Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

Nuclear

HSC
Can someone giv me the exact wording of the question? I'm pretty curious.

And lol, marking someone down for totally relying on memory - hey kiddo, half the state does their shitty memorised essays and so did you.
I didn't actually memorize my essay, but I accidentally did two texts. I didn't realize it said one. Dx.

EDIT:

"Understanding nourishes belonging.
A lack of understanding prevents it"

was the quote.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I didn't actually memorize my essay, but I accidentally did two texts. I didn't realize it said one. Dx.
That's even worse

Don't worry about it, AOS is only 40%
*clings on to last thread of hope*

ajaxandacme

HSC
I was talking to my English teacher and he said, yes you would lose like 1 mark for using two related texts because you didn't meet the requirements of the question.
Argrgrghhhhhhh.... ONE related text was evil!!! Thanks Board of Studies so much. Not only give us belonging but screw up with our expectations... I did ONE related and cut out all my synthesis to the second related... hope the essay was alright... That question made no sense for people doing Dickinson T_T.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Your english teacher's retarded
I would use two related texts if I was only going to lose one mark
What the hell

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Well either way I really don't think they'd take off marks.

But as mini says, the essay will be interwined with another text and the flow will be lacking. That's where the 'lost marks' are.

Nuclear

HSC
That's even worse

Don't worry about it, AOS is only 40%
*clings on to last thread of hope*
Yea, it means I didn't read it properly.

However, my essay was really nicely constructed. I was proud. If it weren't for the 2 texts, I honestly think I'd be looking at 14 or 15.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Also note that I reckon if they did deduct x marks for using two essays, they'd still consider both texts as you've already been punished for your mistake.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
They might do it like the sciences. You only have to do one option but if you do two they only count the better one.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Well, I doubt that they will completely ignore the second text, but rather view it as additional material referenced rather than one of the primary texts you talk about. I did use a third text, but I made it very clear that it wasn't my 'official' ORT but rather just an additional reference.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
They might do it like the sciences. You only have to do one option but if you do two they only count the better one.
Careful buddy, you're mixing two of the most incompatible things in the world together ;)

Sadiah

HSC
to be very honest.. i think it's only fair you get deducted marks if u do more than one because:

1) even though i had a memorised essay with 3 related texts, I managed to write a really shit roughly 800 word essay and its not fair that someone who writes on 2 with a lot less depth gets more marks than me
2) you completely ignored the question and showed u depend purely on memory...the question probably was very purposely worded that way to break the memory habit

sorry but i think its only fair :/
Indeed.

ajaxandacme

HSC
Your english teacher's retarded
I would use two related texts if I was only going to lose one mark
What the hell
Actually he's a pretty good teacher. Best teacher.
No, I think he was trying to be nice to the people who did 2 texts. Even he was surprised that they put ONE related text. Most of the state would be tripped up by it. But there's minimal chance of you getting 15/15 I think. You have to lose marks. But I'd think they'd disregard one of your related texts as well so its not going to be good.

Enigmanation

HSC
to be very honest.. i think it's only fair you get deducted marks if u do more than one because:

1) even though i had a memorised essay with 3 related texts, I managed to write a really shit roughly 800 word essay and its not fair that someone who writes on 2 with a lot less depth gets more marks than me
2) you completely ignored the question and showed u depend purely on memory...the question probably was very purposely worded that way to break the memory habit

sorry but i think its only fair :/
This. It was more than likely an attempt to reinstate the fact they DONT want you to memorise a pre-prepared essay.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yeah it's so awesomely awesome that they decide to do it in our year

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i think a better approach of preventing memorized essay is to give the students related texts inside the exam (ofc eveyrone gets the same text) rather than mkaing it one text only

HSC
What don't you understand? They won't directly mark you down, they won't directly mark down anyone. Nobody will 'lose' marks.
But the markers will completely ignore what they wrote about their second text, hence they wasted time and their essays will be incomplete. In this way, they lose marks, in the sense that they won't gain the marks that they normally would have.
Isn't it common sense?
This is more than likely going to happen. We know for sure that the marking room is going to get heated!

cole-

HSC
N/A
shit
bugger

i debated with myself in the exam room
it didnt say
AT LEAST ONE
or
ONLY ONE

it just said one
which means you COULD potentially have additional texts and sources if you want.

im grasping at straws.
=/

i hope they just disregard the second one then
i did 13-14 pages, so it wont REALLLYYY matter that much.
i spose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)