dynamics help! (1 Viewer)

VJ30

HSC
a car is travelling along a horizontal road with a velocity of 30 m/s. the engine is stopped at a marked point O along the road and then the car coasts to a stop at a point P. Frictional resistance is 1/10 of the weight of the car and air resistance is v/20 per unit mass, where v is the speed of the car. Find the distance OP and the time to travel this distance. (Take g=10)

thanks!

nightweaver066

HSC
a car is travelling along a horizontal road with a velocity of 30 m/s. the engine is stopped at a marked point O along the road and then the car coasts to a stop at a point P. Frictional resistance is 1/10 of the weight of the car and air resistance is v/20 per unit mass, where v is the speed of the car. Find the distance OP and the time to travel this distance. (Take g=10)

thanks!
By Newton's 2nd law of motion,

Going back to

Last edited:

VJ30

HSC
By Newton's 2nd law of motion,

Going back to

lol when i posted this question, i was 100% sure u will be the first guy to answer it..thanks!

edit- i though air resistance was a force itself, not acceleration

nightweaver066

HSC
lol when i posted this question, i was 100% sure u will be the first guy to answer it..thanks!

Haha just helping around as everyone else is at the BoS meat :p

It is, that's why i subtracted it when considering the forces, using

D94

HSC
N/A

In the question, it says: "air resistance is v/20 per unit mass", so it's a force. You need to multiply that by the mass of the car to determine the force of the whole body, so you get mv/20.

D94

HSC
N/A
I had a typo before which may have confused you and i've corrected it.

It is 30 + 20ln(2/5)
You haven't multiplied by 20. You have 1/20 d on one side, you haven't multiplied that across to find d by itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)