Does anyone else feel really pressured into certain career paths? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
My parents never finished high school but really want me to be a doctor. Part of me wants to study medicine too - a part of that genuinely wants to help and another part just wants to prove that she can do medicine.

But to be honest, if I fail UMAT, I'd be relieved.

Then I could study law/international relations or language/international relations and major in arabic and mandarin - like I actually want to. I think I could maintain and distinction average and be a serious competitor for the DFA graduate program.

Just nonsense.

Anyone else feel this way?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
No..I don't.
I personally don't think you should become a doctor unless you really want to.

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
My parents never finished high school but really want me to be a doctor. Part of me wants to study medicine too - a part of that genuinely wants to help and another part just wants to prove that she can do medicine.

Then I could study law/international relations or language/international relations and major in arabic and mandarin - like I actually want to. I think I could maintain and distinction average and be a serious competitor for the DFA graduate program.

Just nonsense.

Make your own decisions of what you want to do for your career, i don't see any reason to be pressured into becoming a doctor when you don't particularly want to do it, and your parents aren't doctors themselves (I'm assuming since you said they didn't finish high school).

" a part of that genuinely wants to help" You can do this in the things you want to study aswell.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
My mum really wanted me to be one of those kids who do a 5 year degree in 4 years, graduate into 6 figure income and have articles written about them in AFR and Money/Property magazine

meanwhile in struggling with grades and barely earning a quarter of the 6 figure salary i'm supposed to have by next year

can't even count the number of times "multi-millionaire" has been said when talking about my future, it's going to be great when she learns most lawyers don't make anywhere near that much unless you work in like M&A :haha:

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
My mum wants me to do something secure, which is why she is urging me to Nursing and Midwifery. She also wants me to work around women and children.

TBH I really really wanted to do a B Social Research/Social Work @ UNSW, but I guess Nusing/Arts will suffice...

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Just nonsense.

Do this.

There are graduate medical programs that you can do after you finish an undergraduate degree, so if you don't like your international relations course you can always do post-grad medicine (or do an undergrad transfer). Imo you should always go for what you really want to do first.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
In other words don't restrict yourself, because finding yourself takes time to do. Increase your scope.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Don't do medicine. It's one of the most full on, intense courses and careers there are, so you need to have a passion for it.

I met someone who was doing medicine even though they "hated science". They only lasted a semester.

enoilgam

HSC

Medicine isnt the kind of career that you can do if you arent that committed or interested - the training is long and the job can be quite challenging. Your parents arent going to do your career, you are so pick something you like.

You will need a lot more than a D average for any graduate program these days.

My mum really wanted me to be one of those kids who do a 5 year degree in 4 years, graduate into 6 figure income and have articles written about them in AFR and Money/Property magazine

meanwhile in struggling with grades and barely earning a quarter of the 6 figure salary i'm supposed to have by next year

can't even count the number of times "multi-millionaire" has been said when talking about my future, it's going to be great when she learns most lawyers don't make anywhere near that much unless you work in like M&A :haha:
My Dad is in love with Law and has always lamented the fact that I didnt stick with it - but to be honest, he doesnt really understand what it involves. He just sees the "big money" and thinks that all there is to it is collecting a massive paycheck.

Futureunswmedstudent

HSC

Just nonsense.

I feel you. I want to do medicine but at times i feel like it is what i should aim for since my parents put so much money and effort into me and i kinda want to repay them and make them proud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC
I feel you. I want to do medicine but at times i feel like it is what i should aim for since my parents put so much money and effort into me and i kinda want to repay them and make them proud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't do medicine if you don't enjoy it. The hours you will be working as a registrar is 80-100 hours. It is unbearable if you don't want to do it.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
My parents expect me to be
1) A doctor or
2) A lawyer or
3) An accountant or
4) A millionnaire or maybe
5) the PM

But screw that I only do what I want to do

CaptainPrice

HSC
Happened to me last year, but by then I had already decided on a different career path - though I never would've considered it if it wasn't for the fact the area pays decently.

I always understood my parents wanted me to become a doctor for financial stability, but once I explained to them that there are other areas that pay well (showing statistics, forecasts etc) they allowed me to redo my preferences.

Perhaps you could deviate a bit from your original goal and pick a career that you know will have enough demand? Not sure if Law/International relations is in demand - it could be, do your research! :)

Also, talk to your parents, it can be daunting initially, but you might find out they understand more than you think (this me coming from Asian parents haha).

CaptainPrice

HSC
My parents expect me to be
1) A doctor or
2) A lawyer or
3) An accountant or
4) A millionnaire or maybe
5) the PM

But screw that I only do what I want to do
It's only natural for parents to have high expectations for their children! :)

photastic

HSC
My whole family laughed when I got that mystery umat. My parents fortunately only wanted the best out of me and gave me choices. However, whatever I choose they literally want the 'best.' Lol

Murielies

HSC
But then again....can you you really do well enough in a career that makes you miserable to make them feel proud? Would they be happy if you were unhappy for a good portion of your life? I like to beleive that in general, good parents would want thier kids to be happy. As long as they're doing legal things. If you do extremely well in something that you enjoy immenesly...I hope that that would make them proud.

turntaker

HSC
I think if any of you are pressured into becoming a doctor and don't have a passion for simply don't do it. Becoming and being a doctor is not easy and you have to truly love what you're doing to enjoy it. If you're after money I think there are better alternatives then being a doctor.

If you genuinely want to help people and save lives and care for others then by no means follow your passion.

enoilgam

HSC
I think if any of you are pressured into becoming a doctor and don't have a passion for simply don't do it. Becoming and being a doctor is not easy and you have to truly love what you're doing to enjoy it. If you're after money I think there are better alternatives then being a doctor.

If you genuinely want to help people and save lives and care for others then by no means follow your passion.
If money is your primary/only aim, then there are way better options then medicine. You could earn that money in Commerce if you climb the food chain - Id argue that is a much easier than going through Medicine.

turntaker

HSC
If money is your primary/only aim, then there are way better options then medicine. You could earn that money in Commerce if you climb the food chain - Id argue that is a much easier than going through Medicine.
Or you could just start some type of business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)