Does engineering get more interesting (1 Viewer)

Khe123

HSC
N/A
probably not but i think it depends on personal preference....engineering itself is gruelling

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
1st year you don't do any engineering, you just do a bunch of science electives, 2nd year is when it starts

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, i feel as though we are just learning how to solve some complicated equations when in the end a computer machine is going to be doing all the calculations.

I guess first year is to see who gets through it and so the university doesn't release engineers that don't know how much force a bridge can withstand ie, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
btw, does anyone know what angle A+B makes with the positive axis?

edit; i got 80 degrees but that's wrong!?!?!?!

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Physics is quite over emphasised with all the assessments in it. Its has the least interesting theory atm. The labs are kinda fun though (the best part of Physics).

But other than that the maths is awesome. And in my elec subjects we are already drilling into making our own circuits....

So its quite interesting atm for me.

I'm guessing you are doing MATH,PHYS, ENGG1000 and maybe ENGG1811?

Which ones do you enjoy the most?

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
What don't you like and what were you expecting?
It feels like all the things we're learning is just.. not that interesting. I mean, if I did aviation, look at all the fun things I could be doing right now haha.

Physics is quite over emphasised with all the assessments in it. Its has the least interesting theory atm. The labs are kinda fun though (the best part of Physics).

But other than that the maths is awesome. And in my elec subjects we are already drilling into making our own circuits....

So its quite interesting atm for me.

I'm guessing you are doing MATH,PHYS, ENGG1000 and maybe ENGG1811?

Which ones do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy MATH and ENG1000 the most out of them right now

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I agree, with anomalous, phys labs are great.

such_such

HSC
Really? Engineering sounds so fun according to my friends. Like with the engineering projects and all that. I feel like transferring next year from physio but idk.

D94

HSC
N/A
It feels like all the things we're learning is just.. not that interesting. I mean, if I did aviation, look at all the fun things I could be doing right now haha.
Aviation and civil are completely different, so don't expect anything like aviation to pop up in civil. Why did you choose civil? Did you research what you would be learning before you began?

But as someone said above, the first year courses are rather mundane and science-y, whereas you start to focus on your major in 2nd year. It seems you dislike the courses that are least relevant to your engineering degree, so that's fine. In fact, many engineering students tend to dislike PHYS1A and computing (well except CSE students), so you are not alone!

Note that you are not practising engineering at uni, nor will you be learning what you could be doing in the future - you are learning the foundations that allow you to make engineering decisions if/when you become an engineer.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Aviation and civil are completely different, so don't expect anything like aviation to pop up in civil. Why did you choose civil? Did you research what you would be learning before you began?

But as someone said above, the first year courses are rather mundane and science-y, whereas you start to focus on your major in 2nd year. It seems you dislike the courses that are least relevant to your engineering degree, so that's fine. In fact, many engineering students tend to dislike PHYS1A and computing (well except CSE students), so you are not alone!

Note that you are not practising engineering at uni, nor will you be learning what you could be doing in the future - you are learning the foundations that allow you to make engineering decisions if/when you become an engineer.
yes i completely agree with D94. Right now I hate computing (in fact i moved from COMP1917 to COMP1911 today) but i do like "engineering." if you're doing ENGG1000, i assume thats the stuff thats going to waiting on the other side of your degree, being able to work as a team and all. i also hate phys1131 and wolfe isn't a good lecturer/teacher. However i do like the calculus part of math but not algebra lol

Web Addict

HSC
I really like the calculus component of MATH1141, but hate the algebra component (maybe because I actually understand what is going on in calculus).

I don't like PHYS1131 at all. It takes me so long to do one question. It's really funny how half the people love Prof J Wolfe and the other half absolutely hate him

COMP1911 is pretty fun for now, however the lectures are insanely boring.

ENGG1000 is also fine for now, probably because we haven't really done that much in relation to the project.

Overall, I find engineering to be decent so far. I would definitely prefer this over doing long and tedious readings and writing 1.5k words essays every week that other degrees do.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I really like the calculus component of MATH1141, but hate the algebra component (maybe because I actually understand what is going on in calculus).

I don't like PHYS1131 at all. It takes me so long to do one question. It's really funny how half the people love Prof J Wolfe and the other half absolutely hate him

COMP1911 is pretty fun for now, however the lectures are insanely boring.

ENGG1000 is also fine for now, probably because we haven't really done that much in relation to the project.

Overall, I find engineering to be decent so far. I would definitely prefer this over doing long and tedious readings and writing 1.5k words essays every week that other degrees do.
I though many students were exaggerating on this part but it is actually true

as for the physics questions, yes they take for bloody ever. Problem set 3 took me about 2 and a half hours but its similar to the final exam (without the answers at the bottom of course :p)

what are you guys doing in comp1911? i just moved down today and want to get a grasp of things

Web Addict

HSC
I though many students were exaggerating on this part but it is actually true

as for the physics questions, yes they take for bloody ever. Problem set 3 took me about 2 and a half hours but its similar to the final exam (without the answers at the bottom of course :p)

what are you guys doing in comp1911? i just moved down today and want to get a grasp of things
In COMP1911, we're doing loops right now. It's so boring because we've spent around 3 lectures (6 hours) on it. The lecturer said we'll probably get our assignment next week.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
In COMP1911, we're doing loops right now. It's so boring because we have spent around 3 lectures (6 hours) on it. The lecturer said we'll probably get our assignment next week.
oooohhhhhh. I'm ahead YAY!

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad

Civil engineering and Aviation were the two things that I was most interested in. Coming into uni, it was gonna be either one of the courses, so, no they weren't that different. Anyways, yes now that I see what everyone thinks, I can relate to not doing any major focused courses in the first year. Yes, I also hate both PHYS 1A and Computing, so I guess that's where all these negative vibes came from. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and just get through first year before the actual fun and interesting parts come into existence.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Civil engineering and Aviation were the two things that I was most interested in. Coming into uni, it was gonna be either one of the courses, so, no they weren't that different. Anyways, yes now that I see what everyone thinks, I can relate to not doing any major focused courses in the first year. Yes, I also hate both PHYS 1A and Computing, so I guess that's where all these negative vibes came from. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and just get through first year before the actual fun and interesting parts come into existence.
that's the spirit! :p

D94

HSC
N/A
Your interests may be akin, but they are two very different fields. What you would be doing in Aviation is vastly different to what you will be doing in Civil. Even if you can find a Civil engineering job in the aviation industry (e.g. designing/building/maintaining airports), that will be a while before you touch anything Aviation related in Civil engineering.

If by 'fun' things, you mean flying, then you don't need a degree in aviation to fly (which I'm sure you know). If you are referring to the content (for the degree), then I'm sure you would have thought Civil engineering would be 'fun' before you started, so you can't really form a solid view without first hand experience.

I wouldn't say engineering degrees are 'fun', but there are definitely courses that are very interesting. (obviously depends on what you mean by 'fun')

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)