Economics in HSC & Uni (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha i think you should ask people who have done hsc economics and are currently studying eco, business or commerce.

basing judgment based on seeing what you see in a uni textbook is irrelevant in that i dont really think you can put a band 6 answer and hope to do well in it.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
wrong_turn said:
haha i think you should ask people who have done hsc economics and are currently studying eco, business or commerce.

basing judgment based on seeing what you see in a uni textbook is irrelevant in that i dont really think you can put a band 6 answer and hope to do well in it.
So you didn't do hsc economics??

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
its a bit obvious haha isnt it?

im just saying that someone who has done it, please comment about hsc economics and its relation to its relevance in 1st year economics. because i know for a fact that hsc maths is different to uni maths.

and also that hsc history is different to uni history.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
wrong_turn said:
its a bit obvious haha isnt it?

im just saying that someone who has done it, please comment about hsc economics and its relation to its relevance in 1st year economics. because i know for a fact that hsc maths is different to uni maths.

and also that hsc history is different to uni history.
so how did you know you wanted to do economics?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i never wanted to do commerce, economics or business in high school. i was so close to doing economics in prelims but i changed subjects to business studies and then i dropped it completely haha.

but i actually wanted to do psychology. i didnt get into psychology and ended up having to choose between social work and economics.

i ended up choosing economics because i thought i might as well give it ago. as i mentioned, in high school i iniitially wanted to do it but i went to the library and saw one of the past papers for it....freaked and dropped it.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
didnt read thread but.

i did hsc economics and am doing it now at uni. You can get by without doing year 12 economics. Most of the year 12 is stuff is irrelevant anyway.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
hsc economics was full of win.

uni economics is full of phail. So far anyway.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
wrong_turn said:
i never wanted to do commerce, economics or business in high school. i was so close to doing economics in prelims but i changed subjects to business studies and then i dropped it completely haha.

but i actually wanted to do psychology. i didnt get into psychology and ended up having to choose between social work and economics.

i ended up choosing economics because i thought i might as well give it ago. as i mentioned, in high school i iniitially wanted to do it but i went to the library and saw one of the past papers for it....freaked and dropped it.
what subs did you do for the HSC?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha i was a bludger in high school and still a bludger at uni.

but yeh i didnt really think id be doing economics. i enjoy the work though

i did hmm trying to remember now..

english advanced
3 unit maths
chemistry
legal studies
ancient history
history extension

warmwinter

HSC
Hi, I'm a newbie in the forum. I am a foreigner (from Asia) and just started this year (11). Next year I guess I have to take Economics because it's my subject for uni courses. I'm quite afraid of the language (even though I'm not really bad at English).
What kind of score do you usually get for VCE Eco? Just to estimate my ability

ledzeppelin

HSC
I'm doing a Commerce degree at Usyd majoring in Economics, and did not do HSC Economics.
Having studied economics previously may be beneficial for the first few weeks, as it took me a little while to get my head around some of the concepts in Micro, but after that, it shouldn't be an issue

spence

HSC
In case anyone's interested, these are the lecture summaries for Economics for Business at UTS. It's probably slightly less detailed than what you'd do at USyd or UNSW, cause we only have 8 lectures on micro and 4 on macro

BackCountrySnow

HSC
spence said:
In case anyone's interested, these are the lecture summaries for Economics for Business at UTS. It's probably slightly less detailed than what you'd do at USyd or UNSW, cause we only have 8 lectures on micro and 4 on macro
wow. thanks.

A lot of that was learnt in year 11.

Krieg

HSC
Doing HSC economics before Uni will just mean it's easier for you to pass the first year economics courses. You're definitely not guarenteed anything though as the Uni courses are more worried about you applying the economic concepts than memorizing them like in high school.

So it's a slight 'advantage' doing it, but you will still have to do as much work and be as smart as all the people who havent done HSC economics to get C/D/HD's.

tau281290

HSC
Krieg said:
Doing HSC economics before Uni will just mean it's easier for you to pass the first year economics courses. You're definitely not guarenteed anything though as the Uni courses are more worried about you applying the economic concepts than memorizing them like in high school.

So it's a slight 'advantage' doing it, but you will still have to do as much work and be as smart as all the people who havent done HSC economics to get C/D/HD's.
I love the application and I prefer it over memorization. Sounds good in uni.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Depends what you do in year 12. For my HSC i basically always read up on further concepts/learned university level models and analysis, so im finding 1st year eco at uni very repetitive so far, aside a few things. On that, i also think it is way easier at uni considering y micro course was 100 percent Multiple Choice- unlike the essay emphasis in the HSC. Macro seems more in depth- as there appears to be a far greater emphasis on the theoretical schools of thought and the different considerations of the economy under short run/long run conditions. HSC Macro looks at more international issues- for eg our terms of trade, globalisation, income inequality, environment, CAD and economic policy.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont remember much from first year, but there was mcq for the midsession but everything else was either short answer or essay.

you might have a look at the uni textbook and say it is easy...but as soon as you actually do it....well fuck

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
generally the economics stuff you do at HSC isn't the "nuts and bolts" of economics and is usually focused on empirical evidence/studying real-world economics (i.e. what happened to the american economy during the industrial revolution/depression, etc.)

you'll find because HSC incorporates micro, macro, economic history, what you learn is very basic and is just scratching the surface.

also, all uni's will teach micro 101 in a relatively simplistic fashion, such that EVERYONE starts on the same playing field, and you work your way up. they don't tend to do many proofs/derivations, so they go "the demand curve slopes up, take it as it is and don't question it till next year". which is good i guess for first year students.

that said, i have 10 or so mates who didn't do economics in high-school and got 70%+ in micro 1. micro 1 is an INTRO course, and is intended for EVERYONE to pass (of course this is based on the assumption they put some effort in). if you failed micro/macro 1 you're pretty much a boob.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)