Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
That is to say, even though I don't know for 100% certain that God exists, the same applies to you.

Or you wouldn't be here, discussing it. :)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
you don't understand how much fun it is to debate and discuss things like this do you Christian girl? nah didn't think so :p just cause we're here doesn't mean that we don't like to know other people's opinions on the existence of God whereas Christians DEFINATELY believe. we are open to ideas that you are not.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm not ready spiritually and emotionally. Also, parents will kill me if I leave Commerce degree.
I don't buy it, you don't really believe in it. If you did, your commerce degree would mean little to you, you'd also be trying to convince your parents of the importance of doing god's work.

And, as an atheist, shouldn't you be out there 'enjoying life' while you still can instead of debating the merits of something that you (yourself) already think doesn't exist?
I am enjoying life, what makes you think I'm not?

Or are you trying to convince yourself it doesn't because you are actually afraid that it might be true?
Why would I be afraid of it being true... and If I thought it true, why would I not be trying to appease the God I truly believe in? It's illogical.

That is to say, even though I don't know for 100% certain that God exists, the same applies to you.
I am as sure that there is no God as I am that there is no cow orbitting the moon..
i.e. I'm as sure of it as I need to be for it to matter, for me, the non-existance of God is a reality. For you, the existance of God is not a reality... or your actions would be different.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
transcendent said:
you don't understand how much fun it is to debate and discuss things like this do you Christian girl? nah didn't think so :p just cause we're here doesn't mean that we don't like to know other people's opinions on the existence of God whereas Christians DEFINATELY believe. we are open to ideas that you are not.
Oh, so this is all just amusement and I've been lured into some kind of religious-bashing in-joke as an object of amusement, then. I made the mistake that this was serious.

k cool.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
lol maybe. i kinda want confirmation that most Christians, or even any religion, fit a stereotype.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
what971 said:
I believe in God.

*prepares to be flamed*
Hey what971

Why is it that everyone from country *X* seems to be Christian? Is there a historical reason for this?

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
@transcendant
sometimes i feel people in 'christian' fellowships convert initially for anything other than personal conviction, eg:trendiness, coercion, etc.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
it's a noticable trend yes for countries like Korea, and Phillipines and also the region of Hong Kong. at least with Phillipines i know it's due in part to the Spanish heritage and Hong Kong from British heritage but i'm not sure about Korea. maybe just a western trend since Korea is highly connected online and possibly adopted Christian as i don't know of any other religions from Korea.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
transcendent said:
lol maybe. i kinda want confirmation that most Christians, or even any religion, fit a stereotype.
Haha that makes no sense at all. But ok, here it is:

Most Christians or even any religion, fit into a stereotype.

There!

My point?
Who are you looking for confirmation from? The people that you are stereotyping, or the people that hold the same views as you? If its the latter, then why bother even directing it towards others that hold different views.

And NTB........your an idiot.

I see where your going with that whole thing. Almost everything you post has direct quotes from somebody (that you dont know from a bar of soap), with you beating up on them like you can read them back to front. I dont get the angle your coming from. 10,000 posts in ur custom? Cmon buddy, give it a rest.

Pessimist.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
And NTB........your an idiot.
K? (resist temptation to point out common english error)

I see where your going with that whole thing. Almost everything you post has direct quotes from somebody (that you dont know from a bar of soap), with you beating up on them like you can read them back to front. I dont get the angle your coming from. 10,000 posts in ur custom? Cmon buddy, give it a rest.
Where am I going, blue_chameleon? I don't pretend to know the person I am addressing back to front, I just know that they're a christian and in general most christians in Australia I don't think really believe in God. What971 pretty much confirmed my suspicions that she was much like most christians, so I explained to her why I believe she doesn't believe in God. The angle I'm comming from is that IMO there are very few people out there in the world, whom truly accept the existance of God in their everyday life as fact - as evidence I point out that they don't act the way you would expect them to act.

As for my custom status, I actually made that in a moment of personal reflection - not as a boast.

Pessimist.
How so?

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I think NTB is right in the sense that, of the 2 billion or so people considered to be Christian in the world, (maybe some Muslims and Hindus too), most were just born to parents of that religion and don't actually believe in it.

