• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

IamBread

HSC
If you believe, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, yet if you don't, you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
No, no you don't. That is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard. I am not going to believe in something that doesn't exist just because I'll have "nothing to lose".

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
don't believe than, I am merely pointing out the indisputable facts

Garygaz

HSC
nope you're wrong. the pascal wager is fucking retarded because it doesn't take into account that there is and has been thousands if not millions of different kinds of diety worship. so you have to believe and then also have to have that incredibly small chance of picking the right religion.

not to mention by following the doctrines of a religion you inhibit your ability to enjoy life

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
That:If you believe, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, yet if you don't, you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Thats when you systematically decide which one is most likely to be correct.
On the note of inhibiting your ability to enjoy life, the loss relative to the potential gain is miniscule, hence the term nothing to lose.

Garygaz

HSC
bro, there's a reason why no modern day christian apologetics use pascals wager. it's horribly skewed and you also are completely forgetting the fact that you just can't FORCE yourself to believe and even if you pretend you do, this so called god would most likely know you were faking it.

ugh, bro actually read up on how ancient that argument is.

Garygaz

HSC
is that some poor attempt at a straw man argument

or are you trolling

please be the latter

IamBread

HSC
That:If you believe, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, yet if you don't, you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
That is NOT a fact, it is the most stupidest idea supporting the idea of God. That provides no evidence at all that he exists and should not be a reason for someone to believe. If this is you're opinion, and you believe in God for this reason, then you are obviously closed minded and you should believe in anything because believing in unicorns or fairies has nothing to lose so therefore you should believe in them too.

If you believe in God, it means you have to substitute something away. This God must have done something, otherwise he isn't God. There are 1000's of different God's to believe in so why would you believe in one over another? In the Christian faith, if you believe that Jesus is the son of God and accepting him as your saviour etc etc, then you go to heaven. Though in the Muslim faith if you believe that Jesus is the son of God you go to hell. Guess that means you are going either way now doesn't it, and with believing in God has just as much potential for loss as not believing.
And God generally goes hand in hand with an afterlife. So if you believe in an afterlife you know, or think, that you are going to live forever in a beautiful place of peace and happiness. This basically makes your life on Earth pointless, so why would there be much of a use caring about it. While someone who doesn't believe know's that this is their one chance, their one life. They have a limited time before going back to nothing and they will make the most of it.

Now if you believe in something like the God of Spinoza, then this doesn't really hold true. If you are under the impression that God created the universe with beauty and simplicity then you will be not so willing to accept things that go against this view. A famous example of this would be with Einstein and he's opinion on Quantum mechanics. He could not accept it because of the randomness and the probability, "I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice."
As physics and cosmology dwell further into the depths of the universe and closer to how it all began, you will be convinced it is all not true because it goes against your view of a God. You will turn away from the facts and be trapped in your opinion of a world that is completely wrong.

So you see, there is lots to lose, and that argument is purely stupid.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
chill guys. First and foremost its not my argument, its an argument posed by a mathematical genius known as Blaise Pascal. Secondly its not my reason for believing in God, its just another way of thinking as thrill killer pointed out. Whether you like it or not is your choice im just putting it out there as another way of looking at religion. finally If anyone here is offended by what I have said than you have my apologies.

IamBread

HSC
chill guys. First and foremost its not my argument, its an argument posed by a mathematical genius known as Blaise Pascal. Secondly its not my reason for believing in God, its just another way of thinking as thrill killer pointed out. Whether you like it or not is your choice im just putting it out there as another way of looking at religion. finally If anyone here is offended by what I have said than you have my apologies.
1. I know what it's from, doesn't make it not stupid.
2. It's a stupid way of thinking, you should only believe things based on evidence, not on fear.

The only thing I am offended by is that someone can come up with that as an argument for the existence of God, shows how stupid people are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)