• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Double Degrees- Good/No difference for employment? (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey guys,
I was just wondering, does doing a double degree such as Engineering/ Commerce or Com/law or Com/Eco or others ( u name it, any~ ) increase your chances of employment? If so, any good examples, or if not, could you explain why not so? lol , thanks =)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
its up to the person in the end. but wouldnt that make sense that you would be employable in two areas rather than one if you were to do two degrees?

i.e Commerce/Law ....business areas and work in a law background??

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I could see how they could come in handy and open you up to more employment opportunities.

My father didn't do a double, but two masters - MBA in 02, and MSci in the 70's. He's now the business development director of a scientific company which allows him to practice in both fields.

HSC
Employment:
BA: 0
LLB: A zillion billion

BA/LLB: A zillion billion.

X

xeuyrawp

kevinx2 said:
Employment:
BA: 0
LLB: A zillion billion

BA/LLB: A zillion billion.
Yeah, because it's not like every university now offers a law degree, or that people with shit UAIs can still get into law. Amirite?!

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah, because it's not like every university now offers a law degree, or that people with shit UAIs can still get into law. Amirite?!
Fine, a zillion million then.

Forbidden. said:
wow pal, thank god the analogy of the wave superposition principle doesnt apply to degrees
Not at all. :D

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Not sure I think it depends what they are like i am going to do arts/teaching

08er

HSC
depends whether the 2 degrees are relevant to your choice of employment duh

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
It ultimately depends on your career goals and the job opportunities in your chosen field. A double degree should give you enough diversity to practice in 2 different fields but also should be able to be combined into a major strength. So a Commerce/Law double may open up more taxation or corporate law positions or you could work as a criminal lawyer or accountant as if you had the single degrees. Commerce/Engineering will allow you to pursue separate financial or engineering careers or combine the two to pursue fields like project management for example. I know people at my uni (Adelaide) who do Science/Mining Engineering doubles who are majoring in Geology so they can work as either geologists or mining engineers separately but the fields obviously tie in nicely so they can create a major strength. I know I've just provided only a few specific examples but I hope you get my drift about double degrees. Employers often appreciate double degrees because it shows dedication to study and diversity of knowledge. My brother does law and most people in his law classes are doing double degrees (with engineering, commerce, science, economics, arts, health sciences, design studies etc) and they were told by a law firm that they value double degree graduates because a second degree often brings an additional set of skills to those developed during the law degree.

Word of warning though, many double degree plans reduce your number of electives in order to complete both degrees in a short period of time. So you may look at a single degree plan and see elective 1, elective 2 etc and then look at the double degree plan and see these electives have been consumed by subjects from your other degree. This isn't really a disadvantage because if you want to complete additional courses, you can so you don't have to lose those electives but it will take a longer time. Plus if you pick a broader degree such as science or arts to be your second degree, you may find the plan is for a specific major (which you may or may not be interested in) but you don't have to do that major, that is just the major which will allow you to complete both degrees in the minimum amount of time and what the uni's will generally timetable classes and exams for to avoid clashes but this can be rectified, you just may have to take classes in different semesters etc.

Hope this helps, I know the question was mainly about employment prospects etc but I just thought I'd provide other information that may be useful in your decision. Just remember though, you can always drop your double. It is generally easier to drop a double than pick one up because if you have a dodgy first year (as many people adjusting to uni do), your GPA may not be enough to pick up a double.

Good Luck!

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey thanks everyone for replying! I think I have a more comprehensive knowledge on the double ideas of double degrees. Thanks esp to nimrod_dookie for such an into depth post lol ! I think I'm more confident about choosing to do a double degree now.

Princess Leng

HSC
my work buddy told me that doing a double degree is actually very beneficial for employment because it shows that you can handle more that that which is required.

HSC
Princess Leng said:
my fuck buddy told me that doing a double pentration is actually very beneficial for pleasure because it shows that you can handle more than the 1 cock which is required.
K.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)