Does anyone here work in Big W? (1 Viewer)

JoOYcE!

HSC
Hey Everyone!
im in 12 right now and in a state where im desperate to get a job next year when i leave school
But the problem is ive never had a job before and i really want
to work at Big W or K-Mart
can anyone help me out here please? :)

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
Yeah just go to their sites, apply and hopefully they'll call you. What kind of 'help' are you after specifically?

JoOYcE!

HSC
kate_is_me said:
Yeah just go to their sites, apply and hopefully they'll call you. What kind of 'help' are you after specifically?
ohh i was hoping someone would give me tips/advice on getting a job in big w
e.g: the type of people theyre looking for?, or what is it like working in big W?
Basically any tips which will help me in successfully getting the job at BIG W

G

Gavvvvvin

Well your not getting any job until you apply online :santa:

"Chubby"

HSC
don't they normally put new people on recovery first?!

id say in layby, ur getting paid to watch movies :p

"Chubby"

HSC
hahah at least u get to be at other areas.

i was originally hired for checkouts but as i did work experience in apparell, i chose to do apparell and have been doing that ever since...occasionally i would do fitting rooms and ive been on the door when they're desperate for ppl. I have never touched a checkout.

isn't there a tv at layby at ur big w gangles mcgee?

JoOYcE!

HSC
how long did it take you guys to get a call from the manager to say you got accepted into the job

"Chubby"

HSC
i actually got the job after doing one wk of work experience in the same store way back in 2004. I can't remember how long it took, but after a yr and a half, i left and came back late last year, and i had to do the interview and induction again. The day after the interview i had to call the guy who interviewed me and ask if i got it...cos he said he'll call me the next day but he hasn't..so yeah and i got the job back :)

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
The type of people they are looking for are 15/16 year olds. By the looks of it, they don't give a crap about past work experience, as long as they are cheap. I've worked at Big W for 4 years, and pretty much every single person they have hired are really young school students with no work experience what so ever. I know people who have applied who, despite the fact they may be older, have past experience in the retail industry, and have not even bothered to respond to their five or so applications they have filled in.

I got the job when I was 15. It took them three months to respond to my application. However, this was back when they were still accepting applications on paper at the store itself.

All I can suggest you do is continue to apply for the job every month and maybe even get in contact with the area manager (you could always ring the store your interested in to find out who it is).

Borbor

HSC
Hey, I work at Big W on the checkouts- got hired last year before Christmas. I was only 14 anyway basically you have to keep checking the Woolworths career website til you find a Big W opening near your area.

You apply and then you wait a couple of weeks (for me it was 2), then they'll send you an email saying whether you've been rejected or accepted by the area manager.

If you get accepted, in that email it'll invite you to an interview at the store. The interview consisted of introducing yourself and the guy next to you, giving a briefing on a random product (orange listerine for us :)), writing a short response to what you would do in a situation and finally an individual interview. I was 2nd :eek:, he just asked me why I wanted the job, what I could offer, asked me when I could work and went through the policies.

A week after that they send you an email whether you get accepted or rejected. If you get accepted you have to call the area manager and confirm your induction. It's a 5 hour induction that you get paid for. They run through history and intro of Big W, organise all your bank details and paper work - stuff like that. Oh - induction was a group one.

Overall, Big W is AWESOME! The people there are real nice and friendly (even gave me a christmas card 2 weeks after I started working!). Pay is great [they just had the stores agreement with union renewed so wages have gone up] and the customers are usually OK.

Last edited:

"Chubby"

HSC
omg i so agree with u about the customers ahah

i like working at my big w as well...the ppl are nice...

which store do u guys work at gangles and borbor?

beentherdunthat

HSC
I work at bankstown big w...we opened mid last year...been there since then... it's fun :D

Borbor

HSC
Macquarie.

Sorry to hear about your crummy customers but once in a while I, too, get a rotten apple especially when they want a dammed price check.

"Chubby"

HSC
omg one of my old bm's moved to bankstown last year...i wonder if she's still there ahaha

Borbor

HSC
Do you guys have your staff discount cards yet? And if yes, how long did you have to wait?

I've been working three months already, not sure if that's long enough...

tennille

HSC
We get them fairly early. It used to be after 3 months which was the length of the probation period (probation period is now 6 months). But I've been giving out staff discount cards to associates who have been working less than that. Ask the cash office about it.

Borbor

HSC
Alright, thanks for that advice - I'm always too chicken to go ask about anything :p.
and tennille you work at a Big W cash office? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)