Econ & Business Subjects choice... (1 Viewer)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Ok! So for my degree I need 12cp of subjects that come from the Economimcs and Business faculty, (I do the b.arts and science) so I'd like to know if there's any recommendations on what I should choose?
I've never done an Econmics of Business subject before, I'm a science head, and all my high school subjects were science.
I also suck at maths...well, I did fantastically until year 11 maths.
So, does anyone know which subjects I should choose that isn't incredibly hard? I only wish to get a pass mark. As long as I pass that's all that matters. But still, I hate maths with a burning passion.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
ecop1001 definitely.

government subjects are teh gay.
id do workplace rel.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yep, ecop1001!!!! Trust me, you won't regret. I thought i'd hate it but it was absolutely amaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
ECMT1010, cause you get to meet tig

the other day I saw him walking up on the side of merewether (up the main road where wentworth is) and he suddenly took a hold of the wall bars and was peering through them :|

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
011 said:

the other day I saw him walking up on the side of merewether (up the main road where wentworth is) and he suddenly took a hold of the wall bars and was peering through them :|
lol <3 that cunt

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
011 said:

Who's that??

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
ECMT is hard though if you aren't a maths head.

ECOP 1001 is more a Social Science subject (hence the Unit name, Economics as a Social Science) and talks about different economic paradigms.

GOVT 1205 should have been interesting but was boring as batshit cos we had a really really bad lecturer. 1202 is a little better, but it isn't difficult to be better than 1205 (which is an indication of how bad he was)

I suggest that you have a look at the other subjects on offer for 2006. The list can be found here http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/content.php?pageid=74 Not all of them are Maths based. There are things like Workplace Relations (which was mentioned before) , Marketing which are not based in Maths.

Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know how you go!

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
oooh thanks everyone for your help! at the moment i've chosen ecop1001 and govt1406 altho i'll probably change that 2nd one...i've only chosen it because for some reason we're allowed to choose any subjects except for marketing ones. but i think i also wasn't allowed to choose international type subjects but it let me select it so we'll see what happens...and hopefully i pass!

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
absolution* said:
lol dont do govt1406. douchebag darryl will own you.
your ideas intrigue me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter. well like i said i was likely to change the 2nd semester choice, i just want something with no maths.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Josie said:
your ideas intrigue me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter. well like i said i was likely to change the 2nd semester choice, i just want something with no maths.
accidently forgot to sign out of your other account?

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
I forgot I was in as Josie's computer profile. BOS is fucked and we can't sign out of our accounts and into eachother's if we're in eachother's windows log on. And I'm too lazy to get my own laptop out. *shrugs*

We are 2 different people :p

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
if you're a science head i don't know why you would want to do political economy etc
and yes govt1406 is a pain in the arse, the lecturer is a dickhead and with govt, ecop etc you will have readings to do

i would do economics.. micro and macro
you learn about things like supply and demand etc it's not very hard. i found it a good balance between theory and its practical implications.

i would probably do one of economics (macro is about economics on a more government sort of level, whereas micro is like supply and demands for firms)
and the other one i'd do would be claw1001.. the lectures are interesting, the lecturer is funny and a bit of a dickhead but not in an offensive way. he's also very very helpful to students. it's about contract law and it's not very hard at all. and it's very useful for everyday life. like you'll know your rights when you go into a shop or what things you should be aware of when you're speaking to your landlord etc

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Toodulu said:
if you're a science head i don't know why you would want to do political economy etc
and yes govt1406 is a pain in the arse, the lecturer is a dickhead and with govt, ecop etc you will have readings to do

i would do economics.. micro and macro
you learn about things like supply and demand etc it's not very hard. i found it a good balance between theory and its practical implications.

i would probably do one of economics (macro is about economics on a more government sort of level, whereas micro is like supply and demands for firms)
and the other one i'd do would be claw1001.. the lectures are interesting, the lecturer is funny and a bit of a dickhead but not in an offensive way. he's also very very helpful to students. it's about contract law and it's not very hard at all. and it's very useful for everyday life. like you'll know your rights when you go into a shop or what things you should be aware of when you're speaking to your landlord etc
if someone can only do 1 or 2 econ units, there's not much point. ecop1001 on the other hand will be more useful to someone.
and yeah, claw seems like it'd be a lot of fun

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I've done both ecop1001 and econ 1001 and (currently) econ 1002. ecop is a useful subject in the social sense but if Yulia is a science person, i would tend to agree with Toodulu about the macro/micro subjects. It's abit more analytical and I have the feeling it would suit a science orientated person. Perhaps, try out both lectures and see which one you like Yulia :)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
The kind of science i'm into though is like, biological sciences. Human biology has by far been my best subject - it's all theory, no applications of stuff. I just like theory...
And I don't think I can do CLAW, I already have to do legal studies etc so I'm not meant to do anymore legal type stuff apparently.
I just yeah, want to avoid maths at all costs!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yulia said:
The kind of science i'm into though is like, biological sciences. Human biology has by far been my best subject - it's all theory, no applications of stuff. I just like theory...
And I don't think I can do CLAW, I already have to do legal studies etc so I'm not meant to do anymore legal type stuff apparently.
if you wish to avoid maths look no further than ecop1001. some even publicise the fact that it's like econ but with no maths.

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
stazi said:
if you wish to avoid maths look no further than ecop1001. some even publicise the fact that it's like econ but with no maths.
Its funny in ECOP2001, when Joe does a differentiation on the blackboard. Everyone is like, wtf. HAhaha

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yulia said:
whoops, i thought you were okay with maths being a lab sciences student. head straight for ecop1001 then

melbournian said:
Its funny in ECOP2001, when Joe does a differentiation on the blackboard. Everyone is like, wtf. HAhaha
haha that happened in econ1001 too. most people just got crash courses (i.e 2 minute speeeedy calculus lesson) during the tutes.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
how can you not like ecop1001 :p frank stilwell is like teh ultimate secks. i orgasmed thrice during every lecture

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)