Econ & Business Subjects choice... (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It would have been partially responsible, but not ultimately.
I don't do economics, but i've done many economic related subjects like govt and political economy. Ultimatelly the reason the crisis occured is that before all those investors saw all this potential in the asian markets. So they all started investing (especially in real estate). Then the bubble burst. All of a sudden the biggest investors started taking out their money from the country. The other investors followed suit. The foreign reserves were spent and the currencies devalued.

Australia had nothing to do with this.

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
stazi said:
No. it didnt.
The asian market crisis wasn't due to the olympics. It was due to the rapid withdrawl of investment and funds from the asian economies which spread to many countries dependent on those economies.

Hey Douchebag, next time you want to reply try reading the question. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Simple economics will tell you that the follow on effect of an economic crisis occuring to our Asian neigbours would have had negative follow-on effects for the Australian economy. Note that the Asian crisis happened in 97-98, the olympics occured two years after this.

Whilst the Olympics may have been a contributing factor to a stable level of economic activity, it was more likely the correct macroeconomic infrastructure & policies with respect to such things as the interest rate and government spending that would have stabilised our economy.

Having said this, I am unsure of the economic position of Aus in 2000.

Rorix

HSC
Many credit Australia's microeconomic reform agenda over the past 2 decades as improving the flexibility of the Australian economy. Forecasts at the time were for the crisis to drag Australia into recession along with the entire global economy.

At the time, monetary policy was constrained by the uncertainty of the effect of the crisis on Australian growth, and of course the Howard government's focus on raising public sector saving was a large constraint on the room to move with fiscal policy especially with the pressures of the crisis on the CAD.

As a result of the crisis and the efficiency of Australia as a result of microeconomic reforms, Australian exporters took advantage of markets in the Middle East, America, Europe etc. when exports to Asia were low. Also, the fall in the AUD allowed Australian exports to better price-compete in the Asian markets as it was comparatively weaker than American or European currencies.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
De Roos doesn't give the impression that he has a personality or anything so expressing anything like mean-ness seems almost impossible...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I had Dennis for lecturer (he was great though unlike De Roos) but he did the double negatives thing alot too. I think it's always like that in economics though cos every economics course I've had uses alot of annoying double negatives in questions. Drives you nuts :mad:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I hope you're asking that question to avoid him, Latvia :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
if, for some reason, you think De Roos is great then the general standard of your lecturer experiences at uni are pretty sub par

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ohhh i sat in for one of frank's lectures yesterday. best. ever :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)