Do you need to have more than one science other than Chemistry to get into Medicine? (1 Viewer)

MzRobinHood97

HSC
So, as in my signature is my subjects. I'm currently in Year 11 and just wonder if I need to drop a subject and change it to another science. Do I need to Have Biology too to increase my chance? Are my subjects good for Med? I have capability to get really high marks in all of these subjects.. Do you know anyone that got in Med with Chemistry alone as a science?

Any help will be appreciated!!!:) I have until two weeks to decide.

Btw Religion is compulsory..

J280

HSC
Re: Do you need to have more than one science other than Chemistry to get into Medici

So, as in my signature is my subjects. I'm currently in Year 11 and just wonder if I need to drop a subject and change it to another science. Do I need to Have Biology too to increase my chance? Are my subjects good for Med? I have capability to get really high marks in all of these subjects.. Do you know anyone that got in Med with Chemistry alone as a science?

Your current subjects will be fine if you are interested and are good at them. Biology and Chemistry are not prerequisites for Medicine at most universities, although Chemistry is recommended. +yes, I do know someone who got into Medicine with just Chemistry.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Re: Do you need to have more than one science other than Chemistry to get into Medici

There's no HSC subject prerequisites for medicine, I believe. There's possibilities of getting into med without science (not really recommended, but whatever floats your boat). Biology helps with med, definitely, as I've heard you learn HSC bio in the first couple of weeks or so. TBH, as long as you get that ATAR into your course, that's one of the things they'll look at (+ interview and UMAT)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Really in the HSC, just take what will give you the highest ATAR for med.

I've seen no maths/science get in because they capitalise on humanities' prowess.

enoilgam

HSC

From what I can remember, in NSW maths was assumed knowledge for some Medicine courses, whilst Chemistry was recommended. If you want to do Medicine in another state, then I think there are a few pre-requisite science subjects.

Other than that, do whatever subjects you think will net you the highest ATAR.

study1234

HSC
From what I can remember, in NSW maths was assumed knowledge for some Medicine courses, whilst Chemistry was recommended. If you want to do Medicine in another state, then I think there are a few pre-requisite science subjects.

Other than that, do whatever subjects you think will net you the highest ATAR.
Exactly this. Chemistry is only recommended, but not required. Entry into Medicine is very competitive, so just everything you can to maximise your ATAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A

As stupid as it sounds one could get into med with English (Standard), Society and Culture, Studies of Religion, Legal Studies and Business Studies if your mark was high enough

rothrules96

HSC

As stupid as it sounds one could get into med with English (Standard), Society and Culture, Studies of Religion, Legal Studies and Business Studies if your mark was high enough
actually most unis that offer medicine require advanced maths as a minimum requirement.

Medman

HSC

No pre requisites that I am aware of.

Science helps after you get in only slightly but you can study for it even if you don't have a science background.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

No pre requisites that I am aware of.

Science helps after you get in only slightly but you can study for it even if you don't have a science background.
this

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC

Really in the HSC, just take what will give you the highest ATAR for med.

I've seen no maths/science get in because they capitalise on humanities' prowess.
These people are the 1%

Who drop out of med to become a nurse

MzRobinHood97

HSC

I dont get what you mean by:

Medman

HSC

If you have seen people get in without science then I don't understand why you're even asking this question? Do what you're good at end of story.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC

Do what you're good at end of story.
But if what you're good at isn't science then medicine probably isn't for you.

MzRobinHood97

HSC

I dont know anyone who's gotten in, okay. I asked because I didn't know. Geez. Why would I ask if I knew -.-

Medman

HSC

I thought you knew people who already got in I must have misread. I have known people who got in without science. Definitely not many though. Most people do at least 1 science.

Last edited:

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad

I only did chem in grade 12 (dropped physics in grade 11).

In NSW, it's only recommended, but be careful if you want to apply for other universities because some of them have prerequisites (usually chemistry and English). Two friends have told me on separate occasions that they were really, really glad they did biology but really they go over everything you need to know so if you can learn well independently you should be right.
Also this isn't NSW bio so it could be entirely different. You could probably teach yourself enough content for the relevant topics in your summer holidays (what I'm planning on doing heh).

Xt

HSC
N/A

So, as in my signature is my subjects. I'm currently in Year 11 and just wonder if I need to drop a subject and change it to another science. Do I need to Biology too to increase my chance?Are my subjects good for Med? I have capability to get really high marks in all of these subjects.. Do you know anyone that got in Med with Chemistry alone as a science?

Chemistry and English are the only compulsory subjects if you wish to apply interstate. Biology isn't a pre-req so only do it if you're good at it and hence bump up your atar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)