Dropping down to 10 units (1 Viewer)

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I go to girraween high, ranking in the top 15s or 10s for sciences, top 30 for math and average for english.
At the moment i'm on 11 units and am doing
4u math
3u Eng
chem
phys
Basically, I want to drop 3u english and go down to 10 units, i know the sound of 10 units is extremely dangerous but I have my reasons, for uni all i want to do is an engineering course, possibly mechatronics, aeronautical or civil and all of these courses require primarily maths and phys. I'm in year 12 at the moment, in my prelims i ranked 3rd for chem, 8th for phys, 30th for 3u math and on the dot average for English 2u and 3u.
Recently got back 4u back, in top 10, phys i'm top 5 and chem top 15 or 20. Tbh, part of why i want to drop is because i have an assessment task due tomorrow, but i've wanted to drop 3u eng for a long time, just now did i realise how useless it is for my long term goals.
I just want to ask, are my reasons justified, should i drop to 10 units?
Also i'm not sure where to put this thread, i may be in the wrong spot so i apologise if i am in the wrong forum

HSC
N/A
dropping down to ten units seems pretty logical in your case. You seem committed to your subjects, and this third unit of english seems like it wont count anyway.

babylonne

HSC
Doing ten units is completely fine as long as you're secure and confident with your other units. Most people in my grade ended up dropping down to ten units, especially the people who did 4U because of the huge workload. However, I'd advise you just continue with everything until about half yearlies because after the first assessment you might not know if your ranks will go up or down. By your second assessments, you'll have a better idea which subjects you're best at and which ones you want to work on or drop, because remember, once you drop a subject you can't go back.

Also, another reason why you might consider keeping English Extension is because you said you're average for English Advanced, and when calculating your ATAR, they take your best 2 units of English. If you do better in Extension English and not so great in Advanced then they will take that mark and one unit of your advanced. But anyway, that's just some information to help you make up your own mind. If you drop Extension English, enjoy your free periods, haha!

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I don't mean to sound cocky, and this is purely from past experience but I don't think my ranks will change much, perhaps for math but not so much for chem and phys, I've been extremely diligent from year 11 onwards and have been getting consistent results, I always study the module before it is taught in class so I can learn it essentially 3 times, by myself, tuition and school. English is a killer for me, and it drains my soul every time i have to take a text completely out of context and rant about an idea which I don't even agree with. Even last year, doing extension english severely crippled by 2u marks and possibly my maths, I take joy in studying for something I'm passionate about and english is definitely not one of them.

Yeah I did take that into consideration, but the difference between my English extension and 2-U Adv english is very miniscule, I figured i could climb alot of ranks if I don't have to dedicate as much time to english extension, which for me requires alot of my time since english is not one of my strong subjects.

At this point i'm thinking about how I can convince my deputy to let me on 10 units.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
If you're not passionate about English Ext, drop it. I think it's one of those subjective subjects where you either love it or hate it. If you believe you can pull up your ranks in English Adv, maintain ranks for everything else, EE1 probs won't count towards your ATAR, so drop it.

Or you can purposely bomb out EE1 to show you are really doing badly (would not recommend tho lol)

babylonne

HSC
I don't think you sound cocky, haha. I know lots of people who were in your situation, and it's best to play to your strengths. But yeah I actually know some people who are in your year and want to drop to ten units as well, I know they were told to wait until Term 1 of 2014. I think it's because you do 4U math and some people decide to drop it after the first assessment, or they do terribly in it.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Yeah, 4-unit will be the biggest obstacle in the year, and I'll have to prove to the deputy I won't drop it. But i did really well in the first assessment task, Idk if they're going to count it as a fluke cause i'm not top in math but i'm still fairly up there.

enoilgam

HSC
Having extra units is pointless if there isnt a strong chance that they will count - so I'd consider dropping it.

williamdaft

HSC
10 units is good, i did 2units accelerated. having 10 units in yr12 is good.. saves much more time. just make sure you're comfortable with the 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)