Does anyone here work in Big W? (1 Viewer)

JoOYcE!

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
I work at bankstown big w...we opened mid last year...been there since then... it's fun :D
Hey there... :wave:
im planning to work at Big W in Bankstown too....
could you please give me tips on working there because since it's my first job and all i really do not know how im going to manage LOL... but i'd really appreciate it..
i was also wandering how much you get paid and at which stage did you start working e.g the cash register... did you also apply on the internet or did you go up too the manager and ask for a application??

Last edited:

Borbor

HSC
There are three main jobs
1) Checkouts
2) Recovery
3) Nightfill
when you get interviewed you choose which one you wanna do.

For casual employees
16&Under: $9.55/h
17: $10.505
18: $12.895
19: $15.280

Hope that helps.

tennille

HSC
Borbor said:
Alright, thanks for that advice - I'm always too chicken to go ask about anything :p.
and tennille you work at a Big W cash office? :eek:
Yeah. I've been working in there for about a year and a half now. I used to be on the checkouts. I could never go back to checkouts. :p

Apollo34

HSC
Ive been there 3 year so far, started when i was 14 and that was as register operator. We got less pay back then, 9.27 a rather i think. A year later i moved to Home Ent and Layby a lot.
Then just 6 months ago i took a 'Traineeship' which means you study Cert II in Retail at Tafe and become a Trainee manager in a department. This is going well for me, even though i dont want to seek a career in retail, i get a higher pay and a much more comfortable job to keep me going during High and Uni years.
Big W is orite, its dirty, low budget and incredibly cheezy. But its a well payed little job and you can easily look for other jobs in one of Woolies other branches.

JoOYcE!

HSC
when would it be the best time to apply at big W??

im thinking of applying now although since im in the middle of doing my HSC at the moment im scared that they might take me in and i might get disturbed from studying for my HSC

beentherdunthat

HSC
JoOYcE! said:
Hey there... :wave:
im planning to work at Big W in Bankstown too....
could you please give me tips on working there because since it's my first job and all i really do not know how im going to manage LOL... but i'd really appreciate it..
i was also wandering how much you get paid and at which stage did you start working e.g the cash register... did you also apply on the internet or did you go up too the manager and ask for a application??
Um well I get payed 10.50 an hour (and the rates are rising wehoo!).. and 15 something on sundays...time and a half :D ... Australia day was double time and a half :D got paid like 25 an hour.

We have a really picky manager these days...you stuff up she'll counsell you!LOL... nuh she's cool... Apply on the internet...it's the 21st century dammit...www.bigw.com
If you want to start with cash register than we'lll just train you (you get paid for this :D) and then you just start your shifts... good luck :D

beentherdunthat

HSC
JoOYcE! said:

im thinking of applying now although since im in the middle of doing my HSC at the moment im scared that they might take me in and i might get disturbed from studying for my HSC
Um apply now, in 3 months time and during the christmas season (we need lots of people then, its like a MAD HOUSE! LOL )

JoOYcE!

HSC
so do you actually get to pick which stage you want to start first?

tennille

HSC
They're not really stages. You choose to work either night fill/recovery, sales associate or checkouts. If you work on checkouts, you can then move to other places like lay-by home entertainment, cash office, etc. But once you have learnt checkouts, you can also choose to do some recovery shifts, etc.

Borbor

HSC
JoOYcE! said:

Yea, allow 3months in advance but I wouldnt suggest you get a job now because they do demand quite a lot of hours when you first start off.

So should I just go up to the Cash office, knock and ask politely "Excuse me, but I was wondering when I'm eligible to receive my staff discount card?"

Last edited:

"Chubby"

HSC
constantly look on the big w website for any positions available...i do it everytime i go on the net ahahah i do it for my friends lol

daniel4592

HSC
Ive applied at plumpton for Night Fill and a Traineeship thing for 2 years.
Do you guys know what my chances of getting one would be?
Im 15 Male In year 10 going to stay at school until I finnish Year 12 then move on to tafe or Uni.
And how long does it take them to tell you if you got the TraineeShip positition Close is on the 31st July 07 would it take 3 months for this position too or would you know in a week or 2 because its a traineeship thing?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, seriously, apply now. It's a rule of thumb for most positions during the Christmas period--apply during August/September but if you're free during school holidays apply now because it'll get you in a month ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)