Does music help you study or do homework? (1 Viewer)

miegoreng

HSC
I was just wondering if listening to music has any impact (negative or positive) on study and doing homework. Or does it all just depend on the type of person? How would music affect most people with their homework or study?

Would music be better or worse when listened to when studying rather than just doing homework?

Shoubadoo

HSC
When doing homework, I can have music of genre I like on, as long as it's not something real jazzy that I can't help standing up and singing along to :shy:

When studying, I opt for soft, melodic background music.
I've tried the classical. It works, to.
Helps you get in the zone and zone out from the noises around you.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
I suppose it depends on the type of person. Like I'll use my friend as an example, he's in LOVE with trance and he even studies with it, according to him he says he can concerntrate better but whereas if I were to compare myself to him I would find it distracting because 1, I HATE trance its loud and so bloody repetitive! and 2, I like soft, quiet classical type kind of music when I study because for me personally I think its calming and I concentrate better.
So yeah pretty much it depends on the type of person :)
If your the type that easily gets distracted when studying, don't have to music at all or have music without lyrics (eg. classical etc) in the background.

Last edited:

Shoubadoo

HSC
theshortykatt said:
ive been trying to find some good classical.. any help??
Bach, mozart, Vivaldis Four Seasons:
Look it up on google. Type in 'classical study music' and there are sites which give you lists of CDs they recommend, or some you can buy online.

michael1990

HSC
I have never used music when i am studying.

But i have music on when i read. So i suppose if i have soft, casual music in the background it would be good.

I will try it.

neafoo

HSC
I usually have music off when i study. Just makes me wanna play guitar.

EDIT: occassionally i listen to some ambient stuff.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
theshortykatt said:
how on earth can you read with music???????????
doesn't it disturb the imagination for fiction, or the lovely facts in other books?
LOL

I can't help it.

And nope, i just keep reading and it keeps me smiling. Then i get right into the book, but yeah it just has to have music while i read. And i can't read with a lamp, it has to be a light.

michael1990

HSC
theshortykatt said:
i hate lights mannn!!!!

i love my bedside lamp.. it has a soft yellow/orangeish glow...
So does mine, but that doesn't mean i will use to read.

I think i have some OCD habits.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I don't listen to music when I study. I get distracted even by the tiniest noise. However, when I study Maths, I think it is okay even though I don't listen to music when I do Maths.

However, I wouldn't recommend studying with music.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i have always studied with music. lol;

except when in the library. lol. it keeps my mind from wandering ~O~

Jess007

HSC
music helps sometimes but when i need to actually really concentrate it screws me up, i end up singing and dont concentrate on the work

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Jess007 said:
music helps sometimes but when i need to actually really concentrate it screws me up, i end up singing and dont concentrate on the work
you end up singing???

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Sometimes i listen to ambient-ish music like kill paradise and aphex twin.

Also some hardstyle with no lyircs.

But generally not much.

jcurry

HSC
lyounamu said:
I don't listen to music when I study. I get distracted even by the tiniest noise. However, when I study Maths, I think it is okay even though I don't listen to music when I do Maths.

However, I wouldn't recommend studying with music.
each to their own

i find music motivates me and gets me concentrating to do my best, unlike others though i dont listen to classical or soft music.

Mostly listen to Muse, Ok Go, RHCP, Nirvana, Billy Talent, Bernard Fanning, Mindless Self Indulgence, The Offspring, Blink-182, Eskimo Joe, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Pete Murray, Weezer and Simple Plan while studying

I must be weird, just find that listening to this kinda music speaks to me to do my best or something like that, even though happy music wont lol

Last edited:

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
i find that its a habit & it can b useful either wayy . up until this yr id alwaiz study with music on :cool: . it used to keep me awake =p and kind of motivate me, as in, throw in a burst of energy. bt then my rents decided it was ' no way to study ' and made me turn it off during study timeee. and nw after a few months. i cant wrk at all with music =s . i find i actually understnd more nw tht i dnt listen to it as the work seems more clear to me wher as before id study & get my wrk done however it wdnt stick or i wdnt understnd it . lols. does tht mke sense =p . i guess at the end of the day its different for each person. its a lot like watching tve while ur hmewrk. i have NO idea hw ppl manage to do that. :read:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I pretty much always listen to music when studying except for when I study english or do practice tests (so that it is like test conditions). For some reason when it is quiet my mind wonders really badly but when there is music on it doesnt.

Mainly alternative music or old rock - beatles work awesome

scuba05

HSC
I cant study/do hw without music.
I get distracted by little things, but music doesnt, even if its lyrical stuff. Seems to calm me down and get me concentrating.
What im listenin 2 depends on the day. Could be House(Dirty South etc), Rock (RATM, RHCP, LP etc), metal (Sevendust, Dope, Spineshank, Static X), or even Hardcore Trance (Bonkers 15 & 16).
It cant be extremely loud, but cant be so you can just hear it.
Idk how ppl can not study wifout music, but then again everyone is different.
But reading wif music as Michael said? Fuk that shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)