• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*sigh*

Well that concluded that foray into this forum.

*leaves*

waterfowl

HSC
mayhemily said:
The thing is, in its beginnings, christianity was a crazy-ass cult that was barely tolerated. Who is really to say that christianity, and 'God' under its framework, is the true religion, compared to the ancient gods worshiped by the romans such as Isis and Apollo.
The people who didn't tolerate it were the Romans and the Jewish Priests, because they both saw it as a threat to their power and position.

All I have to say on the topic of gods such as Apollo and Isis, is that those gods are no longer around, and the empires that worshipped them have all fallen; yet the Jews (who may not be Christians but still worship God), and Christians also, have been attacked countless times throughout history, yet they still thrive. God has been worshipped since the same time as these aforementioned gods, yet those gods have obviously failed to protect their people.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Because christianity thrives off attacks, when people feel that their religion, their god is under attack they feel they must take up arms with their 'faith'.

I think you'll notice that these days in countries like america, where there is separation of church and state and constant battles, christianity is growing stronger.
However in england where christianity is their recognised church, has power over the people (legally) christianity is losing power... because there is no feeling of them being under attack.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
waterfowl said:
The people who didn't tolerate it were the Romans and the Jewish Priests, because they both saw it as a threat to their power and position.

All I have to say on the topic of gods such as Apollo and Isis, is that those gods are no longer around, and the empires that worshipped them have all fallen; yet the Jews (who may not be Christians but still worship God), and Christians also, have been attacked countless times throughout history, yet they still thrive. God has been worshipped since the same time as these aforementioned gods, yet those gods have obviously failed to protect their people.
You have to understand that there was a lot that took place to make such religions redundant, amongst which was the advent of science. Most of those gods you must remember, originated as a charter form, that is they were used to explain or justify a phenomenon within their lives and as such with science showing that it was in fact false the foundations crumbled.

Also the religions adhered and were connected to the respective empires, and the world was in a constant fight, one which involved conquering, assimilating or forcing upon others their rule and customs etc. What we have lately is a general time of 'peace' and definity through the individual.

Not-That-Bright said:
Because christianity thrives off attacks, when people feel that their religion, their god is under attack they feel they must take up arms with their 'faith'.

I think you'll notice that these days in countries like america, where there is separation of church and state and constant battles, christianity is growing stronger.
However in england where christianity is their recognised church, has power over the people (legally) christianity is losing power... because there is no feeling of them being under attack.
"when people feel that their religion, their god is under attack they feel they must take up arms with their 'faith'." Isn't that with ANY religion or belief? If it is worth investing faith into, would you not then logically try and defend such a belief?

America may say its not under religious state, but it is highly influenced by it, and has been for a while. 'In god we trust' etc, its all there. But as asqy stated, its a regression to the group mentality that is at hand rather than the State|Religion concept i think.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I was using england and america as examples of how religions thrive when they're under attack. I do think it goes for any religion or belief i was just trying to explain to waterfowl why christianity managed to survive throughout attacks...

K

katie_tully

I went to Catholic Mass yesterday.
Coz I can.
HOW FUNNY WAS IT!
I have lost all respect for people of the Catholic faith. It was like a heard of sheep, following mother ewe. It was ridiculous. I cannot believe supposedly intelligent people buy into that stuff.
By far, the funniest parts were when;
I was told I couldnt use holy water because I am not Catholic
When they ate that cardboard tasting bread, so that they could bring Jesus into their bodies.
When the father gave a speech, and I quote...
"Some people ask do we HAVE to go to mass? Well, the real question we should be asking is, DO we HAVE to eat? If we do not eat, our bodies will.. well.. not survive. The same can be said about mass. As Catholics we have an obligation to Christ to attend mass, if we don't, our souls ill not survive".

Quick, where is the sacrificial virgin.

superbird

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

I think you're associating Christianity with Islam

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
In free open societies that allow people to practice their beliefs (within limits) whatever they may be, religions are weakening....

In america they're having alot of religious debates, this is causing religion to gain more power, support.
In australia we are having a few, but not enough for any religions to gain much.

If anything you'll notice how much islam has been growing since 9/11 and the anti-islam sentiment that's around, it strengthens people's faiths.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
In free open societies that allow people to practice their beliefs (within limits) whatever they may be, religions are weakening....

In america they're having alot of religious debates, this is causing religion to gain more power, support.
In australia we are having a few, but not enough for any religions to gain much.

If anything you'll notice how much islam has been growing since 9/11 and the anti-islam sentiment that's around, it strengthens people's faiths.
i dont really think that has anything to do with the terrorists attacks and stuff......alot of non-believers and others often question their belief (or non belief) and so much media emphasis on islam has made ppl want to learn more abt this religion........especially those questioning their faith, existence etc..........plus islam has always been a growing religion.............i dunno, this is a matter of opinion........you see that ppl r being feared into religion.........i see that ppl are turning to religion. but i do agree with u on one thing.............all these attacks against islam and all the hatred directed at them does increase their faith

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes of course it's got to do with people wanting to learn, however once they do learn their faith is affirmed by the constant attacks against islam.

Of course people are being feared into religion, without religion people see life as bad, with it they see life as good.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes of course it's got to do with people wanting to learn, however once they do learn their faith is affirmed by the constant attacks against islam.

Of course people are being feared into religion, without religion people see life as bad, with it they see life as good.
not bad.............they find it meaningless. alot of athiests are great intelligent ppl. u dont need religion to teach u to be a good person. ppl turn to religion coz without it life is meaningless

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
What? If life is meaningless without religion, what meaning has religion given to your life ?
ill admit. this is a hard question to answer. ive been staring at my screen for awhile. well ok.........pre religion i questioned alot.....like wat is my purpose in life...wat am i doing here.........where am i going. these r questions athiesm cant really answer. chance events makes us, then we die then turn into decaying corpses and dissappear.....however i cant bring my self to believe that i was made from nothing, to do nothing and go nowhere. this life is so small and there must be a reason for my existence.........religion and btw not all religions, provide u with these answers..... like y ur here where ur going, the impact of ur actions.......thats how religion gives meaning to my life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)