanted to drop it and pick up accouting as a tafe course but it was too late. In yr 12 i hated it more and by the end of term 1 this year i dropped it even though i actually came 1st in it in yr 11.

But it depends what you have an interest in. And i heard Legal scales really well if you hit the top band

MzBiiBii

HSC
I do legal.. I hated it at the beginning of the year.. now it's meh
The only thing i think is pretty intersting.. is crime..i don't really like anything else

but that's just my opinion :D
If you don't need to drop them ASAP, why not try them both out..and then you could decide what you'd prefer?

Regretting... is a bad feeling :) you don't want to regret you "did this" rather "than that"... if you know what i mean...

absorber

HSC

I'm talking in terms of:

(a) difficulty.
(b) workload

Thanks in advance! =]
tbh legal and eco are my two easiest subjects.
Eco's more interesting and slightly harder, if you have to drop one drop legal, but then, I'd say keep both, given you're not doing a huge amount of units

jellybelly59

HSC
(a) difficulty eco > legal
(b) workload around = since both have to keep up to date to get decent band 6 mark IMO

depends on which you are doing worst in and how badly you are actually doing in each subject... i think you should drop half yearly next yr if you see results are not improving... too early to drop now - unless workload is absolute killer for you now.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
You really have to talk about yourself in regards to those subjects instead of asking us what's better. Everyone is different and can be biased (well ye).

Simple answer, choose what you like more.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'm replying on behalf of my friend:

"a) difficulty: eco's easy - its less memory than legal. if you have a shit memory drop legal because ecos common sense & thats y i love it haha
b) workload: depends on how much yur willing to do - any subject requires work & id say there the same - but eco comes more natrually
c) scaling: irrelevent do what yu like MORE = you'll be more motivated"

rachierach

HSC
I only know about Economics but everything depends on what marks/ATAR you want.

Difficulty - Economics is all basically interrelated. If you are a person who can make connections between parts of the syllabus and stuff then that would help a lot with Eco. Some parts make you think but it's good to have to actually think about what you're doing rather than mind-numbing repetition of formulas.

Workload - It depends on the marks you want, what kind of student/learner you are really.

I think Eco is a really interesting subject. You learn currrent stuff and can see it in the media and real life quite easily. You might have to study it at uni too so it's better to do well now and breeze through then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)