Does school rank effect your atar (1 Viewer)

gosfa747

HSC
I want to get a 97+ atar wondering if school rank effects it cause i go to a school in the 400's

enoilgam

HSC
School ranking has no effect on your ATAR, but the stength of your cohort does.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's perfectly possible for a person in the rank 400s to get a 99.95, 97+ is no impossible shot :)

If you come 1st in a sub and perform well externally, your cohort has no bearing on you.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The person who is ranked first gets the (unmoderated) highest aligned exam mark as their internal mark. If you are at a level where your school could considerably affect your ATAR then it should be no problem to top all/most subjects and not be affected at all by the moderation process.

Last edited:

freeeeee

HSC
97+ in a School with rank 400+ means u need dux, first in all subjects to be safe.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
97+ in a School with rank 400+ means u need dux, first in all subjects to be safe.
Yet again, depends on your cohort, if your saying first in all subjects.

Don't give up mate, i'm aiming for a high atar as well, and my school is bearing in the 500s. I'll pull 1st in 3 subjects, other 3 are gonna be a challenge though :)

Runningup

HSC
N/A
School raking has no effect on atar since it is determined after the hsc results come out. What effects your atar is your cohort. That is why it is vital to rank well when you do your HSC, the person who ranked 1st will get the highest external exam mark as there internal mark and the person who ranked last will get the lowest mark. Then if you have a strong cohort and the average is higher than your internal average you will get scaled up but ranks must be maintained so if you came 5th you must have the 5th highest mark for you internal and so on hope i made sense if not let me know the board of studies has a section explaining this.

How moderation works (this is why your cohort effects you) | http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

How results are determined | http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/determining-achievement.html

HSC scaling indepth | http://www.duxcollege.com.au/hsc-scaling-i-49.html

If your first in your subjects scaling wont effect you at all depending on the size of your cohort try coming in the top 3-4 for all your subjects and do well in externals.

moderating-example-table.gif

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)