Does music help you study or do homework? (1 Viewer)

L-esky

HSC
I sometimes listen to music while studying. It really depends on what music I'm listening to and what subject it is. However, I remember last year I tried to memorise the main points for an essay before I went into the exam and sang all the points to the tune of one song on my ipod (I can't remember which one though and I came up with this idea because I'd tried everything and nothing helped the points stick in my head.) and I did really well because I just had to get the tune going round my head and everything that I'd read kinda flowed out onto the paper haha.

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
jcurry said:
each to their own

Mostly listen to Muse, Ok Go, RHCP, Nirvana, Billy Talent, Bernard Fanning, Mindless Self Indulgence, The Offspring, Blink-182, Eskimo Joe, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Pete Murray, Weezer and Simple Plan while studying
i have an incredibly similar playlist with some trance for friday nights(if nothing else is happening:drink: )
seems odd we listen to contempory and everyone else is classical. i swear classical puts me to sleep or causes me to lose focus

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
it all depends on what im studying...if its simple maths h/w then yes, if its assignments/studying for test/exam then no.
i also sometimes like tv as background noise.

4unitfreak

HSC
If it's just copying stuff from a textbook or the whiteboard, word for word, without needing to concentrate on what I'm writing, music is fine. But I can't listen to it while doing productive study that requires concentration, because I'll want to concentrate entirely on the music. I get pretty absorbed in my muzak.

beve

Jesus
HSC
at school when you need to shut off from all the people in my free periods, yeah. but when im at home if i get into something i get the uncontrollable urge to go and play guitar. i'm addicted.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
flux by bloc party is oddly energising. particularly when doing maths.

amystephens

HSC
it depends on what mood i'm in, and what work i'm doing.
with pretty much anything, i can have ben kweller, the beatles, muse in the background. nothing too heavy or anything.

but if i'm in an angry or "productive" mood, i don't want to listen to anything.

margaret-lise

HSC
miegoreng said:
I was just wondering if listening to music has any impact (negative or positive) on study and doing homework. Or does it all just depend on the type of person? How would music affect most people with their homework or study?

Would music be better or worse when listened to when studying rather than just doing homework?
fast music like dance music makes you do stuff faster. its why they play it in clothes stores because it makes you shop faster.

Last edited:

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Pretty much Indian playback.

Sweet genre.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
I like playing soft music while studying...Ef, orchestral pieces etc.

Felix Jones

HSC
miegoreng said:
I was just wondering if listening to music has any impact (negative or positive) on study and doing homework. Or does it all just depend on the type of person? How would music affect most people with their homework or study?

Would music be better or worse when listened to when studying rather than just doing homework?
listening to music actually distracts u, especially non classical, NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE.
but we tend to study longer when listening to music because our mind is fed audio stimulus...don't know whether that actually helps you in the end or not..
pro..u study longer, cover more
con..you concentration is not 100%

dior1

HSC
N/A
i can't study with music. i get too distracted and start nodding/tapping, which leads to singing =[. i save music forwhen i wanna relax

abrocks22

HSC
music that you like but dont love is good music to listen to while doing homework...if you love the song your listening to, you'll get distracted and and start singin along to the song

jules.09

HSC
Yeah it can sure help. Depends what kind of genre too. I'm a great fan of jazz and 70/80/90's music, so that may pose a bit of a problem...

But I have heard somewhere that listening to music while you are studying is detrimental because it decreases the capacity to recall. Basically, by listening to music, you become less productive mentally, reducing your concentration, and for example, you will remember 50% of your work listening to music, whereas you would remember 90% of your work without.

Those figures were arbitrary. Simply to make a point. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)