Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

kelboo

HSC
Pace Setter said:
Of course, there's absolutely no possibility that any of that scientific evidence is incorrect. And definitely no comparison between the testing methods of science in relation to religion. Not to mention the absurd idea of both practices (religion and science) basing a significant amount of "fact" on earlier assumptions. Clearly, one is a superstition and one is irrefutable fact based on grounds that have been proven beyond any trace of doubt to anyone willing to "see the truth."

The irony is extraordinary...

Ironically some of that makes sense! Sorry to quote you but you sound a tad intelligent.

I never said that the scientific method was irrefutable and one hundred per cent accurate all of the time. I choose to believe that it is, because it is the most believable and rational explanation that we have to explain nature and the processes of our environment. "Oh, but God willed it" Just doesn't quite cut it for me.

Truth is not what religious fanatics are after. They are after a justification for their torturous course of birth life and death, or are searching for a possible reason as to exactly why they exist. So be it.
As I stated, the human being's fatal flaw to believe the impossible is amazing, if not mildly amusing.
Believe in what you will, because obviously intelligent people cannot prevent that from happening.
I'll be in the corner laughing quietly to myself because I believe I know better.

Oh, the irony.

Kierkegaard

HSC
Kelboo chooses to define an infinite set of axioms and then builds from there. It's what we call, "dogma"-- at least, that's what we call it in our highly fallible system of linguistic communication.

"The other dogma is reductionism: the belief that each meaningful statement is equivalent to some logical construct upon terms which refer to immediate experience."
~Willard Van Orman Quine, from Two Dogmas of Empiricism

All logical constructs are unfounded, especially those claimed to be "scientific."

kelboo

HSC
Kierkegaard said:
Kelboo chooses to define an infinite set of axioms and then builds from there. It's what we call, "dogma"-- at least, that's what we call it in our highly fallible system of linguistic communication.

"The other dogma is reductionism: the belief that each meaningful statement is equivalent to some logical construct upon terms which refer to immediate experience."
~Willard Van Orman Quine, from Two Dogmas of Empiricism

All logical constructs are unfounded, especially those claimed to be "scientific."
Please read my post above, and try to interpret and comprehend what is written rather than define it.

Judging by your post, I believe you are familiar with "opinion". Take it for face value, and join in the argument. Put your books away, and tell me what you really think.

Kierkegaard, does God exist or not?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
kelboo said:
Oh, and let me quote my father (Who is both a never ending and inspirational source of information).

RELIGION IS ORGANISED SUPERSTITION. THE HUMAN RACE HAS THE UTIMATE FATAL FLAW TO BELIEVE UTTER IMPOSSIBLE BULLSHIT BECAUSE THEY FEEL THE NEED TO JUSTIFY THEIR EXISTENCE BECAUSE THE SCIENTIFIC (rational and sane) EXPLANATION IS TOO MUCH FOR THEM TO ADEQUATELY COMPREHEND.
god created science.

i think ur talking abt creationism and the bible or something.

this is not the only religion.

btw, some of the theories in quantum mechanics and astrophysics, the cutting edge of our scientific endeavours, seem to be " UTTER IMPOSSIBLE BULLSHIT" yet they support emperical evidence.

dont trust your senses, because there are things that exist that you cannot see.

Last edited:

Kierkegaard

HSC
You have given no reason to suggest that the existence of some supreme deity is an impossibility. I have replied to the posts before your last two, saying that any apparent 'logic' behind atheism is unfounded, only to find that you seem to have an aversion to providing this 'logic'.

As I stated, the human being's fatal flaw to believe the impossible is amazing, if not mildly amusing.
What impossibility do human beings believe in?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
feelin_good said:
but here's a little section from an e-mail i got from the actual atheist foundation of australia. Hope it helps ya'll out.

"No thinking person accepts the make-believe of the religious elements. Stars are far distant from earth and do not come close and hover over a particular spot. No god deposits sperm into the egg of a teenage girl. Angels do not sing in the sky and Father Christmas does not come down chimneys to provide gifts for children." ;)
santa was invented by coke.... :eek:

kelboo

HSC
dark_angel said:
god created science.

i think ur talking abt creationism and the bible or something.

this is not the only religion.

All religions attract fanaticism to the nth degree. I am actually talking about religion in general, and how the unbelievable can suddenly become the basis for life.

Complete shit, in my personal opinion. But as I said, believe what you need to in order to get out of bed every day. Unfortunately no one can stop you.

(I'm the one pointing and laughing) :D

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
kelboo said:
All religions attract fanaticism to the nth degree. I am actually talking about religion in general, and how the unbelievable can suddenly become the basis for life.

Complete shit, in my personal opinion. But as I said, believe what you need to in order to get out of bed every day. Unfortunately no one can stop you.

(I'm the one pointing and laughing) :D

u cant generalise religion, all u can do is generalise the belief in one god

kelboo

HSC
Kierkegaard said:
You have given no reason to suggest that the existence of some supreme deity is an impossibility. I have replied to the posts before your last two, saying that any apparent 'logic' behind atheism is unfounded, only to find that you seem to have an aversion to providing this 'logic'.

What impossibility do human beings believe in?

That something such as life after death, for example could exist. In this instance, once you die, you're dead. You decompose. End.
You couldn't POSSIBLY have a white wispy thing that floats up to a place in the sky called heaven where an almighty supreme ruler resides with all the other dead souls.
This, my friend, is therefore an impossibility.
Regarding souls, I guess I just don't have one. Oh well - my heart is still beating.

