Monstar

HSC
Re: higher return than stockmarket?

chartist or fundamentals?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Fundamentals. Even on my spec trading activities it's still largely driven by fundamentals and my perception of 'it's a bargain'.

Monstar

HSC

Yeah i just started.. been reading about it for a while and decided to put my money where my mouth is. JBH was a fine buy my valuations.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah i just started.. been reading about it for a while and decided to put my money where my mouth is. JBH was a fine buy my valuations.
Over my trading life I've only ever purchased/sold it twice.

26/09/2008 B JBH 300 12.26
29/10/2008 B JBH 350 9
15/04/2009 S JBH 650 12.6

1/04/2010 S JBH 1500 20.583467
31/03/2010 B JBH 1500 20.256607

I'm not a huge fan of retail stocks though... seems too dependent on consumer confidence and interest rates.

Monstar

HSC

Interesting.

The only time I pay attention to economic factors is to determine the litmus for whats 'hot' and whats not. JBH ,imo, is a solid business, so if i stick to whats a good business itll be the best to weather any macro shocks. haha thats the plan and I hope it comes true *fingers crossed*

But thats the market though, all strategies have pros and cons. stick to what you enjoy and what you think is best and youll do well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Agreed with the approach of sticking to what you find works. IMO the problem with uni is it teaches you a lot of theories which cloud your opinion a lot... for example, a share price could represent net tangible assets + premium, or it could represent discounted cash flows, etc... and hence anything which is already a 'good business' now, should in theory already have that factored into the price!

*shrugs* I trade on volumes which helps a lot. Switched to Bell Direct recently but have found their interface a bit hard to use making me less likely to trade. Also I miss Commsec's T+3 settlement.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

I'd like to, but I have absolutely no idea where to start =(. When people start talking about shares, it starts sounding like a foreign language to me!

Monstar

HSC

Agreed with the approach of sticking to what you find works. IMO the problem with uni is it teaches you a lot of theories which cloud your opinion a lot... for example, a share price could represent net tangible assets + premium, or it could represent discounted cash flows, etc... and hence anything which is already a 'good business' now, should in theory already have that factored into the price!

*shrugs* I trade on volumes which helps a lot. Switched to Bell Direct recently but have found their interface a bit hard to use making me less likely to trade. Also I miss Commsec's T+3 settlement.
I've pretty much chucked out efficient market hypothesis...after doing a large segment of behavioral finance i'm convinced that its not always in play. Essentially the style i employ is that of value investing (warren buffett, einhorne etc). Its a question of whether I can do it properly.

From what I read accounting is a pillar of investing.. lucky you're doing CA. hah!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

got rank 11 in JP Morgan comp last year - haven't traded though I have been meaning to go buy some gold and silver.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

I'd like to, but I have absolutely no idea where to start =(. When people start talking about shares, it starts sounding like a foreign language to me!
For what it's worth, in most social settings, people who talk shares probably know not much more than you but thanks to a string of good luck, they have an overinflated sense of expertise.

That being said, my Mum is by no means in anyway technical yet she's managed to trade from a $500 account in the late 70's to a very diversified portfolio worth about ten times the average annual salary. For someone who is a nurse and has had absolutely zero financial training or knowledge, she's done surprisingly well.

Last edited:

jayy100

HSC
N/A

How do you start trading? Is there some website, where you can sign up and then just trade online?

Do you have to be over 18? :S

PilotMerp

HSC

How do you start trading? Is there some website, where you can sign up and then just trade online?

Do you have to be over 18? :S
No you dont
But if you are under 18
Unless you have a TFN then you will be charged the highest bracket income tax rate.

jayy100

HSC
N/A

No you dont
But if you are under 18
Unless you have a TFN then you will be charged the highest bracket income tax rate.
haha good i have a TFN :]
whats the best way to get started? I'm genuinely interested in this :]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Realistically unless you have at least $5k (and are willing to risk it), I'd stay away from this until you've had a decent chance to play around with things like the Stock Market games run by ASX for high school students.

That being said if you really want to get in on the action, the cheapest/easiest way (assuming you don't have that much cash and don't want to get a TFN/etc) is maybe just to use either your parents or siblings name to open an account with Commsec. They'll need to declare any capital gains (or losses) on their tax return but it probably won't be that much so it's easy to keep track of and also calculate the marginal tax on anything you make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)