Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
gibbo153 said:
but your argument is flawed unless you have some sort of ability to prove that god did not perform miracles. unless you can prove that, then they are not of equal validity in practical terms
Your argument is flawed for the same reason. You can't prove your God exists, let alone performed miracles.

It is impossible to prove a negative - you have the burden of proof. There is no way you can claim that your beliefs are more valid than anyone else's.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
By the way, can you provide reasons why it's flawed and not provide straw-men arguments? (ie. CS Lewis believes in God therefore it is true)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Good on him, I'm going to let someone dictate a belief for me ;)

Einstein believed in 'God' as in 'science', not the outright omnipotent/omniscient God that you claim exists.
quote]

well you seem to have done just that.
i do not suggest you accept god's existence because there are many who do. i only suggest that there may be an avenue of logic you are missing, and that if so many others have found it, maybe you should acknowledge that you may have missed something.

but by all means continue in your refusal to believe if thats what suits you. i only suggest you explore more of the implications of christianity before you deny it so quickly.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
By the way, can you provide reasons why it's flawed and not provide straw-men arguments? (ie. CS Lewis believes in God therefore it is true)
the only argument i need to use is the argument i am trying to avoid, because people like you hide behind their claim to intelligence and logic refusing to believe that their crystal clear perceptions could actually be incorrect. that is that is that you should have faith

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gibbo153 said:
well you seem to have done just that.
It is called irony good sir.

gibbo153 said:
i do not suggest you accept god's existence because there are many who do. i only suggest that there may be an avenue of logic you are missing, and that if so many others have found it, maybe you should acknowledge that you may have missed something.
Seems like your the one missing the logic good sir, every point and argument you've put forth have been rebutted - and all you can do is simply regurgitate the same repeated arguments again and again.

but by all means continue in your refusal to believe if thats what suits you. i only suggest you explore more of the implications of christianity before you deny it so quickly.
I won't succumb to Pascal's Wager. If you know what that is.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gibbo153 said:
the only argument i need to use is the argument i am trying to avoid, because people like you hide behind their claim to intelligence and logic refusing to believe that their crystal clear perceptions could actually be incorrect. that is that is that you should have faith
Haha. faith is not a rational/logical reason to believe in something.

I've debunked your 'faith' argument by saying I have 'faith in the flying spaghetti monster'.

What difference does this make to your faith in your God?

None.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
dont patronise me. of course i know of pascal's wager. [chritianity has positive and negative implications]

(from Mark 16)

14Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen. 15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

there. the good news is here for you. that jesus has died for you to save you from your sin. should only you accept it. just trying to get the news to you bud

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i'm actually in the library at school. and schools finised. so i'm leaving

HSC
N/A
gibbo153 said:
dont patronise me. of course i know of pascal's wager. [chritianity has positive and negative implications]

(from Mark 16)

14Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen. 15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

there. the good news is here for you. that jesus has died for you to save you from your sin. should only you accept it. just trying to get the news to you bud
fucking propaganda. this shit really disgusts me.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gibbo153 said:
Cool, then you'd know it's a fallacy and you shouldn't have stated it to begin with.

(from Mark 16)

Nothing but mindless babble.
Since you can't seem to put forth an argument, are you just going to cite passages within the bible until I'm convinced?

Won't work matey.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
what argument do you want. a lab test with a vial containing essence of god? come down of your high horse

tommykins said:
Nothing but mindless babble.
you seem to like this term. you never seem to back it up. just your opinion really

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gibbo153 said:
what argument do you want. a lab test with a vial containing essence of god? come down of your high horse
Any kind of measure that God exists is good enough with me.

You're the one on the high-horse for telling me that my mind is 'not open' and that I should 'look into the implications' of not believing in God.

If anything, you're giving off the aura of 'I'm better than you because I go to heaven you don't'.

you seem to like this term. you never seem to back it up. just your opinion really
Here's my backup - I care not for the Bible citations and your personal experiences, it has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

Also, what would your reaction be if I stated a script from the Koran? Yeah exactly.

Straw-man after straw-man, got anymore?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Yes, Gibbo, what is the proof that gives your position so much more "validity" than ours?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
sigh, you have misinterpreted me if you think i claim to be better than you. i don't suggest your mind is not open. you clearly have considered it to come to such conclusions. also i say that it is not some superior comprehension that allows me to have faith. god is the one that shows himself to us.

i say though, how does the bible have nothing to do with whether god exists?

in reference to the quran suggestion, Christian theism is only one of a number of competing conceptual systems and when faced with a choice among competing touchstone propositions of different world-views, we should choose the one that, when applied to the whole of reality, gives us the most coherent picture of the world.

also the bible's most important evidence of divine origin is fulfilled prophecy.
every one one of the scores of Old and New Testament predictive prophecies has been fulfilled to the letter, except for those relating to the second coming of christ, the final judgment, and eternity.

The fact of the fulfillment of those prior prophecies is conclusive proof that the remaining ones will come to pass. The Bible itself places great emphasis on predictive prophecy as proof of the integrity of the total system of things

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You're using the Bible as its own proof. That's like using a word in its own definiton. "A cake is a cake." "The Bible is true because it is the Bible."

