Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

lengstar

HSC
Vladormarx said:
while ur alive that is
you haven't answered my question.
yes, we have plenty of meaning in life. what does it matter when we die?

asscookie

dork.
HSC
I live a couple of streets away from a huge Mormon church. It was only recently when I ventured past it that I realised where all the door-knockers had been coming from all these years.

lengstar

HSC
well asscookie you found the source of the pests. its now time to exterminate them before they destroy your spirituality much like termites detroy your walls

Pace Setter

Lengstar: Not sure. My whole argument was that without the existence of god, life only lasts 60-100 years (with exceptions) which to me makes it pointless given the obscurity and mystery of our existence once you fast forward the clock a couple of centuries...and considering the point I made about the suggestion that if there were no god, survival was the only thing I could think of that everyone is battling for at the root.

...Which is a bit contradictory as the whole point of survival and passing on genes has the same goal as having an afterlife and living forever. My original argument was WHY we would've wanted to survive anyway if there weren't a god.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Pace Setter said:
That’s an example of the type of question I was asking. This was the kind of answer I was expecting

Why do you enjoy living on the edge/adrenaline? Because, in the more primitive days, it helped you survive. A raised adrenaline directly results in the ability to raise your heart-rate. i.e you can run faster and have more strength-allowing you to get away from wild animals back in those days. The body makes you enjoy adrenaline because it increases your chance of survival. It’s also the case with many foods and drinks that taste good. Because of your body you enjoy foods that your body reckons has the best chance of keeping you alive-i.e keeping you starvation-free.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for all along, without the same conclusion of course. Looking at your above quote, I can to agree that I have a different view. However, whilst I'd say either one of us is definitely wrong, I'm willing to leave it there, or after your last post.

I just got cut off from BOS, so I reworded my original reply which is now in a much less thorough form, but still gets the main point through i think.

I can understand your point, but in my mind intentions are just as important as biological processes. An adrenalin rush may have helped us to survive and eating what tasted good may have been an important means of survival, but if you are seeking a 'rush' and eating/drinking something that is a known health hazard today then you are choosing to act rather than reacting to survive. As I said, in my mind living moves beyond surviving.

Edit: I can see a difference, and there is no need to establish/think that only one of us is 'definitely' correct, too.

Last edited:

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
im confusing u? dont be confused. im probably wrong, its not like im an academic or expert about god
forget wat i said

lengstar

HSC
Pace Setter said:
Lengstar: Not sure. My whole argument was that without the existence of god, life only lasts 60-100 years (with exceptions) which to me makes it pointless given the obscurity and mystery of our existence once you fast forward the clock a couple of centuries...and considering the point I made about the suggestion that if there were no god, survival was the only thing I could think of that everyone is battling for at the root.

...Which is a bit contradictory as the whole point of survival and passing on genes has the same goal as having an afterlife and living forever. My original argument was WHY we would've wanted to survive anyway if there weren't a god.
why do animals want to survive? its the same thing. the continuation of our species by whichever means neccessary.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Pace setters question is about where do thoughts come from, and besides me saying heriditary or from experiences or from information you have recieved during ur life i simply do not know...
But again, not knowing something doesn't mean u should just accept 'God must exist'. 1000 years ago a theist would say to an atheist "How does the sun appear then disappear?" the atheist would say "I don't know" so the theist would claim "HA! There is proof of gods existance!".

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
as i said, i dont know
its not like im an academic or expert on god
forget what i said

K

katie_tully

except 1000 years ago you had pagans, not athiests...and most people believed in a form of god.
they didnt question how the sun came up, because there was a god especially for the sun, apollo.
that said, depends whether we're arguing that the Christian god is the only god...and that all other religions are insignifant

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Pace setters question is about where do thoughts come from, and besides me saying heriditary or from experiences or from information you have recieved during ur life i simply do not know...
But again, not knowing something doesn't mean u should just accept 'God must exist'. 1000 years ago a theist would say to an atheist "How does the sun appear then disappear?" the atheist would say "I don't know" so the theist would claim "HA! There is proof of gods existance!".
good reasoning!!

lengstar

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
the reason how our species is apparently higher than any other is that we can 'imagine'. it is this 'imagination' that makes us better as we can 'imagine' consequences we can avoid bad ones and from memory learn to avoid others. that's what sets us apart from other animals. from this imagination we came upon reason. from reason we sort answers that are replaced by better answers. this is what the human mind is.

Pace Setter

lengstar said:
how does alcohol or drugs contribute to survival?
Depends what drug you're talking about-there are different reasons for different drugs.

Same goes for alcohol. A couple possibilities for alcohol-but of course, not all.

1. the whole mateship thing. Back when our instincts developed, our evolving mechanism aka brain or whatever it was found it much safer against the wild animals when there were a pack of humans together. I think perhaps it was also easier to hunt for food in a group.

2. Same reason as food.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm just giving a situation where an atheist confronting some random theist 1000 years ago that is kinda the same as the situation we are faced with now. I am being posed a question which i cannot give a definitive answer to, so of course that to a theist proves god must exist.

Yes we do have an imagination, which forms reasoning etc... but really an imagination is just our brain stringing different ideas together, making conclusions, theorising.

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
ur all aguing whether god exist or not?
but what would it mean to you if
god existed?
or if god didn't exist? (depending on the one u believe in or both)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)