• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drop modern history for 4U maths? (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
I've currently got 12 units, and am contemplating on dropping Modern History since I've screwed up basically every HSC assesment task - I used to get 90 + for prelims, but lost interest, and now am only scoring an average of 80 which is ... not a great mark. As for 4U maths, I'm also not doing too well, with an average 70 for the past 3 assesment tasks - but would it be advisable to drop Modern History, and go down to 10 units so I can focus on improving my 4U maths.

ATAR and HSC wise, would it be a smart or risky move?

Thanks!:D

enoilgam

HSC
Dont focus on the marks, focus more on the rankings. When you have extra units, you must be doing fairly well in all of them if you want them to be a viable backup. For instance, if you are doing 12 units and you are doing well in every single subject except SOR II (just using an example) and you dont think it will count towards your ATAR, then it is of little use as a backup.

The situation you have given us is difficult to answer - its really something only you know. Are you doing better in modern then 4 unit? Do you think that you will be able to improve 4 unit if you drop modern (many times when people drop, the extra time they have goes to waste)?

irenefu

HSC
Yes, but only when I fully understand the concepts. I find Complex Numbers and Mechanics difficult to grasp, so I don't really like 4U when it comes to those topics.

irenefu

HSC
I'm doing fairly well in all my units except for Modern History, whilst my 4U could probably improve but I spend so much time on my humanities subjects Eco, Legal, Modern.
I'm not sure if I could do better in Modern anymore - I've lost the confidence in the topic, and we don't have a strong school cohort. As for ranking, both are similar - I'm around 11/26 for 4U, and 13/50ish for Modern History.

I'm not sure if I;m doing better in modern than 4U since Modern doesn't scale too well, in comparison to 4U. In addition, for both these subjects, my work is very scattered all over the place, and there's holes here and there . I think I could probably improve 4U seeing as I've only spent 2 hours a week on the homework this past year, in comparison to the hours of notes spent in Modern ..
Do you think I should risk it by dropping it, and focus on 4U in this case?

jenslekman

HSC
look i highly recommend that you drop modern history, especially if you aren't doing that well in modern history. focus on your 4unit and improving that. modern history is definitely too much for 2units IMO WAY TOO MUCH - reason why im stuffing up my own assessments. personally, i do both modern and 4unit and i would recommend that you drop modern unless you are VERY interested or doing well.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I found modern to be quite easy and logical

honestly op, do what appeals to you most in terms of interest

drpepper127

HSC
Uni Grad
This is exactly what I did, except I had 11 units. Best decision.

If Modern is by far your worst subject and you don't mind 4u I'd say drop it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I was in a similar case as you but my marks for Modern were much lower and near the bottom of the grade. It was only logical to drop it.

irenefu

HSC
gaaah, should I drop it after this assesment task at the end of term, or hold out until trials? I haven't studied Albert Speer in depth enough to generate a decent answer for the test, and I've got 2 other in class exams on the last 2 days of school.=|

Catching up on a whole years worth of Modern, or reinforce and strengthen my 4U ? =S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)