Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Nahhhhhh......
I'm in a crisis situation right now, and it's only going to get worse, and I'm doing all the logical things, but they don't help you emotionally. I talk to friends, I talk to adults... and I'll pray. Those help emotionally. Of course, they don't always work like if I realize I'm talking to a total shithead, or I feel as though "God doesn't care/isn't answering etc. Sometimes. *shrugs* I still need all the help I can get, but the more the better. And "the better" is up to what I feel, same way as when I'm asking a person for advice: I can make a judgement on whether this guy is shit or not.

Reassuring myself is a necessity in times of crisis... for me anyway.
I think people make better blankets than gods

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
omfg.. i'm not going to bother to respond dougie, sorry man i don't want to get tooo deep...

That's cool ur_inner_child, i recognise that without a belief some people really do get hurt...
Trust me i went thru a time when i lost my belief... and i got really scared, worried, upset all the time, i know how good a belief can feel.... but i can tell you it's also very liberating when you can learn to make your logic help your emotions.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I think people make better blankets than gods
Cool! Each to their own.

For me, it's different levels. I talk to a friend - "what should i do...etc"
To God: "Please just make it okay"
Translation in Atheist ways: a form of optimism for what's to come.
I just find articulating these things comforting within itself.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
That's cool ur_inner_child, i recognise that without a belief some people really do get hurt...
Trust me i went thru a time when i lost my belief... and i got really scared, worried, upset all the time, i know how good a belief can feel.... but i can tell you it's also very liberating when you can learn to make your logic help your emotions.
I know :) It IS very liberating. The day I could understand the way religion is a construct, controls the masses etc, very liberating indeed!

For now, I see the value in having a spirituality in time of crisis, and it doesn't mean I shelve my belief in God.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Atheism is a curse anyway, not a choice. Knowing (or at least believing you know) that death is inevitable and supreme is not comforting.

On the plus side I enjoy the scientific part of atheism and the pure logicality.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
Sophie777 said:
Everything is somewhere... can you explain what you mean by that?
literally, everything is somewhere... anything could be anywhere.
you can be in 2 places at once, or more.
cartoon characters are real somewhere...
EVERYthing is SOMEwhere

oh and forget it not-that-bright, i can get looney, as u said many a post ago...
"each to their own" here, here

superbird

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
What an insightful, valuable statement that was
much like yours :)
neways im gonna use sophie's stupid excuse when she said "the bible is crap" that i have every right to say whether atheism is stupid or not, just like how many of u claim you have the right to say god is stupid.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
superbird said:
much like yours :)
neways im gonna use sophie's stupid excuse when she said "the bible is crap" that i have every right to say whether atheism is stupid or not, just like how many of u claim you have the right to say god is stupid.
Of course you have the right to make empty statements like "atheism is stupid"

But aside from some inadvertent self-deprecating irony, it's pretty useless.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
superbird, you're dumb..it's just that simple.
"or the stupidity of it"

Wow what's stupid, believing that ALL religions are wrong, or believing that your one religion is right, and a whole bunch of them that are pretty much the same are wrong... comming to this ascertion through pseudo logic and 'personal beliefs'.

superbird

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
superbird, you're dumb..it's just that simple.
"or the stupidity of it"

Wow what's stupid, believing that ALL religions are wrong, or believing that your one religion is right, and a whole bunch of them that are pretty much the same are wrong... comming to this ascertion through pseudo logic and 'personal beliefs'.
welcome back.
im sure if u took the time to look over ur own posts you will see that you're just a hypocrite

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
superbird said:
welcome back.
im sure if u took the time to look over ur own posts you will see that you're just a hypocrite
1. Again we see a lack of substance.

2. Even if he was a hypocrite (which he isn't), it does not defeat his argument.

Sophie777

Superbird you are a moron if you can't see the logic of my argument when compared with yours.

I say "The bible is crap"
You say "The bible is good."
Which one is more correct is subjective and you have hence no right to say this is 'stupid.' In fact, calling me stupid and repeating my small mention of this is just because you lack any substance to your argument. Wait... what is your argument?

rapier

Bone577 said:
On the plus side I enjoy the scientific part of atheism and the pure logicality.
I would be inclined to wonder where science and theology come into conflict with one another. Atheism is atheism, nothing else - neither science nor logicality are specific trademarks of the atheist belief. Granted, one who values such traits to the point of excess is more likely to be of an atheist mindset, but that is not to say that the focal question, "Is there a god?", can be neatly answered by the use of logic and science.
I'm not addressing the quote referenced above directly; rather, it stands as an interesting example of an ongoing trend throughout the thread.
The theory of evolution is correct.
The theory of evolution is false.
So?
Is there a god?

Neither outcome satisfies our initial problem. The placement of god in opposition to the big bang, in opposition to evolution and natural selection is a human construct that is only perpetuated by the insistence of all involved in the thread in citing sacred texts as proof of the existence or non-existence of a deity.

Outside of the box.

lengstar

HSC
superbird you really aren't helping your cause. if you were an example of a christian i'd denounce that faith immediately.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
rapier said:
I would be inclined to wonder where science and theology come into conflict with one another.
The Bible has a number of scientific inaccuracies, for example, 1 chron. 16:30 and Ps. 93:1 state that the Earth is immobile. Science might disagree! I suppose you are saying theology in general. Well it seems that as we light up more and more of the world with science, we no longer need explanations based on religion. In ages past we sought answers for mysteries we now comprehend. Science tends to illuminate these mysteries.

rapier said:
Neither outcome satisfies our initial problem. The placement of god in opposition to the big bang, in opposition to evolution and natural selection is a human construct that is only perpetuated by the insistence of all involved in the thread in citing sacred texts as proof of the existence or non-existence of a deity.
Again I think the point is that as science gives us more and more answers the world's religions look increasingly archaic and primitive. It may not prove the non-existence of God per se, but it may counter the foundations of particular religions' claims for the existence of God. Since the onus is on others to prove that God does indeed exist, refuting any justification for those claims (though there has been little) in such a way is quite reasonable.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
timrie6 said:
I don't believe in god, why have such blind faith?
Not believing in god doesn't put me at any disadvantage to anyone who does.
Agreed.
Not believing in God means you'll have to believe in yourself to get around life, which is more comforting than relying on the supernatural.

Praying to God and hoping that you pass your exams with flying colours isn't going to make you pass with flying colours- you have to believe you can pass with flying colours and take steps to ensure that, which means you'll have to stop praying and do some physical, tangible, study.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Can someone give me the link to the atheist and theist debate, at the islamic instution. I formated my computer and cant be bothered go through this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)