Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

robo-andie

HSC
Davin, Ur_inner_child
Thanks. :)

(Edit: removed quoting davin to include ur_inner_child)

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
well the bananna thing is definately ridiculous...

a) he says it's curved towards the face... but WAIT A MINUTE! What if you TURN IT AROUND?!

b) he says it is smooth for ease of entry into the human mouth... but can anyone think of other places that it would provide ease of entry?

c) as you point out, humans messed with them to make them that way...

d) the guy's a tool.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
robo-andie that's exactly the way a feel about religion. the fact that you understand how religion may have been conceived i give you my utmost respect regardless of your whether you are or are not religious. if only more people saw it the way you did the world would be a more understanding place.

pkc

HSC
N/A
"I'm an atheist and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for other people."

[Katharine Hepburn]

davin

HSC
N/A
pkc, as an honest question, what effect do you see those quotes as having on the debate?
and still awaiting your sourcing on the magellan quote

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
Well, i do believe in god in a fundamentalist manner but not the god thats is made out within the rigidity of roman catholicsm, islam, etc. The essential message of god (imo equality, compassion to each other, etc), i feel has been corrupted/exploited by certain people over time, eg: roman catholicism in the middle ages-people paying the church to 'forgive' their sins, starting wars/mass slaughter justified by god- (jihad, crusades, etc), misogny, homopobia, etc.

edit- i can't remember where i read this but this is kinda wat i mean:
who is better off, a 'christian' who is self-righteous, cold, and obnoxious , or an atheist who is kind, compassionate and caring to others?

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
edit- i can't remember where i read this but this is kinda wat i mean:
who is better off, a 'christian' who is self-righteous, cold, and obnoxious , or an atheist who is kind, compassionate and caring to others?
Playing devil's advocate (LOL), but one could perhaps argue that the former is not a real christian?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Personally, I don't believe that many people actually believe in God... I think they confess they do, and they REALLY want to, they really want to have that faith - but they don't actually believe.

The people whom REALLY believe in God, are willing to die because they think God told them to, they're willing to sell all their possessions because they believe it's the will of God... they're not people like 99% of all muslims/jews/christians that act basically in the same manner as me.

If I REALLY believed there was this big, all powerful god, ready to smite me if I piss him off.... you can bet I'd be at church EARLY every sunday.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
For me, God makes little impact on my existence. It doesn't matter if he DID exist I doubt it'll change much of who I fundamentally am.

How do you know that God is compassionate? What if he was that jealous smiting God in the Old Testament and all those holy warriors that do his bidding go to heaven? You don't know, but you WANT to believe he is compassionate and kind and all powerful.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
hi Korean girl!
no one's going to flame you for believing in God. just your REASONS for being in God.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
ai-sh....

let's keep my nationality a secret... to the few who don't know yet.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't really think you do believe in God - if you REALLY believe in God I think you'd live your life alot different.
Like give all my money to poor people and then run off to a third-world country to volunteer in a non-profit organisation?

I believe God exists, and I'm 'on his side'. But my faith's not as strong as it can be, and I'm certainly not denying that.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No see... I don't think you really DO believe he exists. Because if you really did, you WOULD give all your money to poor people and then run off to a third-world country to volunteer.

Why do you defy god if you believe in him, and you believe that by defying him you're going to be punished?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
No see... I don't think you really DO believe he exists. Because if you really did, you WOULD give all your money to poor people and then run off to a third-world country to volunteer.

Why do you defy god if you believe in him, and you believe that by defying him you're going to be punished?
k. I'll do it tomorrow.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I went to this Chinese Christian Fellowship thing at USyd to check it out since a friend's a Christian. beside the fact that I didn't understand what they were saying I read the passage they were reading from a Chinese/English Bible and what struck me as complete hypocrisy is that passage was from Psalms saying you shouldn't be dressing so expensively and I was surrounded but a few Honkies and well, they are 'fashionable'. That's just one example.

lol Chad. you're so patronising. :D

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
No I'm serious, you don't believe in God. You just REALLY badly want to, and think it's a good thing to do, but you actually... dont.
k. I'll bite.

I'm not ready spiritually and emotionally. Also, parents will kill me if I leave Commerce degree. :(

And, as an atheist, shouldn't you be out there 'enjoying life' while you still can instead of debating the merits of something that you (yourself) already think doesn't exist?

Or are you trying to convince yourself it doesn't because you are actually afraid that it might be true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)