Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
tommykins said:
Done all that, no reply.

And I don't think I can lead to 'faith'.

It's like doing a maths question and having 'faith' and skipping 4-5 lines of working to arrive at an answer
Anyone care to answer.

HSC
tommykins said:
Anyone care to answer.
The whole point is that there is no lines of working between "Does a god exist?" and "Yes". Faith simply trusts that there is and goes straight to the answer.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
John Oliver said:
No, you see if you have multiple things, then you have multiple things.

If you have n possible solutions then your probability for those is 1/n which means they all have equal probability. It's a problem with your reasoning.
No, that is totally bogus reasoning. If I drop a tennis ball on my foot it will either break my foot or not break my foot, but these outcomes are not equally likely. You can only assign probabilities the way you describe if you first assume, or argue, that all outcomes are equally likely, for example in the classical probability problem of drawing balls out of an urn. A strong, positive argument is required before such reasoning can be applied to the outcomes 'god exists' and 'god does not exist'. I am yet to see such an argument.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Kwayera said:
You need to ask a question first; it's hard to answer a statement.
Nah it was a lead on to the whole 'seek and ye shall find'.

What if you have seeked and didn't find? Are we going to conclude that we're not trying 'hard' enough?

When IS it hard enough? What if you HAVE tried hard enough but no 'sign' of God 'replying' ?

veloc1ty said:
The whole point is that there is no lines of working between "Does a god exist?" and "Yes". Faith simply trusts that there is and goes straight to the answer.
If that's the answer I'm not willing to bet on 'yes' being correct.

HSC
N/A
aliwonga said:
I want to ask u a question then:

Do u believe in God? (just be honest~ it will actually get u to think more... :) ) ~ just a though ^^
Yes. But not in the stereotype that this society has become accustomed to.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
how much wood would a wood chuck chop if a wood chuck could chop wood?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Fail. It's

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

HSC
If a woodchuck could chuck wood, it would chuck as much wood as it could.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Josip Broz Tito said:
God does exist. What you have to question instead is: what is God?
Huh? Undercutting the argument much? What evidence can you provide to the former statement?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
a great deal of the arguments in these threads are mainly directed at trying to disprove the claims of theists. not much time is spent with the burden of proof on anyone else.

i don't know, it just seems to me that unless both sides of the argument are evaluated it will just finish in the stalemate that it always does. that being that christian arguments are countered with 'said who' and 'yeah well you can't prove that scientifically'.

i would like to hear from some non-theists of various kinds about what their reasonings are for their beliefs

nikolas

HSC
gibbo153 said:
a great deal of the arguments in these threads are mainly directed at trying to disprove the claims of theists. not much time is spent with the burden of proof on anyone else.

i don't know, it just seems to me that unless both sides of the argument are evaluated it will just finish in the stalemate that it always does. that being that christian arguments are countered with 'said who' and 'yeah well you can't prove that scientifically'.

i would like to hear from some non-theists of various kinds about what their reasonings are for their beliefs
You sir, are an idiot, you shame the good 09er name on these forums.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gibbo153 said:

Claim 1 -

God exists

Claim 2 -

The flying spaghetti monster exist

Claim 3 -

There is a teapot out in the galaxy somewhere

Difference between these 3 claims?

More or less nothing.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gibbo153 said:
i actually meant non tool answers
...Are you bloody serious?

Okay how about this -

The reason I don't believe in God is the same reason as to why I don't believe in fairies, pixies or Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.

7oas7y

HSC
hermand said:
also, isn't the bible not historically true? but supposedly 'spiritually' true?
ie what happened in the Bible didn't really happen, but people think it would be cool if it did.

7oas7y

HSC
Yeah but he can turn water into wine! If that's the case, surely he can turn water into Johnny Walker Green Label, right?

And he can turn bread into fish (I think). Assuming this is the case, he can turn bread into various other marine life.

Oh, and who can forget walking on water? Can you imagine how cool that would be? You could walk... ON WATER! Like wtf man?!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Well, I believe God exists. The thing I don't understand is why people have to ridicule Christianity. I mean, maybe if you had done research and constructively criticised it, sure. But it's just stupid when someone blatantly flamed Christianity.

Flaming time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)