Economics? or Business? (1 Viewer)

hazza1424

HSC
Hey guys!
Im currently doing my HSC and wondering what i should do once im done with school? SOO i have a few choices, whether to do Economics? or to do Business and a major in either finance or accounting. Any thoughts would be helpful, but i wanna know which ones the best one? and has a higher demand. My preferred unis are MQ or UWS.

Thanks in advance! :D

runnable

HSC
Go to MQ and do BComm with majors in Economics and Finance. Done!

runnable

HSC
i could do that! but is there a real job demand for people who do economics?
You diversify with your 2nd major. If you are passionate about economics, there will always be jobs. The largest industries for Business graduates are Accounting and Finance I would think.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Accounting is the bomb now, but soon with the over flow of accounting majors there will be an over supply of them, just like what happen to Law. Same with Finance with all the people after that 'stable work and high pay' thing.
But ye Economics major usually work in those auditing firms or banks, with quite a few in the government. I like the idea of a political economist but too bad the direct degree is only in usyd, but applied econometrics will get me a similar job anyway.

Just do whatever you feel you can enjoy and get most marks in, don't base it on demand.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Accounting is the bomb now, but soon with the over flow of accounting majors there will be an over supply of them, just like what happen to Law. Same with Finance with all the people after that 'stable work and high pay' thing.
But ye Economics major usually work in those auditing firms or banks, with quite a few in the government. I like the idea of a political economist but too bad the direct degree is only in usyd, but applied econometrics will get me a similar job anyway.

Just do whatever you feel you can enjoy and get most marks in, don't base it on demand.
Yeah if I only knew... should of done cadetship

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea im also applying for accounting cadetships, hopefully i get one but just incase i needed to have some sort of back up! so i really need to think it through seeing the amount of competition on the cadetship evening!
Yeah they definitely have increased in popularity in recent years as they offer great training opportunities, decent pay/conditions and much better graduate job prospects and career progression.

IMO accounting is still the way to go if you're unsure as finance looks set to get seriously regulated which will only serve to limit the amount of activity banks and FIs can do. Economics is a tough one as it's a very broad field which can be applied to a lot of areas (e.g. risk and capital management) but then on the other hand you really need to have a passion for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)