Driving Age to change to 18 (1 Viewer)

Zrap

glock9
HSC
TOP surgeons want to ban drivers younger than 18 from operating a motor vehicle without adult supervision, arguing teenagers' brains are too immature to handle the task alone.
The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons is pushing for tougher restrictions on young drivers in a submission to the powerful Staysafe committee's inquiry into Young Driver Safety and Education Programs.
The surgeons have been joined by The George Institute for International Health and the Australasian College of Road Safety in calling for greater curbs on teen drivers' independence. They also question the effectiveness of short-term classroom-based training for novice drivers.
NSW Staysafe chairman Geoff Corrigan said yesterday the bipartisan NSW parliamentary committee was treating seriously the call for greater restrictions.
Mr Corrigan, the Member for Camden, said the committee, which has previously paved the way for controversial road safety reforms such as random breath testing, had taken a keen interest in the submissions.
Professor Danny Cass, from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, said the need for greater restrictions on novice drivers was driven by evidence that more teenage lives could be saved.
He said raising the minimum age for driving solo and restricting passengers in daylight hours was the natural next step after last year's P-plate law changes in NSW.
At present 17-year-olds can drive alone after 12 months of supervised driving. For the next year, these P-plate drivers are restricted to driving a maximum of 90 kilometres per hour.
A curfew has seen them restricted to carrying only one passenger under 21 years between 11pm and 5am.
Professor Cass said that US research suggested that teenagers were periodically ill-equipped to handle the complexities of driving, particularly when distracted.
"There is evidence to suggest that the part of the brain that assesses risks and controls impulsive behaviour is not fully developed until about age 25 (23 years in females), providing a physical reason why restrictions such as night-time curfews and limiting peer passengers is so important," he said.
"It's like when a nine-year-old chases after a ball onto the road, and they literally shut off their hearing. They cannot multi-task. Research suggests that the crossover point where teaching skills starts to overcome this problem is about 18 or 19 in most people."
The US Government's National Institutes of Health reported last year that when contemplating risky decisions, young drivers show less activity in regions of the brain that regulate decision-making, compared with adults.
The areas of the frontal lobe, which are among the last to develop, control thinking functions, decision-making and reward-related input.
Frontal lobe: The part of the brain that weighs risks and controls impulsive behaviour isn't fully developed until about age 25.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/call-to-raise-driving-age/2008/03/15/1205472157863.html

LOL. Blaming the brain and the process of development.

bassistx

HSC
Teenagers brains are so immature that they have to decide what to do for the rest of their lives (tertiary study). Fuck me dead, scientists are all bullshit.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
The age of the driver doesn't matter if the person who teaches them to drive is a spacktard.

I propose that people who want to teach drivers (PARENTS) should do a day where their actual driving ability is tested. So how do they handle situations, do they know the road rules etc. One day isn't that inconvenient, and it should produce a better quality of driver.

Because yes, there are some shitty shitty drivers out their, and they're actually teaching kids how to drive!!! How can we expect the kids to drive well if their instructor has fuck all idea?

kloudsurfer

HSC
As opposed to non-working families...?

Ive always thought that phrase was meaningless

G-Dawg

HSC
this is a stupid idea it takes long enough to get your license at the moment ...

Foxodi

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Probably still have 36 monthes of Ps, because it is awesome for revenue.
So true...
That being said, I wouldn't care much if it was pushed back to 18yrs old ... then again, I dont think it would reduce batcrap driving by much...

jcurry

HSC
stupid idea
what about all the teenagers who become trades people
i think 17 for getting your p's is the right age, fair enough if they want to make us have our p's longer but dont raise the age limit a lot of teenagers are going to be very angry

jacqueline-joan

HSC
G-Dawg said:
this is a stupid idea it takes long enough to get your license at the moment ...
i agree..
i Only just get my P's nOw that i'm 17 because i bet that rule befOre it came in..
but it dOesnt matter what they change the laws tO...
its what the persOn is teaching the child hOw tO drive...
if they have a parent that dOesnt give a shit then Of cOurse they are gOin tO be stupid and cause accidents...
so its just really stupid making all these laws because its still gOin tO happen....
its defently hard fOr kids in the cOuntry beacause parents wOrk and fOr example i'm starting a TAFE cOurse like alOt Of Other kids because yOu dnt get alOt Of things in the cOunrty and yOu cant make anything Of yOurself ere...
sO we dO need a license sO we can make sOmething Of Ourselves and dO wat we want tO dO...
but with the laws kids have tO wait lOnger nOw...
its just stupid...

DildoInDaHood

HSC
jacqueline-joan said:
i agree..
i Only just get my P's nOw that i'm 17 because i bet that rule befOre it came in..
but it dOesnt matter what they change the laws tO...
its what the persOn is teaching the child hOw tO drive...
if they have a parent that dOesnt give a shit then Of cOurse they are gOin tO be stupid and cause accidents...
so its just really stupid making all these laws because its still gOin tO happen....
its defently hard fOr kids in the cOuntry beacause parents wOrk and fOr example i'm starting a TAFE cOurse like alOt Of Other kids because yOu dnt get alOt Of things in the cOunrty and yOu cant make anything Of yOurself ere...
sO we dO need a license sO we can make sOmething Of Ourselves and dO wat we want tO dO...
but with the laws kids have tO wait lOnger nOw...
its just stupid...
i agree wif jacqueline-joan

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Why have you capitalised all your 'o's, jacqueline-joan? It makes reason your post extremely irritating.

I'm happy with the current driving liscencing age, myself.

Nat3skiz

HSC
Kwayera said:
Why have you capitalised all your 'o's, jacqueline-joan? It makes reason your post extremely irritating.

I'm happy with the current driving liscencing age, myself.
why did you replace the word "reading" with "reason"? It makes understanding your post extremely irritating.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Lets stop all young people from driving. then stop all asians from driving. Oh and lets not forget women.

But seriously I wouldn't object to something like this (mainly cos I'm 18 already).

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Nat3skiz said:
why did you replace the word "reading" with "reason"? It makes understanding your post extremely irritating.
Accidental word salad > intentional mangling of punctuation, much?

If I'd added "ing" to the end of "reason" (which now that I think about it, I was trying to type "reading" and somehow ended up with "reason" - rhyming word salad!), I could have sounded erudite. Damn. Opportunity missed.

Nat3skiz

HSC
Kwayera said:
Accidental word salad > intentional mangling of punctuation, much?

If I'd added "ing" to the end of "reason" (which now that I think about it, I was trying to type "reading" and somehow ended up with "reason" - rhyming word salad!), I could have sounded erudite. Damn. Opportunity missed.
this is true. While you're in this philosophical state, whats the meaning of life?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)