Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

pkc

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Yet at the same time a quote without elaboration is of no use within an academic context.

If you are going to continue to post quotes without interpretation, please do not insult those who question your intentions.
Don't be so lazy, interpret 2 lines for yourself.

Generator

HSC
N/A
pkc said:
Ah, I'm afraid that you're the lazy one - you're the one providing the quote, so it is up to you to provide an interpretation.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
pkc said:
Well it's not just a matter of interpretation. A quote is useful as an aid or punch to a longer comment. By itself, it may serve to point out an issue but it doesn't deal with it in much detail. Plainly put, it doesn't do an argument justice to simply throw little quotes around.

garbagedump

HSC
N/A
is it the requirement of mods to sound so posh?
that being said; pkc, when you say "wanker," who are you quoting?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
garbagedump said:
is it the requirement of mods to sound so posh?
I've heard posher.

And otherwise, I find credible, reliable, (sexy), and clear to be more accurate. :)

garbagedump

HSC
N/A
I have reason to believe that the use of such language is associated with the dark side. That is why i objected to its use initially.

HSC
No seriously pkc your incessant quoting is getting ridiculous. Im glad you know a lot of other people's opinions on the matter of religion but in an academic discussion other people's opinions do nothing to further the argument.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
genavania said:
but the thing is. christians dont usually murder. like a person living their life 4 jesus doeesnt do it.
many people who were murderers have repented and become christians for numerous reasons and sometimes christians drift away and make mistakes.
what dr doom is trying to say i think that once you giv ur life to God he will keep on forgiving if you keep on loving. no matter what you have done
Please dig up some stats to back up your statements.

davin

HSC
N/A
in this case, i mean, i suppose theres no reason not to trust him...i mean, Christians don't lie, right?

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Awesome, so we should just... take some random's word for it - right?
No of course not, all im saying is that there is going to be little or no statistical data to support a connection between religion and murder.

davin

HSC
N/A
i'm going to go out on a limb and say that thats maybe reason enough to not say things one can't back up, then

G

genavania

Not-That-Bright said:
Awesome, so we should just... take some random's word for it - right?
well you expect us to take your word for it when you say God doesnt exist.

ive been trying to find statistics on murder rates and religion but am having no luck. when i said it i had no proof but i bet im right.
however i have found many papers on religion teaching in schools and other places like that and how good it is in creating a good atmosphere in schools and i totally agree. basically the loving morals of Jesus are what many governments have based their laws on. eg do not murder, steal cheat etc
not saying these are just christian morals but when church and state were very close these rules formed the constitution.
basically, if everyone lived according to Jesus commandment love ur neighbor then the world would be so much better. problem is its soo not possible

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
why are there so many religions but not one? think carefully about what the answer might be.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sparkl3z said:
why are there so many religions but not one? think carefully about what the answer might be.

you're not usually on the same side as me.

or have i misinterpreted your post?

genavania said:
basically, if everyone lived according to Jesus commandment love ur neighbor then the world would be so much better. problem is its soo not possible
I don't know how you have the confidence to say that christianity would make the world better. I really don't know. Even if I believed in Jesus wholeheartedly, in which I once did, I would not get up the courage to say such a thing, because the world could not follow it the same way as everyone else does. It will STILL remain as it is.

Christianity is not consistant thought among those who follow it. Christianity today meant something else in history. Why does it transform?

The violence in which you know in the history, involving christianity, were closer to the literal interpretation of Christianity than it is today. Today we are meant to read the bible and understand certain things metaphorically, and some literally. This selective reading is severely dangerous. You may not feel that a slight difference of intepretation makes a difference, but let me rattle of the issues that even christians find themselves in opposition:

stem cell research (and other research)
abortion
euthanasia
evolution
homosexuality
parenting
marriage/divorce
womens rights
perceptions of non-christians

ie: morality

So hypothetically, if for some miraculous reason, Christianity was enforced, and truly taken on board, and there was no such thing as a non-christian, such issues will still stand. To one christian killing is evil. Straight out. But another Christian may feel it is okay in self defence. Or its okay if you are defending your country.

Do you see how fantastical your point is, when you say Christianity would make the society a better place? Murderers etc come on. A bit simplistic, don't you think?

If I had a religion and really believed in it, I would leave it as a personal thing that betters myself and how I treat others. The world and its issues are much more delicate that you think and I would not be ready to say what is right for the world. Again, I don't honestly know how you can, without much thought put into it.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
well you expect us to take your word for it when you say God doesnt exist.
Err... no I don't, this is just a lie, unless you've gotten confused or something?

ive been trying to find statistics on murder rates and religion but am having no luck. when i said it i had no proof but i bet im right.
Well you do realise it's not very uhhh academic, to look up statistics for something you've already decided the answer of - right?

however i have found many papers on religion teaching in schools and other places like that and how good it is in creating a good atmosphere in schools and i totally agree.
Erm... erm... what? :/

basically the loving morals of Jesus are what many governments have based their laws on. eg do not murder, steal cheat etc
not saying these are just christian morals but when church and state were very close these rules formed the constitution.
These are basically human morals... hows bout all the other restrictions the bible places on people?

Yea of course it's not possible... I don't see the point in even saying it. It's like saying 'if everyone was happy then the world would be better' - that's awesome but who cares?

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Everyone is different. As a christian, yes, my faith drives my life, but there are others who do not beleive that there is a god due to a lack of physical proof to register in their minds, and we all respect that.

(The thing that really annoys me in Christians is that they call themselves christians/catholic etc but don't act like one)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)