(Ahem all those who "believe" - before you refute something I say remember it is my opinion! That is the entire point of this thread and I am quite enjoying myself having this extended argument!)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
kelboo said:
That something such as life after death, for example could exist. In this instance, once you die, you're dead. You decompose. End.
You couldn't POSSIBLY have a white wispy thing that floats up to a place in the sky called heaven where an almighty supreme ruler resides with all the other dead souls.
Regarding souls, I guess I just don't have one. Oh well - my heart is still beating.

(Ahem all those who "believe" - before you refute something I say remember it is my opinion! That is the entire point of this thread and I am quite enjoying myself having this extended argument!)
prove it.

like u said, this is a thread abt our opinions, but u have to back them up, it says in the first post

kelboo

HSC
dark_angel said:
u cant generalise religion, all u can do is generalise the belief in one god

My two best friends are Indian - and they are Sikh and Hindu. I don't discriminate when it comes to things like this. Christianity is popular in Australian society, and the reason I am referring to this is because it is the overwhelming religion that the majority of religious people on BoS choose to follow.

I apologise if you hail from a different source of delirium but these same principles of opinion by which I live apply to you also.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
kelboo said:

this is called stating "without proof"

i can repeat this in exactly the same way:

"there is no god"

did you know that there is an aspect that we call "evidence" in our society that the doctrines of science and mathematics are fundamentally based on????

with your scientific rigour i would have expected a little bit more.

?????????????

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
kelboo said:
My two best friends are Indian - and they are Sikh and Hindu. I don't discriminate when it comes to things like this. Christianity is popular in Australian society, and the reason I am referring to this is because it is the overwhelming religion that the majority of religious people on BoS choose to follow.

I apologise if you hail from a different source of delirium but these same principles of opinion by which I live apply to you also.

are u implying that i'm an indian?

edit: howd u figure that out?!?!?!?

kelboo

HSC
dark_angel said:
this is called stating "without proof"

i can repeat this in exactly the same way:

"there is no god"

did you know that there is an aspect that we call "evidence" in our society that the doctrines of science and mathematics are fundamentally based on????

with your scientific rigour i would have expected a little bit more.

?????????????

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

"A Brief History of Time" : Pick a quote, any quote.

You have a respectable UAI... do you honestly accept the religious ideals?

kelboo

HSC
dark_angel said:
are u implying that i'm an indian?

No I am saying my criticisms are adaptable and non-discriminatory.
That was an example.
You could be Indian for all I know - the Internet is not the most visually interactive of mediums now is it?!

Edit: That edit was unnecessary

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
kelboo said:
"A Brief History of Time" : Pick a quote, any quote.

You have a respectable UAI... do you honestly accept the religious ideals?
ive read that book twice, its one of my favourites, what quotes do u want?

what are u talking about, my UAI sux, and yes i do beleive in god. my religion is not biased, it is the most logical and succinct aspect of my life.

which is quite difficult with some other religions.

my religion deals with aspects of science such as the big bang theory.

EDIT: oh yeah, ive read universe in a nutshell, also one of my fav books. :p :p

Last edited:

kelboo

HSC
dark_angel said:
ive read that book twice, its one of my favourites, what quotes do u want?

what are u talking about, my UAI sux, and yes i do beleive in god. my religion is not biased, it is the most logical and succinct aspect of my life.

which is quite difficult with some other religions.

my religion deals with aspects of science such as the big bang theory.

Science is the best way for me to understand my universe. I cannot accept things that do not have an explanation that can at least be expressed by something other than the phrase "God created ......".

I'm glad you find solace in your religion - keep your head up in that case, I won't be a part of it though. And please don't preach to me.

I'm going to rep you because although you have a better UAI than I got, you don't seem to realise that you are better than that. It is a rank, not a mark - I believe I deserved better than mine also.

So..... good luck with that.

Kierkegaard

HSC
Never heard of dualism, have we? Free-will in a deterministic world, ergo incorporeal self=soul. I can give you a nice logical proof for the existence of the soul, which you will gleefully reject on dubious and highly irrational grounds. Fair enough. Your opinion is your opinion.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
kelboo said:
Science is the best way for me to understand my universe. I cannot accept things that do not have an explanation that can at least be expressed by something other than the phrase "God created ......".

I'm glad you find solace in your religion - keep your head up in that case, I won't be a part of it though. And please don't preach to me.

I'm going to rep you because although you have a better UAI than I got, you don't seem to realise that you are better than that. It is a rank, not a mark - I believe I deserved better than mine also.

So..... good luck with that.
lol wats a rep?

sorry if i got carried away, i'm not supposed to get angry at ppl, or preach to them in any way...which is also a part of my religion....so yeah

i apologise if i have caused any inconvenience.

with that out of the way... let me just say that i still need to learn a lot more abt my religion (which is sikhism btw)

so i cant really say too much abt it myself, other than i beleive in god.

If you beleive in god, that is entirely your opinion, and i said that alot of times earlier in the thread.

i think i manages to prove that u cant say that god dosent exist, via epistemology and black holes............bah.

god created science "for me".

but it still puzzles me though how we cant figure out what happened before the big bang.

i also dont think we will ever find a TOE.

but thats just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)