Does anyone need any UAI counselling? (1 Viewer)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Well they say this is a Guidance and Counsel forum, so I just thought I'd ask. It could very well be something that you need.

I'll try not be as weird as a school counsellor ... but can't make any promises I wont keep :p

But like I said: It's also called counselling not just predicting! So I'm here to help! But dont ask me predictions ... I will underestimate.

Cheerio!

xGSiR

Does anyone here feel that if they don't make it into university that your parents would feel really dissappointed?

kandii112

well lemme put it this way xGSiR
If i don' tmake it to university, i'm out. Great loving parents, yes i know. THEY'RE KOREAN.

Dobby

LOL
true true
Asian parents are extremely strict (maybe not that extreme)
but i gues that's a motivation to study more? To please them as well as yourself?

Huy

HSC
N/A
My dad expects 99 from me :eek:
LOL!!!

I'm telling him to shove it...

Just kidding :p :D

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Well I have Asian parents (not oriental) and my parents are fortunately not extremely strict. Do the parents really realise what the HSC/UAI is about?

I reckon that's one of the biggest problems with parents and unrealistic expectations on students - the systems overseas (mainly asian countries) don't have all this scaling/assessment mark/external mark business - what you do is what you largely get, and that's why parents expect that hours and hours of studying is going to reiterate into a fanastic mark, without giving any consideration to the myriad of external factors that have to be included in your UAI. And do they realise it's a rank? And that the Uni course is determined by demand?

But is it really a motivation to do well? Sure you study more, but do you study smart? The hours that your pouring over notes ... without actually taking anything in are when you dont *want* to be studying. When it just wont sink in. Whereas, if you decide to pick a physics book because you want to know how a battery works (do I even have the right subject?) ... you'll learn it alot faster then being told "You must study everything to please us"

... Random thoughts ...

Does it matter what University you go to? As that's quite closely related to the UAI you get ... i.e. UWS vs USyd

xGSiR

My parents would just be extremly disappointed in me as well as my older sister.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Nupil you have said everything that I have been thinking about for months.

I'm glad someone thinks the same way.

Nupil

HSC
N/A
My parents used to expect me to be my sister with atleast 99.7 :p.

... then they noticed I barely picked up a book ...

sweetangel

Hi, i just wondering what sorta marks are needed in the exams to get a UAI of 75+. I really would like a UAI of 75.

These are the marks i got in the trails.

TRIAL (mark in exam / trail mark percentage/ trail rank)
Advanced english - 56.5/105 (mark) 53.8% (mark percentage) 41/71 (rank)
Maths 2u - 84/120 (mark) 70% (mark percentage) 17/45 (rank)
Maths Ext 1 - 29/84 (mark) 34.5% (mark percentage) 11/15 (rank)
Business Studies - 65/100 (mark) 65% (mark percentage) 17/39 (rank)
*Design & Technology - 32/40 (mark) 80% (mark percentage) 13/21 (rank)
Software - 56/100 (mark) 56% (mark percentage) 5/7 (rank)
Information Technology - 61/80 (mark) 76% (mark percentage) 2/6 (rank)

*I didn't do well in the major work for the DT project, so i dont think my DT mark will count.

What would i need to improve on???
I dont think i'll make drastic improvements, i think my trails we the top marks i can achieve. But what sorta marks would i need to get 75.

Thanks

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i just hope i haven't spent hours, years, of school for nothing

Nupil

HSC
N/A
What can I say Huy, fantastic minds think alike, oui?

I do feel very strongly about the pressure on youths to perform well today - and that's largely linked with the UAI ... NOT the HSC, and very few people in society seperate them as two different things. Stupid masses.

But it's also strange, that expectations for youths are being raised higher and higher, and not solely in the UAI department - but for everything. I dont understand it. 50 years ago - an apprenticeship was considered a fantastic opportunity ... and now its quite frowned upon. The RBA were throwing apprenticeships to everyone.

Stupid society. I have issues.

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Do you think your UAI result defines having wasted years at school? Do you feel that your final UAI accounts for everything that school is? ... what about the rest of your years 'wasted' there, not in attending classes, but evovling socially, making friends, being exposed to various things in our society, articulation, being part of a common institution?

And Sweetangel, I don't mean to be rude ... why is that in this thread? I'm sure someone nice would've replied it by now ... but, why is it in here? ... I'm not one for predictions, harrass resident Huy for that.

xGSiR

Asian parents just want their kids an easier life. So to them, University is the assurance we would have. Even though making into Uni isn't the end of the world, some what my parents still think so. I think Tafe isn't an option for me to my parents as University is the only way to go.

ALSO, my parents want it as bragging rights, whether their friends ask them, how is your child going, my mum finally wants to say he is in uni since my two older sister and older brother didn't go so well. Jee huge pressure aye.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Didn't you make another thread sweetangel... :confused:

but, why is it in here? ... I'm not one for predictions, harrass resident Huy for that.
I've already predicted hers in another thread (she created another).

:)

Last edited:

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Do you think there's more pressure if older siblings do better or worse?

I suppose bragging right is what the UAI comes down to for all people - as Huy said in another thread, people on want to talk about the marks that are 90+ ... schools, students, parents, friends, BOS ...

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Nupil
Do you think there's more pressure if older siblings do better or worse?

I suppose bragging right is what the UAI comes down to for all people - as Huy said in another thread, people on want to talk about the marks that are 90+ ... schools, students, parents, friends, BOS ...
I think it can work both ways. I can't speak from personal experience, cos I'm the oldest in my family, but from various "family friends" I have seen the pressure on the younger sibling cos the older one went well.

The thing is, education is so highly valued in Asian countries. In Hong Kong it's really bad, cos everything boils down to the big external assessment. not like here, where we have it spread out. so when parents come over here, they think, Australia is a land of opportunity. so if they never got the opportunity to become a doctor or lawyer or whatever, they push their kids to become them.

I've met parents who brag about their kids and quite frankly it makes me sick that they use their kids in such a way.

is a roflcopter
HSC
99.5, 98.6, 98.5

3 scores of family friends

im in deep shit :p

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
are their parents the bragging type and are yours the put lots of pressure on newbie type?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Newbie:

You can either get:

99.6 or 98.4 :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)