This agrees with the fact that > 90% of Americans are Christians and clearly most of them aren't of the devout or practising kind. Also the threads in NS and Hobbies/Interests forums that ask everyone what religion they are, are full of posts like "I was born <denomination>, but..." so you're right in general.

However it's wrong to say that those who are actually comitted to their religious practise, whatever it might be, don't actually believe in it, just because they don't die for it. Why would someone living in a peaceful country need to do that?

robo-andie

HSC
If someone believes in God, that shouldn't dictate their actions. However if someone was to claim they are a devout Christian and "they don't act the way you would expect them to act" then there is a problem. This is what I think you're trying to say.

Claiming you are Christian should only be done when you are completely ready to accept the proposed Christian way of life. That is something along the lines of - going beyond the norm to allow everyone a chance at happiness. You show an absolute devotion to God and what he supposedly stands for (as told by the Church).
A simple belief in God(s) however relies more upon the individuals interpretation of what God stands for.

Not-That-Bright said:
I don't really think you do believe in God - if you REALLY believe in God I think you'd live your life alot different.
IMO this doesn't apply to What971. Unless she had stated her Religion.

Now in regards to this:

Not-That-Bright said:
K? (resist temptation to point out common english error)
I wouldn't have mentioned blue_chameleon's mistake. You aren't perfect yourself.

Not-That-Bright said:
....you'd live your life alot different....
If you can't remember the rule, just remind yourself that just as you wouldn't write "alittle" you shouldn't write "alot".

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If someone believes in God, that shouldn't dictate their actions.
I don't think it's a good thing if it dictates their actions, however I think if you did believe in God then it would at least majorly change the way you act. Who wouldn't go to church on sunday if they really believed that an all-powerful being was poised to smite them for it?

However if someone was to claim they are a devout Christian and "they don't act the way you would expect them to act" then there is a problem. This is what I think you're trying to say.
Well no, I was speaking about God in General. I know that it's possible to have a non-inteventionist belief in God, but I don't think there's that many people out there with such a belief.

IMO this doesn't apply to What971. Unless she had stated her Religion.
She has in another thread. But she didn't really need to tell me the specific religion, she said 'what so I should sell up my things and move to a 3rd world country to help them?', so I knew immediately that's something that she at least thinks, in her religion, is what her God wants - and she's disobeying him.

I wouldn't have mentioned blue_chameleon's mistake. You aren't perfect yourself.
I am aware that I am not perfect, but lets think about it. Blue_Chameleon just called me an idiot, now since he/she is not perfect, shouldn't he/she not call me an idiot?

The intellectual chest huffing was started by he. If someone claims you're an idiot I believe it's fair to point out their own faults and in doing so you are not claiming you are any better than them, just trying to get them off their high-horse.

However it's wrong to say that those who are actually comitted to their religious practise, whatever it might be, don't actually believe in it, just because they don't die for it. Why would someone living in a peaceful country need to do that?
I'm not saying they have to die for it. I'm just saying if I believed in the Christian God, if I accepted that as fact, I would make sure I go to church on sunday. If someone said they think their house is haunted by an evil ghost, then when you go over to their house for dinner they don't seem bothered at all, would you think they really believe their house is haunted by an evil ghost?

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
(resist temptation to point out common english error)
...yeah, what andie said.

Not-That-Bright said:
...in general most christians in Australia I don't think really believe in God. What971 pretty much confirmed my suspicions that she was much like most christians, so I explained to her why I believe she doesn't believe in God...
So basically, you'RE generalising the majority of all Christians, based on your knowledge of.....well, a small minority in regards to the whole Christian population. I dont really see any fairness (to say the least) in that.

Not-That-Bright said:
The angle I'm comming from is that IMO there are very few people out there in the world, whom truly accept the existance of God in their everyday life as fact - as evidence I point out that they don't act the way you would expect them to act.
A very bold statement to include such a large amount of people, thats for sure.
Many of whom you will never meet or hear about.

