Double Induction? (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
So I was thinking of whether the following inductive statements are logically valid:

Say we have 2 statements, and

So as you can see, both inductive steps are connected to each other in a sort of circle, does it still count as circularity considering we are only assuming it for an inductive step?

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
So I was thinking of whether the following inductive statements are logically valid:

Say we have 2 statements, and

So as you can see, both inductive steps are connected to each other in a sort of circle, does it still count as circularity considering we are only assuming it for an inductive step?
I should be able to answer this, but the way you have written this is slightly ambiguous/confusing...especially on the quantifier front. Can you rephrase it a little more formally please?

Eg is the statement that statement 1 is true about the number n. The symbols refer to: and, (inclusive) or, not,for all, there exists, implication.

So the classical statement about induction being valid is:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I should be able to answer this, but the way you have written this is slightly ambiguous/confusing...especially on the quantifier front. Can you rephrase it a little more formally please?

Eg is the statement that statement 1 is true about the number n. The symbols refer to: and, (inclusive) or, not,for all, there exists, implication.

So the classical statement about induction being valid is:

Right, so I would perhaps characterise what I'm saying like this:

Making it easier to read:

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Sure, it seems this should be valid. (If we have P1 and P2 then we have both statements for all positive integers.)

If we write , then this is pretty much the standard induction axiom applied to S.

We have , so

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Sure, it seems this should be valid. (If we have P1 and P2 then we have both statements for all positive integers.)

If we write , then this is pretty much the standard induction axiom applied to S.

We have , so

Ah ok thank you!

I asked this because I was trying to solve an induction question like this, and thought if it was logically valid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)