Does the HSC determine how smart you are. Discuss. (2 Viewers)

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
I think its about how familiar you are with certain types of questions, rather than your intelligence
yes i do agree with this. If one thing i have noticed when i was doing questions/past papers the "same" question was being asked in different ways

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Yes but only to an extent. Like, a person who got 99+ would surely be smarter than someone who got, for example, a 70...
That said, there are times where smart people got low atars and not so smart people got high atars.
Hence, to an extent.
nope

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
yeah i agree with Kiraken. My friend had the potential to do really really well in the HSC but illness and family issues struck him down and he only evded up with 50 atar. never the less he recovered and got accepted into uws science and is doing really well

d-alarmclock

HSC
Yes but only to an extent. Like, a person who got 99+ would surely be smarter than someone who got, for example, a 70...
That said, there are times where smart people got low atars and not so smart people got high atars.
Hence, to an extent.
No, I don't agree with that. A person can get a 99 atar by doing arts subjects like CAFS, Early childhood, drama, etc which are subjective, whereas a person who might be doing more content based subjects like physics, chemistry, maths etc cannot solely rely on intepretation

MrTammoth

HSC
yes you horrible people deserve my likes, they are very valuable, may you respect this.

Appreciate
kthxbai

MrTammoth

HSC
wow sah nice.
receiving a like is like achieving 99 atar.

Lethal Toxin

HSC
if you consider memorizing copious amounts of useless information "smart" then, yes. Note that those 95+ snobs who think there some sort of genius tend to be the ones flipping your burgers trying to desperately pay off there debts.

iStudent

HSC
yeah i agree with Kiraken. My friend had the potential to do really really well in the HSC but illness and family issues struck him down and he only evded up with 50 atar. never the less he recovered and got accepted into uws science and is doing really well
There's a lot more to HSC than just plain rote learning imo. And I don't think you can say that ANYONE who simply "works hard" can pull off ATARs as high as 99+ (or, for exaggeration purposes, 99.95). If that was so, then every pure rote learner who exists will be scoring 99.95 and that obviously isn't the case.
And your example is a bit extreme. I think the general "intelligent person" is also hard working, probably doesn't fall into illness like your friend unfortunately did and would score higher ATARs that way.

So what you're trying to say is that HSC has completely, and I mean absolutely NO correlation with intelligence?. I think that's a bit too definitive. Imo, there is an extent that this correlation exists.

I should also correct my previous post. The *average* 99+er would surely be smarter than, for example, your average mystery mark-er who got a mystery mark. (just to highlight my point).

Last edited:

MrTammoth

HSC
HSC is a matter of preparing you for UNI. HSC does not distinguish you from dumb people and smart people. It is only designed to test your ability to study and cope with the intense work load that will evolve once you get into UNI.

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
HSC is a matter of preparing you for UNI. HSC does not distinguish you from dumb people and smart people. It is only designed to test your ability to study and cope with the intense work load that will evolve once you get into UNI.
nope not at all.

HSC is just getting the atar to get into uni. uni is more learning things rather than memorizing and repeating on the test for the most part

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
lol have you been to uni before?
From what I've heard, uni is much more independent than HSC. HSC is just a mechanism of getting into uni, just like what cub3root said (are you any chance related to SR lol)

MrTammoth

HSC
nope not at all.

HSC is just getting the atar to get into uni. uni is more learning things rather than memorizing and repeating on the test for the most part
Nope you're wrong. HSC involves children studying and creating methods of studying that they will be implemented in their tertiary studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)