Uni Grad
A few weeks ago, our year 10s chose our subjects for next year. I've chosen:

English Advanced
Mathematics
Biology
Business Studies
Geography
Economics

For a while now, I've been thinking of changing Economics to another elective. I've heard from other people while the content is very interesting, its quite hard to grasp the concepts of the topics. And i know that people who are generally smarter would more likely choose the "harder" subjects such as chemistry, physics, economics, latin etc.

I'm just worried about economics because i've had a look at the list of people who've chosen it and they're the "smarter" people of the grade as i can see. I could be making a false judgement, because maybe they'll drop next year, but comparing them to the rest of the grade, i think that'll be very unlikely.
When I don't do well compared to the grade, my confidence drops -- a lot. And I tend not to put a lot of effort into my work if i have no confidence. I'd rather do a subject where I can do well compared to the grade because I'll be confident in doing well, and I'll work hard to do well.

So..I'm pretty sure that I don't have very long until the deadline for changing subjects so..any advice will be good.
I'll attach a copy of the elective lines so that you can give me some advice. I've highlighted the elective lines that i'm in. If I wanted to change from economics, the subjects that I would be fine with doing is ancient and modern history (leaning more towards ancient).

Anyway, any advice will be great!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nhoustonrocks said:
A few weeks ago, our year 10s chose our subjects for next year. I've chosen:

English Advanced
Mathematics
Biology
Business Studies
Geography
Economics

For a while now, I've been thinking of changing Economics to another elective. I've heard from other people while the content is very interesting, its quite hard to grasp the concepts of the topics. And i know that people who are generally smarter would more likely choose the "harder" subjects such as chemistry, physics, economics, latin etc.

I'm just worried about economics because i've had a look at the list of people who've chosen it and they're the "smarter" people of the grade as i can see. I could be making a false judgement, because maybe they'll drop next year, but comparing them to the rest of the grade, i think that'll be very unlikely.
When I don't do well compared to the grade, my confidence drops -- a lot. And I tend not to put a lot of effort into my work if i have no confidence. I'd rather do a subject where I can do well compared to the grade because I'll be confident in doing well, and I'll work hard to do well.

So..I'm pretty sure that I don't have very long until the deadline for changing subjects so..any advice will be good.
I'll attach a copy of the elective lines so that you can give me some advice. I've highlighted the elective lines that i'm in. If I wanted to change from economics, the subjects that I would be fine with doing is ancient and modern history (leaning more towards ancient).

Anyway, any advice will be great!
I would go with what you think you would enjoy the most

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
thats the problem..I like history and I do really well in it. But I dont know about economics. I've never done it before and I didn't do commerce as an elective. But it certainly sounds interesting, and its definetely more interesting than anything else offered at my school.

So..I really don't know.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nhoustonrocks said:
thats the problem..I like history and I do really well in it. But I dont know about economics. I've never done it before and I didn't do commerce as an elective. But it certainly sounds interesting, and its definetely more interesting than anything else offered at my school.

So..I really don't know.
If you know you do very well in history, it might be smarter to do that. Maybe take economics and if you don't like it after a couple of weeks switch to a history? Not all schools allow this, mine does, it might be worth asking about.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll have to go and find the right person to ask if I'll be able to change at the beginning of Year 11. The problem is, if I change after like 4 weeks or something, that means I have 4 weeks of other work that I have to catch up on. But I guess it'll be worth it, not having to fail a subject that I dont even like.

At least I have the option of choosing Ancient or Modern. But if I did change, I would probably choose ancient.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nhoustonrocks said:
I'll have to go and find the right person to ask if I'll be able to change at the beginning of Year 11. The problem is, if I change after like 4 weeks or something, that means I have 4 weeks of other work that I have to catch up on. But I guess it'll be worth it, not having to fail a subject that I dont even like.

At least I have the option of choosing Ancient or Modern. But if I did change, I would probably choose ancient.
Honestly, it really is not hard to catch up on the early early prelim work, its very easy stuff. Ancient is a great subject if you choose it but then so is Modern, they're both very good.

speedofsound

HSC
Yeah, if your school allows it, I would do Economics for a few weeks next year, and if you don't like it, you can always switch. My school allows this too. May as well try out Eco for a bit and see what it's like. You already know what History is like.

TunaFish

HSC
speedofsound said:
Yeah, if your school allows it, I would do Economics for a few weeks next year, and if you don't like it, you can always switch. My school allows this too. May as well try out Eco for a bit and see what it's like. You already know what History is like.
Exactly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)