Like so many others in the world dont live up to certain expectations that others might place upon them, just because Christians live their life based on teachings and morals drawn from the Bible, doesnt mean that they arent still human beings.
Realising that Christianity, as im sure with an array of other religions, is not simply an event, rather it is a journey, how might you expect Australian Christians to act?
If you are looking for a squeaky clean Christian, you will never find one. EVERYONE has their faults.

Not-That-Bright said:
As for my custom status, I actually made that in a moment of personal reflection - not as a boast.
Its just there to remind you ey? Cool. Thats quite an achievement for an internet forum which is still quite young.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
...yeah, what andie said.
....yeah, what I said in response.

I am aware that I am not perfect, but lets think about it. Blue_Chameleon just called me an idiot, now since he/she is not perfect, shouldn't he/she not call me an idiot?

The intellectual chest huffing was started by he. If someone claims you're an idiot I believe it's fair to point out their own faults and in doing so you are not claiming you are any better than them, just trying to get them off their high-horse.
So basically, you'RE generalising the majority of all Christians, based on your knowledge of.....well, a small minority in regards to the whole Christian population. I dont really see any fairness (to say the least) in that. You certainly know how to put words into the horses mouth.
If that's how you want to see it, but if the majority of christians really did believe in God I think it would be enough people for me to notice. Who knows tho, maybe I'm just clueless and living in a hole - but I'm basing my claim off the best knowledge I have, what can I do beyond that?

A very bold statement to include such a large amount of people, thats for sure. Many of whom you will never meet or hear about.
See point above.

Like so many others in the world dont live up to certain expectations that others might place upon them, just because Christians live their life based on teachings and morals drawn from the Bible, doesnt mean that they arent still human beings.
I know that for instance, people won't excercise enough even tho they know it's good for them etc etc.

However, with the case of believing there is an omnipotent being whom might be getting angry with you, eternal damnation etc etc I think that's enough for it to at least (if you really did believe it) be the most important thing in your life - and while of course I'm not saying christians could possibly reach the mark of 'perfect christian' they would at least be trying much more than they are now.

I can understand what you are saying, but its kind of the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you're basing your judgement off. Realising that Christianity, as im sure with an array of other religions, is not simply an event, rather it is a journey, how might you expect Australian Christians to act?
I don't know what you mean by this? I don't think Christianity is an event or a journey.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
If that's how you want to see it, but if the majority of christians really did believe in God I think it would be enough people for me to notice. Who knows tho, maybe I'm just clueless and living in a hole - but I'm basing my claim off the best knowledge I have, what can I do beyond that?
IMO, you could be less hastily in forming blanket opinions based on only your knowledge. Beyond basing claims off your own knowledge, the obvious remedy would be to seek further opinion before making these claims, thus gaining a wider held and less biased opinion. At the moment, you only know what you know.

Not-That-Bright said:
...believing there is an omnipotent being whom might be getting angry with you, eternal damnation etc etc I think that's enough for it to at least (if you really did believe it) be the most important thing in your life...
Angry? Old Testament hey.

Not-That-Bright said:
...they [christians] would at least be trying much more than they are now...
Once again, thats a generalisation. One bad apple, throw the whole batch out, right? How do you know that christians arent "trying" to lead a better life?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
IMO, you could be less hastily in forming blanket opinions based on only your knowledge. Beyond basing claims off your own knowledge, the obvious remedy would be to seek further opinion before making these claims, thus gaining a wider held and less biased opinion. At the moment, you only know what you know.
I can only ever know what I know. I am not closed to the opinions of others either, there just comes a point where you have to voice your opinion instead of waiting to collate all the possible information in the universe.

Once again, thats a generalisation. One bad apple, throw the whole batch out, right? How do you know that christians arent "trying" to lead a better life?
Not "trying to lead a better life", trying to live the life they believe their God compels them too. I don't KNOW that they aren't, I just think the world would be a much different place if they were and base it off of that. I am not claiming that christians are 'bad people' or that they're not trying to be 'good people', I'm just saying by looking at the world as far as I can, that It doesn't seem that they really are trying their hardest to do what their god compells them to - so maybe they don't REALLY believe?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)