• Total voters
HSC
Someone should start a poll:
ppl who believe in god...
ppl who are atheist...

i would.....but i dunno how to start one-_-

K

katie_tully

Or how about we dont start a poll, I don't think anybody cares who are what. It's fairly obvious from the postings.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Or how about we dont start a poll, I don't think anybody cares who are what. It's fairly obvious from the postings.
what am i??? i actually hav no idea myself

oh and if god does exist do u reckon he looks like morgan freeman lol

K

katie_tully

Well a poll wouldnt be very bloody handy in your case either, would it.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Gotta love religious internet debates. Always turns into an entertainig flame fest.

robbie1

HSC
sthcross.dude said:
spot on katie. christians seem to believe they have a monopoly on moral values. as ur other thread about pedophiles in the church highlights, this is a complete myth.
where can i find this thread?

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Guys, no one else believed murder was bad before Jesus came around ok.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Why does this thread still exist? Neither side can prove their claims. There is uncertaintly. This is the nature of the world.
Lock thread.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Iron said:
Why does this thread still exist? Neither side can prove their claims. There is uncertaintly. This is the nature of the world.
Lock thread.
Only one side should have to prove their claims.

K

katie_tully

Lock thread
Silence heretic. It keeps the debate confined to one space so that a religious brawl doesn't break out anywhere else.

Mr Gumby

HSC
To all who believe there is a God, let me ask you a simple question:
Do you believe in unicorns? Do you believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy? Do you believe there is a tiny teapot orbiting the earth as we speak?

I'm assuming that most people on this forum have an IQ higher than their last test score, so I'm also going to assume that the answer to all of these questions is no. How do we know that none of these propositions are true, though? There is no conclusive way of proving that unicorns do not exist, because there is always the possibility that they might one day be discovered in the forests of Borneo. Because of this, we all have to be agnostics when it comes to unicorns, strictly speaking. This does not mean, however, that the average, reasonable person believes that the probability of unicorns existing is exactly the same as the probability of their not existing. Most people live their lives as though unicorns did not exist, and then wait to be proven wrong.

This principle is applicable to God. As things currently stand, there is no empirical reason for believing that there might be a creator deity up there somewhere, influencing our daily lives. This is not to say that God does not exist. One day, the Hubble Telescope just may take a photograph of God, floating around in the intermundia. If that happened then I, as an atheist, would be prepared to change my position. So, I suppose I would technically be described as an agnostic. However, because I am also a rational, reasonable person, I choose not to believe in anything for which there is no evidence. There is no evidence for God, and until anyone proves otherwise, I see no reason for believing in Him.

The atheist v. theist argument should be as simple as that.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Mr Gumby said:
There is no evidence for God, and until anyone proves otherwise, I see no reason for believing in Him.
This common argument dismisses the fact that there is also no evidence to believe in atheism. Not believing is the easy way out, but it's equally as illogical.
Both sides have formidable arguments, but no evidence. Scientific advances have been able to disprove certain religious dogma, and that satisfies a lot of people that God doesn't exist, but that doesnt disprove intelligent design.
It will always be a question of faith

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
This common argument dismisses the fact that there is also no evidence to believe in atheism. Not believing is the easy way out, but it's equally as illogical.
And when you conduct a test to determine if you're carrying the HIV virus and it does not find the HIV virus this does not mean you don't have HIV... we can extend this all the way out to crazy scenario's that I would rather not get into as I think the spectacle of such ridiculous claims often takes away from the argument.

Both positions are equally illogical when taken on their own, however I would put it to you that as a commonly held axiom will be that logic must be consistent - By showing contradictions between their logic in believing in God and their logic in not believing in other supernatural entities, in accepting the non-existance of HIV when a test determines so (i'd go as far as to even use these contradictions to challenge agnostics) shows that they are on the whole far more illogical.

It is my position that God's non-existance is established at least as well as most other truths we accept in our everyday lives.

- Chadd / Not-That-Bright

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
This isnt airy fairy stuff though. It's probably the ultimate question; 'what is the purpose of life', rather than 'do unicorns exist'. Logically, all questions lead to this. What is the purpose of a light bulb? to light a dark room. How does the bulk work? electricity. Where does that come from? power plant. How does that work? coal. Where's coal from? Earth. Where's earth from? big bang, probably. Where did that come from?

You eventually get to a point which requires answering the unanswerable. This whole debate is just a distraction from the fundamental uncertainty which underlines life the universe and everything. This should lead to constructive questions on how best to lead life, developing universal moral codes etc. But arrogantly claiming that God doesn't exist is really a shield to justify any selfish act we do in this corrupt and decadent age. It's nothing less than surrendering to barbarism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)