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
why dont you ask him? im pretty sure he will be willing to tell you whether he exists or not

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gibbo153 said:
sigh, you have misinterpreted me if you think i claim to be better than you. i don't suggest your mind is not open. you clearly have considered it to come to such conclusions. also i say that it is not some superior comprehension that allows me to have faith. god is the one that shows himself to us.

i say though, how does the bible have nothing to do with whether god exists?
Why you cannot use a religious text to prove God’s existence

The claim here is that the religious text (Bible, Quran, etc) proves that God exists. This argument makes the fallacy of begging the question (or circular reasoning). When the argument is set out clearly this becomes obvious:

How do we know God exists?
God exists because the Bible says so.
Why should we believe the Bible?
Because the Bible is the word of God.
God exists because the Bible says so.
Why should we believe the Bible?
Because the Bible is the word of God.

(etc, ad infinitum.)

You cannot use the conclusion you are trying to prove (that God exists) as one of your premises. The premise “the Bible is the word of God” already assumes the truth of the conclusion.

in reference to the quran suggestion, Christian theism is only one of a number of competing conceptual systems and when faced with a choice among competing touchstone propositions of different world-views, we should choose the one that, when applied to the whole of reality, gives us the most coherent picture of the world.

also the bible's most important evidence of divine origin is fulfilled prophecy.
every one one of the scores of Old and New Testament predictive prophecies has been fulfilled to the letter, except for those relating to the second coming of christ, the final judgment, and eternity.

The fact of the fulfillment of those prior prophecies is conclusive proof that the remaining ones will come to pass. The Bible itself places great emphasis on predictive prophecy as proof of the integrity of the total system of things

• Rebuttal: My religious text is scientifically and historically accurate

Claim:

My religious text’s accuracy on various scientific and historical points shows its overall accuracy.

Response:

1. The accuracy of the text is not remarkable. All of its accurate points can be explained by simple observation of nature or by selective interpretation of scriptures.

2. Accuracy on individual points does not indicate overall accuracy. Just about every thesis that is wrong overall still has some accurate points in it.

3. Claims about accuracy assume that the purpose of the religious text is to document scientific data. There is not the slightest indication that the text was ever intended as a scientific textbook. It is intended to teach people about God; even those who claim scientific accuracy for it use it with that intent.

4. Specifically, the Bible is not entirely accurate. If its value is made to depend on scientific accuracy, it becomes valueless when people find errors in it, as some people invariably will.

5. If occasional scientific accuracy shows overall accuracy of the text, then the same conclusion must be granted to the Bible, Qur'an, Zend Avesta, and several other works from other religions, all of which can make the same claims to scientific accuracy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Rebuttal: Prophecies prove the accuracy of my religious text

Claim:

The religious text contains many prophecies that have accurately been fulfilled, proving it is a divine source.

Response:

1. There are several mundane ways in which a prediction of the future can be fulfilled:

* Retrodiction. The "prophecy" can be written or modified after the events fulfilling it have already occurred.
* Vagueness. The prophecy can be worded in such a way that people can interpret any outcome as a fulfillment. Nostradomus's prophecies are all of this type. Vagueness works particularly well when people are religiously motivated to believe the prophecies.
* Inevitability. The prophecy can predict something that is almost sure to happen, such as the collapse of a city. Since nothing lasts forever, the city is sure to fall someday. If it has not, it can be said that according to prophecy, it will.
* Denial. One can claim that the fulfilling events occurred even if they have not. Or, more commonly, one can forget that the prophecy was ever made.
* Self-fulfillment. A person can act deliberately to satisfy a known prophecy.

There are no prophecies in religious texts that cannot easily fit into one or more of those categories.

2. In biblical times, prophecies were not simply predictions. They were warnings of what could or would happen if things did not change. They were meant to influence people's behavior. If the people heeded the prophecy, the events would not come to pass. A fulfilled prophecy was a failed prophecy, because it meant people did not heed the warning.

3. Specifically, the Bible contains failed prophecies, in the sense that things God said would happen did not (Skeptic's Annotated Bible n.d.). For example:

* Joshua said that God would, without fail, drive out the Jebusites and Canaanites, among others (Josh. 3:9-10). But those tribes were not driven out (Josh. 15:63, 17:12-13).
* Isaiah 17:1-3 says that Damascus will cease to be a city and be deserted forever, yet it is inhabited still.
* Ezekiel said Egypt would be made an uninhabited wasteland for forty years (29:10-14), and Nebuchadrezzar would plunder it (29:19-20). Neither happened.

4. Other religions claim many fulfilled prophecies, too.

5. For Christians, divinity is not shown by miracles. The Bible itself says true prophecies may come elsewhere than from God (Deut. 13:1-3), as may other miracles (Exod. 7:22, Matt. 4:8).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
No i'm placing it out because your argument has been brought up AGAIN and AGAIN and most, if not ALL of it has been answered in the OP.

Lol @ mathematics being christian theistic.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
so pointless extending this, if people want to argue about this, read all the responses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)