Does it matter where you go for an Arts degree? (1 Viewer)

Politic

HSC
N/A
Hi,

If I don't get into law I would do an arts degree then if I still wanna do law I'd probs do a juris doctor.

So in the scenario I don't make it into law degrees I apply for, would it be suicide for me not to do arts at a uni like USYD? Or would somewhere like MAQ suffice?

Areas of interest in arts: psychology, philosophy, politics, possibly a language.

Thanks for all who contribute positively. :)

yours

HSC
hi =)
No it doesn't matter, though I think you can get into Sydney Arts since the ATAR req. isn't too high (84-86??). In any case, the university doesn't really matter to employers, I think it just matters to you. If you do do a BA chances are you're going to do something in post grad. or a masters in a more specific area, and then the university of choice may be more important, but with each higher qualification, the preceding one becomes insignificant. Conclusion: Doesn't matter where you do arts. Choose a uni that offers subjects you want to study/ is close or whatever reasons you find important =)

Politic

HSC
N/A
hi =)
No it doesn't matter, though I think you can get into Sydney Arts since the ATAR req. isn't too high (84-86??). In any case, the university doesn't really matter to employers, I think it just matters to you. If you do do a BA chances are you're going to do something in post grad. or a masters in a more specific area, and then the university of choice may be more important, but with each higher qualification, the preceding one becomes insignificant. Conclusion: Doesn't matter where you do arts. Choose a uni that offers subjects you want to study/ is close or whatever reasons you find important =)
Thanks :) Is it possible to do say undergrad Arts at Macquarie and then postgrad law at Sydney?

yours

HSC

Politic

HSC
N/A

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
if you really want to do law, go for a transfer instead of graduate law, anyone can transfer

Politic

HSC
N/A
if you really want to do law, go for a transfer instead of graduate law, anyone can transfer
so i cant do a undergrad degree at macquarie and then graduate law at sydney (juris doctor)? it seems a bit unfair if i cant. if ur saying i cant can said person provide evidence explicitly saying this? thanks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Internal transfer is a lot easier at UNSW than any other university, in my opinion.

so i cant do a undergrad degree at macquarie and then graduate law at sydney (juris doctor)? it seems a bit unfair if i cant. if ur saying i cant can said person provide evidence explicitly saying this? thanks
You can transfer into a JD at Sydney from any university. Just do well, and beef up your cocurriculars.

Politic

HSC
N/A
Internal transfer is a lot easier at UNSW than any other university, in my opinion.

You can transfer into a JD at Sydney from any university. Just do well, and beef up your cocurriculars.
How well is well?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Upper Distinction-High Distinction average, with cocurriculars will get you into USyd JD (CSE).

Lower-Mid Distinction (or Upper Distinction with limited cocurriculars) will probably get you a CSE, or will get you a non-CSE place.

High Credit (or Distinction with limited cocurriculars) will probably get you a non-CSE place.

If you're on a lower Credit, it's probably unlikely.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
i never said that

1. do 1 year of b.arts at macq
2. try superhard during the year
3. apply for a transfer b.arts/llb

Politic

HSC
N/A
Upper Distinction-High Distinction average, with cocurriculars will get you into USyd JD (CSE).

Lower-Mid Distinction (or Upper Distinction with limited cocurriculars) will probably get you a CSE, or will get you a non-CSE place.

High Credit (or Distinction with limited cocurriculars) will probably get you a non-CSE place.

If you're on a lower Credit, it's probably unlikely.
also what's the difference in cost between CSE and non-CSE again in terms of the monetary difference? Thanks.

Politic

HSC
N/A
i never said that

1. do 1 year of b.arts at macq
2. try superhard during the year
3. apply for a transfer b.arts/llb
Okay..... sorry for the overload of questions but....... how would this work with me catching up of first year law and doing second year law in one year, or would i need to spend longer?

Also...... how many people achieve transfers into combined law at MAQ verses how many fail? answer if you can :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
also what's the difference in cost between CSE and non-CSE again in terms of the monetary difference? Thanks.
Not being able to do your own research (read: google searches) does not bode well for you. Shows pure laziness. http://sydney.edu.au/law/fstudent/jd/faq.shtml#14

Okay..... sorry for the overload of questions but....... how would this work with me catching up of first year law and doing second year law in one year, or would i need to spend longer?

Also...... how many people achieve transfers into combined law at MAQ verses how many fail? answer if you can :)
Most people wouldn't have to do another year transferring into law in their second year. I have no idea about transfers though.

Politic

HSC
N/A
Most people wouldn't have to do another year transferring into law in their second year. I have no idea about transfers though.
People say transfers are the best option over graduate, yet there is a lack of information for some unis as to how this works (nuts and bolts) in my experience.

izzy88

HSC
People say transfers are the best option over graduate, yet there is a lack of information for some unis as to how this works (nuts and bolts) in my experience.
for usyd you apply through UAC to transfer. It generally does not take any extra time if you transfer (I have known many people who transfer). You can apply to transfer from an x/law degree at another university (eg. arts/law) or from just an undergraduate degree (eg. arts).

At usyd, there is no preference given as to whether you are already studying law or if you are already at usyd - everyone wanting to transfer is lumped in the same basket and basically ranked (based on ATAR and GPA) - they take top x number of students for however many places are available. The reason uni's are vague I think about how transferring works is that getting in can depend on how many spots there are (changes every year depending on how many people dropped out), and who else is applying.

Furthermore, getting credit for subjects already studied can change depending on what degree you were doing and at which university - for example, when you transfer you have to apply for credit for previous subjects studied (eg. for arts subjects apply for credit from arts faculty). But this all happens after you get accepted into the degree. They don't generally guarantee what subjects you will get credit for either. But there is room for negotiation.

In regards to transferring over graduate, i'm not sure that one is necessarily better than the other. I have a lot of friends who are doing graduate law at usyd - some in the LLB and some in the JD. Of course there are some differences between JD and LLB now - but not much. Its getting a HECS spot that is really the important thing - you don't want to be paying a huge amount ($20,000 a year or something) to do the JD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)