doped semiconductors question (1 Viewer)

asb_92

HSC
hi everyone
umm i dont really get the concept of holes/electrons in semiconductors so could someone plz answer this question:

why do the holes in a doped semiconductor move in the opposite direction to the electrons?

any help would be great

micuzzo

HSC
^ok i think its best to read ur textbook... but i will give u a short explanation:

the holes are just spaces where the electrons should be but are not, this means that if an electron moves in one direction the hole that it left will be filled by another electron behnind it... hence in actual fact no holes are moving... its just that the hole of one electron moving in one direction becomes occupied by another electron and so a hole is being created behind it.

asb_92

HSC
ahh right .. yeh i kinda get it
thanks heaps =)

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
^ok i think its best to read ur textbook... but i will give u a short explanation:

the holes are just spaces where the electrons should be but are not, this means that if an electron moves in one direction the hole that it left will be filled by another electron behnind it... hence in actual fact no holes are moving... its just that the hole of one electron moving in one direction becomes occupied by another electron and so a hole is being created behind it.
Yep, it's kinda like if you are in a queue at the doctors and everytime a new patient goes into the doctors room, everyone moves forward one seat. The people moving forward are the electrons, the gap left by each person moving forward is the hole.

In reality, holes actually do have a "mobility" which implies movement, and it is a function of what is termed their "effective mass"

mR sinister

HSC
+1 ^
Also when your in a car stopped at a Red light.

if the person in front of you moves forward a little bit, leaving a gap
you would then also move forward to cover up the gape, and in the process you leave a gap where your car originally was stopped, then the person behind you would move into that gap and so on.....

Think of the cars as electrons and The gaps as holes !
and as each car (electron remember) moves forward it creates a current
[as current is the movement of charged particles]

This is the case of a P-type semiconductor (p stands for positive) as the holes produced are positively charged. A p-type semi-conductor is produced by doping silicon (semiconductor) with a group 3 element.

If you remember from year 10, an atoms outer shell can have 8 electrons. Semiconductors like silicon have 4 electrons in their outer shell, and too be complete they need to accept another 4 electrons.
However, once we dope a semiconductor with a group 3 element, which has 3 electrons in the outershell
we get 4 + 3 = 7
7 electrons in the P-type semiconductor outer shell. This makes it highly conductive as it only needs 1 more electron to accept to be complete.

You should know be able to understand the importance of doping, it is too increase the semiconductors conductivity.

N- type semiconductors (N stands for negative) is produced by doping Silicon with a group 5 element.
Which contains 5 electrons.
so, 5 + 4 = 9
9 electrons are present in the outer shell of a N-type Semiconductor,
So it needs to LOSE 1 electron to be complete.
Again, making the semiconductor highly conductive as 1 electron is easier to lose than 4 electrons.
Since the N-type semiconductor contains 1 more electron it is Negatively charged, as electrons have negative charges.

That should cover what you need to know about semi-conductors and doping in the syllabus.
Now you can read up on Diodes, and PN junctions :D

Last edited:

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
I'm loving these thought experiments lmao. There's also the egg carton one. Fill it up with eggs, with one egg missing. Then move the eggs along one by one --> Holes move in the opposite direction.

I can see how Einstein kept himself amused.

rach232

HSC
I'm loving these thought experiments lmao. There's also the egg carton one. Fill it up with eggs, with one egg missing. Then move the eggs along one by one --> Holes move in the opposite direction.

I can see how Einstein kept himself amused.
on that egg carton theory.
that represents the holes. what about the ones where one extra electron comes in. how do you model that with the egg carton?

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Instead of putting eggs in there, put ball bearings in there. Let one ball bearing roam around free between the pits.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Could keep you entertained for hours!

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)