double degree - help! (1 Viewer)

amour

Female
HSC
Hi there, I have a few questions :) I was looking into
1) What is the difference between a double degree and combined degree?
2) Do double/combined degrees = double the work?
3) I wanted to do Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Commerce.. what kind of job offers me to apply skills of both fields?

Thanks!

amour

Female
HSC
1) same
2) not really
3)Employers:

Agricultural agencies
Banks and financial institutions
Consultancy firms
Environment protection authorities
Exploration and mining industries
Government departments
Hospitals
IT companies
Medical research centres (especially laboratories)
Museums
National parks and conservation agencies
Research institutions
Telecommunication companies
Accounting
Auditing
Chartered accounting
Government accounting
Investment management
Management consulting
Merchant banks
Public practice
Thanks alot, that wasa quite helpful!
Do you mind expanding on question 2 for me please? I'm still abit unsure about the workload :s

enoilgam

HSC
It isnt that much more than a single degree. This is mainly because you spend a bit more time at university (usually a year) and because most often, degrees are compacted when combined.

amour

Female
HSC
It isnt that much more than a single degree. This is mainly because you spend a bit more time at university (usually a year) and because most often, degrees are compacted when combined.
Oh that makes more sense. Thanks alot :)

Gigacube

HSC
2) Do double/combined degrees = double the work?
No. Usually you do 4 subjects per semester. If you do a double/combined degree then you'll do 2 subjects of one degree & 2 subjects of the other degree in one semester. It just takes longer to get a combined/double degree.

TheExpert

HSC
N/A
I read something very interesting from somewhere else too. someone commented that there's no point taking a double degree since it will increase one's pay etc, so one might as well use the extra time needed to complete a masters instead, which will be much more useful and relevant.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I read something very interesting from somewhere else too. someone commented that there's no point taking a double degree since it will increase one's pay etc, so one might as well use the extra time needed to complete a masters instead, which will be much more useful and relevant.
Huh?

Also I don't think it's as simple and clear cut as that. Every industry and career path is different. It comes down to where you want to go.

DanTarts

HSC
1. They are the same thing. Different universities call it differently. Some places call them dual degrees too.

2. Generally, no. It won't be double the work since you're still doing the same load every semester (i.e. 4 units for full time). It will be 2 units for one degree and 2 for the other each semester. However, some people may struggle with juggling between 2 different fields and there may be timetabling issues.

I'm doing a double degree in Business/Commerce too but with a B Arts.

amour

Female
HSC
1. They are the same thing. Different universities call it differently. Some places call them dual degrees too.

2. Generally, no. It won't be double the work since you're still doing the same load every semester (i.e. 4 units for full time). It will be 2 units for one degree and 2 for the other each semester. However, some people may struggle with juggling between 2 different fields and there may be timetabling issues.

I'm doing a double degree in Business/Commerce too but with a B Arts.
Thanks for your reply. Since you're only taking 2 units for each course, does that mean you may be disadvantaged in some subjects because you don't have a more thorough understanding than, say your peers taking B commerce and B sci only?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Thanks for your reply. Since you're only taking 2 units for each course, does that mean you may be disadvantaged in some subjects because you don't have a more thorough understanding than, say your peers taking B commerce and B sci only?
From what I know you end up doing the same work just spread out over a longer period of time.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
No, not necessarily. Remember that to progress from a junior unit to an intermediate and so on, there are often prerequisites which must be satisfied before being able to enrol (except in special circumstances) in a higher unit. As stated earlier, it will just take you longer to finish one of your degrees because more credit points must be completed over your entire undergraduate career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)